New Line combos and roster thread

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I
Spezza definitely needs to be on one of those PP.
'm also old school on those pp lines that don't work. Twerk at all sire. We ain't scoring, never anymore. Johnny Tavares, one of our best scorers must be starting the pp1 all the time. THAT IS THE KEY. From the faceoff on. Matthews needs to be stick ready from the faceoff on, he IS NOT THE FACEOFF GUY, since HE has to be ready to shoot from the get go. I KNOW EVERYTHANG BOUT LIFE AND ICE HOCKEY. The toronto powerplay line directors are listening, to me.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Ritchie-Kerfoot-Kase
Engvall-Kampf-Mikheyev (shutdown line)
Spezza rotates in.
What will the new "shutdown line", our trendy new line do and shut down sire? With their 8 min ice hockey time and game? They play 8 minutes in a game after our millionares, period.

Reactions: egd27

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
What will the new "shutdown line", our trendy new line do and shut down sire? With their 8 min ice hockey time and game? They play 8 minutes in a game after our millionares, period.
Dear Sire,
Said shutdown players will formulate strong units of action to defend rigorously with maximum effort in their limited time. Their 8 minutes a night can be extend to 10-12 minutes forming a 3A 3B line to form 1. Part time shutdown unit against opposing oppositions, full force. 2. Second unit of Kerf, Ritchie, Spezza/Kase to play 10-12 min a night as well to provide offence (limited, but capable).

Reactions: Coachcorner

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Dear Sire,
Said shutdown players will formulate strong units of action to defend rigorously with maximum effort in their limited time. Their 8 minutes a night can be extend to 10-12 minutes forming a 3A 3B line to form 1. Part time shutdown unit against opposing oppositions, full force. 2. Second unit of Kerf, Ritchie, Spezza/Kase to play 10-12 min a night as well to provide offence (limited, but capable).
Understood milord. I've noticed that the shutdown line is now used as a word more than ever in our toronto boards. I will be interested to see the next season and how our lines play the d-game against them other fools. I like our team very mucho deniro sire. We've added the aggressiveness and attitude and confidence into our group, the d-game is the one that interests my rear end mucho much next season. Beside the fights and hits and dirt game sire.

Reactions: Havoc and Puckstuff

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I’d like to see:

1st line: Ritchie - Matthews - Nylander
I think we should break up Matthews/Marner, both are line carrying talents. Matthews/Nylander play a beautiful cycle game, having a big boy like Ritchie causing havoc along the boards would probably be a good compliment.

2nd line: Bunting - Tavares - Marner
Hyman/Tavares/Marner looked great in the past, Bunting is a bit of a poor man’s Hyman. This could be a very strong 2nd line.

3rd line: Kerfoot - Kampf - Kase
2-way line, very strong defensively and brings decent offence. Mikheyev takes Kase’s spot if Kase is injured and/or looks washed. I prefer to leave Kerfoot here vs. moving him into the top 6 - I think our 3rd line needs Kerfoot’s skill/offence more than our top 6 does.

4th line: Mikheyev - Spezza - Simmonds
Given the top 3 lines, this is kind of a no-brainer.

Last edited:

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Put Ritchie on the top line. The other options are poor fit with the finesse linemates. Do people actually watch the games anymore? Hard to tell at this point.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
For the record, Tampa's "shutdown line" actually was good and noticeable because of its offense, not defense.

Reactions: LeafChief

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
For the record, Tampa's "shutdown line" actually was good and noticeable because of its offense, not defense.
That's exactly how they do that thang sire nowadays. They both ways good, playing okeido minutes too milord. I think okeido might have been a name of a condom back in the days too sire.... that I'm like 99% sure. Like they is or was.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Put Ritchie on the top line. The other options are poor fit with the finesse linemates. Do people actually watch the games anymore? Hard to tell at this point.
Me is watching and seeing sire, when the games begin again :clap: Its fun and hard.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He didn’t play that well for a weak hawks team. I’m not sure i really understand the thinking behind this move. I am not a adv stats guy but his were sh!tty and he doesn’t score. He is definitely not a signing the statistics said sign,doesn’t add scoring and isn’t a physical player. Just a bland player that played sheltered minutes with the the same linemates. Then he got crushed when away from his chemistry line. I’m not big on this signing. Something isn’t right.

He wasn't getting sheltered minutes tho ugh. He had something like 70% Defensive zone starts. And again, his average icetime was over 14.5 min a game which is closer to 3rd line territory than 4th line. The guy didn't sign a 2 year deal to play 8-10 min a night here

Reactions: ULF_55

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He wasn't getting sheltered minutes tho ugh. He had something like 70% Defensive zone starts. And again, his average icetime was over 14.5 min a game which is closer to 3rd line territory than 4th line. The guy didn't sign a 2 year deal to play 8-10 min a night here
Well good i hope he brings good penalty killing. He did move back and forth in Chicago from 2nd to 3rd line. Likely all defensive zone faceoffs both lines by looks of it

Reactions: Menzinger

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Any shot of Malgin being given another look?
We did qualify him, rather than just let him walk, so they must have some hope.

Also this years Barabanov, Semyonov...nowhere on anyones depth charts.

Reactions: teddygmr

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

I hope to God Malgin doesn't get a look. No need for a player like him.

Semyonov will be traded for an AHL player soon enough.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015

Malgin will be given a chance to prove he can be a top 6 winger at camp. If he isn't significantly better than his competition, he'll be traded hopefully before he's lost on waivers. Semyonov is waiver exempt, so if he can't make the team and is fine playing in the AHL for a bit that's where he will go.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
There are to many things that don’t add up with this lineup. Bunting and Ritchie are top 6 left side. After that its scrambled eggs for me. Kampf is our 4th line center and since that line is going to get a majority of the defensive draws i could see Mikheyev on there also. Maybe the perfect opportunity to slide Kase in slowly here.
Mikheyev/Kampf/Kase for a 4th line might be good if Mikheyev wasn’t such a black hole offensively. The worst part of Mikheyev is his tunnel vision. I wouldn’t be relying on him to set many plays up so he wouldn’t likely be able to help Kase score. The speed of the two works nonetheless.
Oh crap i like Mikheyev less all the time although i love his defensive game. This guy is over paid as a fourth liner.

This article lays out the complications of this roster somewhat but it goes beyond this https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-on-the-bubble-heading-2021-22/

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Bottom 6 that are not waiver exempt.
Spezza
Simmonds
Kerfoot
Kampf
Brooks
Gabriel
Kase?? Ltir kase likely
Engvall
Mikheyev
Anderson
Suomela ( who is a good defensive player his own right)

WAIVER exempt..

Robertson
Liljegren
Gogolev
Amirov ( injured beyond camp)
Abramov and many more

It doesn’t like like a chance in hell any of these waiver exempt guys make the team out of camp. It looks like our guys that are exempt are better options to play Leafs than some of these signing. Strange choices of signings Dubas made.

I see trades being made sooner than end of camp.( i hope) This is not a great roster by any means bottom 6 and goung to be be interesting who makes it through waivers or not. The toughness factor Dubas is going after might get out played by the Smaller players like Brooks and Anderson. Looks like we will be stuck with another soft bottom 6.

Last edited:

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto

G/60
Gourde, 0.92
Engvall, 0.9
Coleman, 0.8
Mikheyev, 0.64
Goodrow, 0.18

ixG/60
Mikeyhev, 0.74
Gourde, 0.74
Coleman, 0.71
Engvall, 0.54
Goodrow, 0.52

Engvall would be a great part of our third line. Mikeyhev, if he ever figures out how to finish... look out.

Reactions: zeke

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Any update on Tavares, will he be ready for camp?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Any update on Tavares, will he be ready for camp?
JT is fine, no symptoms at all .. looks like Matty will be one on shelf for awhile hopefully back for an ex game or two .. got a text yesterday saying Leafs likely to try splitting top guys over 3 lines .. and they will try Dermy and Muzzy and Sandin and Holl as pairs .. Rielly pairing same .. lots of experimentation planned .. should be an interesting camp and pre-season

I would like to see them try for an ex game
Ritchie JT Mitch (TO line all play TO hockey)
Bunting Matty (Mik/Kase)
Kerfoot Willy Wayner (did well in playoffs)
Engval Kamp (Gabriel/Spezz)(big checking line with some tough or a 2nd PP guy)

Still don't think we match up well against Atlantic top 3 as we are looking more and more like a slow skilled team .. like to see more nastiness on D and more speed/grit with forwards BUT $40M on 4 guys or 50% of CAP makes it almost impossible .. should be last year for Shannyplan and Dubie i think .. but there is always hope and a prayer

Reactions: ToneDog and ACC1224

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I’d like to see:

1st line: Ritchie - Matthews - Nylander
I think we should break up Matthews/Marner, both are line carrying talents. Matthews/Nylander play a beautiful cycle game, having a big boy like Ritchie causing havoc along the boards would probably be a good compliment.

2nd line: Bunting - Tavares - Marner
Hyman/Tavares/Marner looked great in the past, Bunting is a bit of a poor man’s Hyman. This could be a very strong 2nd line.

3rd line: Kerfoot - Kampf - Kase
2-way line, very strong defensively and brings decent offence. Mikheyev takes Kase’s spot if Kase is injured and/or looks washed. I prefer to leave Kerfoot here vs. moving him into the top 6 - I think our 3rd line needs Kerfoot’s skill/offence more than our top 6 does.

4th line: Mikheyev - Spezza - Simmonds
Given the top 3 lines, this is kind of a no-brainer.
I might be wrong, but wasn’t Kerfoot more effective on offense when he played wing on top 6 line?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad