New Line combos and roster thread

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Them being millenials is completely irrelevant.

As for the bigger discussion around why these RFAs were let go without being qualified. Ritchie was most likely because of arbitration uncertainty, and Kase likely because of his injury history during his time in Boston. The fact that Foligno can play center, gives them some versatility positionally they need with Kreijci gone

My bad regarding the bolded, I meant Gen Z. The RFA correction in salaries and the type of contracts they will sign is tied directly to this age group's expectations. The frequent references to certain older coaches being unable to relate with younger players relates to this age group again. Shanny's hope for team friendly deals for the big 3 and KD's perceived rough ride in signing the big 3 were Gen X/Gen Y assumptions being applied to the younger group. I doubt today's players are going to respond to the same carrots that worked 10-15 years ago and elite players are going to tend towards elite expectations. Its not a shot a Keefe to say he would be in new territory with MM and AM

Re: Boston I don't think anyone considers Foligno a solution to a need at center. Columbus used him a bit in 2017 but that looks like it was a one season thing. He at least can play both sides and knows how to take a faceoff though where Ritchie can't. I do agree about the arbitration uncertainty but couldn't they have just declined to qualify and still tried to offer him a deal? Kase for sure and if you go on the Bruins board they like him a lot but for the injuries.

Last edited:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I want Spezza on the PP1 next season, and I no longer want 4 forwards and 1 D. I want 2 defenseman and 3 forwards playing the PP.

Keefe,

Figure it out.

Hfboards,

Come at me.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I want Spezza on the PP1 next season, and I no longer want 4 forwards and 1 D. I want 2 defenseman and 3 forwards playing the PP.

Keefe,

Figure it out.

Hfboards,

Come at me.

I just don't think our D is offensively inclined enough, not against it for some teams, am against it for ours

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
With all due respect, what sort of merits did TOR's PP gain to prove your point? Didn't they go like 0 for 59 Powerplay opportunities? Did their PP score more than 1 PP goal in 7 playoff games?

I mean sure, if you think Dermott and Brodie are the answer, great, I just don't.

I think the issue was the lack of scoring threats, and none of our D really solve that.

I am fine with them trying out different looks until something works consistently, I just don't think this is it.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
A great point shot on the PP would go along way. Then teams would fear both AM and the point shot giving some more flexibility and opening up more opps for one or other. Right now teams know they are trying to cute pass it into the net or get it to AM, who even though he has a great shot, one timer is not his speciality.
Sandin flashed some point shots but not sure if he is that solution. Muzzin?
Ritchie net front should also help.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
In 2017-18 the 3 most used PK forwards were Hyman (2:39), Komarov (2:35) and Connor Brown (1:50) and our best Dmen on SH TOI/g were Ron Hainsey (3:59) and Nikita Zaitsev (2:57) with #3 Roman Polak ( 2:30)

This was our record setting 105 point and 49 win season where the Leafs finished 6th overall in the standings with #2 best PP% and 10th best PK%.

Then we switched GMs.

In 2018-19 we added Tavares and PP% dropped to 8th and the PK% to 18th.

Then we switched Coaches.

In 2019-20 Special teams PP% end up 8th again but the PK% dropped to 25th.
In 2020-21 Special teams PP% dropped to 16th and PK% ended up 24th.

Our 24th ranked PK% now had Marner, Hyman and Mikheyev as forwards and Muzzin, Holl , and Brodie as our top SH TOI/g Dmen.

Whose your most important PKer?

The goalie of course.

Notice how the PK started slipping around the same time Andersen starting going south?

How did last years PK do with different keepers in net?

63 goalies played at least 50 minutes on the PK last year.

Where did Campbell rank on the PK? 4th best in the league.

Where did Andersen rank? 62nd in the league (just above the equally brutal Carter Hart as they became 2 goalies this year to register a top 10 worst save% on the PK over the last 15 years)

The same team, the same system and the same forwards out there killing penalties and a hugely different result with Campbell in net, and a result more in line with the underlying stats. When not playing Andersen, the Leafs PK was top 5ish in the league. Odds are overwhelmingly showing we fixed the PK just by moving on from him (as long as Kampf is a suitable replacement for Hymen, Mrazek is decent and the other boys keep up their strong PK work led by arguably the best penalty-killing forward in the league last year Marner).

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Having 1 defenceman actually allows you to have more options. However that 1 defencemen ideally would have a shot from the point allowing all the other options to really be options.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Whose your most important PKer?

The goalie of course.

Notice how the PK started slipping around the same time Andersen starting going south?

How did last years PK do with different keepers in net?

63 goalies played at least 50 minutes on the PK last year.

Where did Campbell rank on the PK? 4th best in the league.

Where did Andersen rank? 62nd in the league (just above the equally brutal Carter Hart as they became 2 goalies this year to register a top 10 worst save% on the PK over the last 15 years)

The same team, the same system and the same forwards out there killing penalties and a hugely different result with Campbell in net, and a result more in line with the underlying stats. When not playing Andersen, the Leafs PK was top 5ish in the league. Odds are overwhelmingly showing we fixed the PK just by moving on from him (as long as Kampf is a suitable replacement for Hymen, Mrazek is decent and the other boys keep up their strong PK work led by arguably the best penalty-killing forward in the league last year Marner).

Who replaces Bogozian on the PK ??

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Who replaces Bogozian on the PK ??

Since Bogo was our number 4 on the PK, I'm guessing Rielly or Dermott will fill in for his PK duty, probably dependent on performance and how the many minutes the team wants to use Rielly on the PP this year (Sandin coming in to play?)

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Having 1 defenceman actually allows you to have more options. However that 1 defencemen ideally would have a shot from the point allowing all the other options to really be options.

It has nothing to do with more options - no formation is limited by having 1 or 2 defensemen. It’s all about having more offensive skill on the ice.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I mean sure, if you think Dermott and Brodie are the answer, great, I just don't.

I think the issue was the lack of scoring threats, and none of our D really solve that.

I am fine with them trying out different looks until something works consistently, I just don't think this is it.

Biggest issue was lack of traffic. Even clear shots from the slot are usually stoppable when the goalie has a good sight line.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Biggest issue was lack of traffic. Even clear shots from the slot are usually stoppable when the goalie has a good sight line.

I think there were multiple issues, but we essentially had one shooter, and the plan was quick release (usually one-timer), it is usually hard to get in front of that.

I think it was more to do with personnel and lack of threats than to do with needing traffic or to use different options because if it was that simple, I'm sure it would have been solved.

Traffic was definitely an issue, but I just think it was a combination of many things, lack of shooters, no real point threat, no good bumper play, etc...

I almost want to see them try 5F this year.

Could have 3 good shooters (Matthews, Tavares, Nylander), a good passer (Marner), a net-front presence (Ritchie)

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think there were multiple issues, but we essentially had one shooter, and the plan was quick release (usually one-timer), it is usually hard to get in front of that.

I think it was more to do with personnel and lack of threats than to do with needing traffic or to use different options because if it was that simple, I'm sure it would have been solved.

Traffic was definitely an issue, but I just think it was a combination of many things, lack of shooters, no real point threat, no good bumper play, etc...

I almost want to see them try 5F this year.

Could have 3 good shooters (Matthews, Tavares, Nylander), a good passer (Marner), a net-front presence (Ritchie)

Traffic disrupts the goalie's vision on more than just shots. It also effects his ability to see passes and determine the flow of play around the zone. Also, traffic tends to push the goalie back towards the goal line, which increases the area of open net.

Outside of the lack of traffic, Marner's selfishness was the next biggest issue.

Reactions: BayStBullies

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
After reading that Kampf interview, he and Kase have a history together so I would think they get a shot together on the 3rd.:thumbu:

oh lord ... put kerfoot on that line and we might have the WORST named line in the history of the league

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
oh lord ... put kerfoot on that line and we might have the WORST named line in the history of the league

I'd probably trade Kerfoot in such a scenario. Not convinced that would be the best use of cap for a third line winger.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
After reading that Kampf interview, he and Kase have a history together so I would think they get a shot together on the 3rd.:thumbu:

I like this plan, as well. Sometimes there's an x factor that makes a line work, like playing with a buddy. Kampf might be an offensive black hole, but he also just might break out a bit if he clicks playing with a friend.

Bunting-Kampf-Kase would be a defensively responsible unit, and could really surprise with some scoring.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I've always thought the lines would be this.

Ritchie-Matthews-Marner
Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander
Bunting-Kampf-Kase
Mikheyev/Engvall-Speeza-Simmonds

That's what I see them being if we keep Kerfoot. If we trade Kerfoot I can see Ritchie going to Tavares LW and I hope Nylander and Marner switch spots.

Reactions: banks

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A great point shot on the PP would go along way. Then teams would fear both AM and the point shot giving some more flexibility and opening up more opps for one or other. Right now teams know they are trying to cute pass it into the net or get it to AM, who even though he has a great shot, one timer is not his speciality.
Sandin flashed some point shots but not sure if he is that solution. Muzzin?
Ritchie net front should also help.

A great point shot would have the opposition PK worrying about either Matthews or the second option along the point, which could also be manipulated via spacing to get Marner a little more space to operate. Obviously Rielly isn't it, and Sandin is quite raw. I wonder if there's a defenseman out there who can be a big shot but otherwise isn't a top 4 investment? Or conversely if there's a forward we can put back there who can just tee it up.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
A great point shot would have the opposition PK worrying about either Matthews or the second option along the point, which could also be manipulated via spacing to get Marner a little more space to operate. Obviously Rielly isn't it, and Sandin is quite raw. I wonder if there's a defenseman out there who can be a big shot but otherwise isn't a top 4 investment? Or conversely if there's a forward we can put back there who can just tee it up.
Ya just don’t know who that is?
Who has our best point shot?
Muzz, JT, Willie?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad