Music: New Metallica Album "Hardwired...To Self-Destruct" out November 18

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Oh snap, just heard Moth. Best Metallica song since Fuel. Heavy, melodic, decent vocals and solo. I didn't think they had that left in them.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Damn, Moth into Flame is really good. Was really not expecting that. Death Magnetic was a big disappointment. It had a lot of potential, but wasn't produced well at all, sonically and in terms of song structure and pacing. The songs were bloated with unnecessary and awkward transitions.

Hardwired was a fun song, but a little cliché and lacking some musical depth. Moth into Flame has me really excited. The structure is well thought out, the song has a right balance of melody. The lyrics have substance to them. Sonically, it sounds great.

I really didn't think they had it in them. The only draw back is Kirk's solo. He seems to have forgotten that what made him successful was his ability to couple speed with melodic leads. Now he just wails the pentatonic scale almost at random with no regard to actually creating a melody.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I watched the performance last night because I went ahead and watched Fallon, but was it just me or were the vocals pretty drowned out? I really couldn't hear them, which is sad for all the reasons Andy just said

(Haven't watched the video embedded above, as I'm at work, maybe they fixed it afterwards)

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Whatever excitement Moth into Flame inspired, Atlas Rise took away. The vocal melody and the guitar solo really turn some excellent riffage into pure blandness.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I liked "Atlas, Rise!" better than "Hardwired"...but that's not saying a whole lot because I really disliked "Hardwired".

I'll have to give it another listen, but so far I'd say "Moth Into Flame" is by far the best track of the 3 released.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Atlas has grown on me a little. At first, I didn't like the choppiness of it (< Blackened), but that middle section is great. I just don't get why they released a song so similar in tempo and structure as Moth. It's redundant for promotion. I'd prefer to hear something a little softer or nuanced at this point.

Mongo

Mongo likes candy!
Nov 27, 2008
Vermont
New track is kinda boring. Has an Iron Maiden feeling to it though. I'm hoping this double album is good but not holding my breath.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I'll definitely be picking through the songs individually on itunes. I have a system for whether I buy an album or not. If the total of the songs I want exceeds the album cost, I just buy the album. Otherwise, no point.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Good read http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...allica-hardwired-to-self-destruct-cover-story

Looks like the album is on two cd's

Hardwired... to Self Destruct has a dozen songs, split between two CDs (for reasons of pacing — it could have fit on one). “Spit Out the Bone” is a relentless seven-minute fusillade inspired by the dangers of virtual-reality technology. “Dream No More” is a grinding nightmare that reaches back to the mythology of H.P. Lovecraft. The moral of “Now That We’re Dead” is that love endures, but only in the grave. You can guess the answer to the title of “Am I Savage?” The overall impact is bleak — the band even rejected a triumphant song that had become a live staple, “Lords of Summer,” because it didn’t fit the mood. Asked if he’s in a good place personally, Hetfield says, “Definitely not.” Then he laughs. “I’m in both places all the time, you know? But once I start thinking, it can get dark. The last song we wrote, ‘Hardwired,’ which is the opening track and the fastest one, sums it up lyrically: We’ve always been f—ed, but we survive. Every generation says ‘I feel sorry for the next generation,’ but there is a faith that you have in mankind. Most of the time.”

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1