New KHL Webcast Subscriptions

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
No idea if my country is somehow doomed

Have you tried VPN, too? Not for any evasion purposes – for testing.

My guess is that trying KHL.tv along with a reliable VPN provider (such as Nord) gives you a better chance at success than composing a hand-written letter to the KHL. ;)

With VPN, you can select from among many fast servers in lots of various countries, including Russia, and I'd be surprised if none of them gave you a good performance when accessing KHL.tv.

Reactions: Exarz

kometa

@pucksport
Oct 6, 2011
Markranstaedt, Saxony
I had buffering issues too after they implemented the new webplayer some years ago. For me it helped to delete all cookies and use the old player, where I can adjust data rate and buffer size manually.

Reactions: Faterson

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Also, Hanson, you might want to try the KHL app for Android and/or iOS. Sometimes, when I had troubles with the stream from the webpage, the mobile stream would work fine for me (or vice versa). :huh:

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Have you tried VPN, too? Not for any evasion purposes – for testing.

Free VPNs are slow. Paid ones are... I would not say they are beyond my means but I honestly don't want to pay up around $10/month for VPN just to watch some KHL games here and there. Yearly subscriptions are cheaper but they withdraw money at once and I am not in a position to pay so much at one go. I never imagined I would complain about having to pay just $10 but this is what our country has become due to financial crisis and I did my part by being stuck at university for 7 years now with a simple job only enough to keep me afloat. Though I'll definitely try if there is limitless VPN which can also keep at least %60 of my original connection speed. VPN in Turkey never sounds like a bad investment given that even Wikipedia is banned. So far, some extension boy on Chrome with 10GB data has been enough for me.

I had buffering issues too after they implemented the new webplayer some years ago. For me it helped to delete all cookies and use the old player, where I can adjust data rate and buffer size manually.

How do you switch back to old player? Given the fact that it keeps buffering even at low quality, I think my problem lies somewhere else but I'll try this one as well.

Also, Hanson, you might want to try the KHL app for Android and/or iOS. Sometimes, when I had troubles with the stream from the webpage, the mobile stream would work fine for me (or vice versa). :huh:

Thank you but I need a solution for webpage. Oh and by the way, CSKA-Avangard game was the same as previous season... Occasional lags, sometimes buffering for a couple of secs but sometimes stream needs to be refreshed to come back... I decided to change DNS settings, thinking that it may have to do with "international lines" (since our government blocks everything, some perfectly fine content may work terribly with a Turkish-based DNS, if there is such thing; so I sometimes switch to Google or some other DNS to test) but nah, same.

I'll try switching back to old player and watch another game today. I want to believe that this is a problem on my side, KHL can't have such a stupid service in 2019.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Free VPNs are slow. Paid ones are... I would not say they are beyond my means but I honestly don't want to pay up around $10/month for VPN just to watch some KHL games here and there. Yearly subscriptions are cheaper but they withdraw money at once and I am not in a position to pay so much at one go. I never imagined I would complain about having to pay just $10 but this is what our country has become due to financial crisis and I did my part by being stuck at university for 7 years now with a simple job only enough to keep me afloat. Though I'll definitely try if there is limitless VPN which can also keep at least %60 of my original connection speed. VPN in Turkey never sounds like a bad investment given that even Wikipedia is banned. So far, some extension boy on Chrome with 10GB data has been enough for me.

How do you switch back to old player? Given the fact that it keeps buffering even at low quality, I think my problem lies somewhere else but I'll try this one as well.

Thank you but I need a solution for webpage. Oh and by the way, CSKA-Avangard game was the same as previous season... Occasional lags, sometimes buffering for a couple of secs but sometimes stream needs to be refreshed to come back... I decided to change DNS settings, thinking that it may have to do with "international lines" (since our government blocks everything, some perfectly fine content may work terribly with a Turkish-based DNS, if there is such thing; so I sometimes switch to Google or some other DNS to test) but nah, same.

I'll try switching back to old player and watch another game today. I want to believe that this is a problem on my side, KHL can't have such a stupid service in 2019.

I understand your situation with VPNs. Free ones are slow and are not free (we are the charge) and paid ones can be expensive. I only use Mulvad - Mullvad VPN

It costs £5 per month which I think is fair and I have no issues with speeds. I don't use it for streaming though, only to access some sites with my ISP blocks (it even blocks Mulvads site!)

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

Obviously you likely have done all that, but just to double check:

• Is it the same in a different browser?
  • In case you're using Wi-fi router, is it the same if you plug the cable directly to the computer? Sometimes crappy routers might cause this kind of issues.
  • Did you try to check if the issue is there while using a different computer than you have now? I mean, my good old pc can't handle decent youtube streams due to too much processing resources spent on buffering and is lagging due to no resources are left on video processing.
  • Do you have an opportunity to check if it is the same with another internet service provider? I mean, some providers are total ****** and can cause this kind of issues.
Sorry for bothering with this kind of stuff, but my experience tells me that this kind of crap is usually due to an issue on user's side, that's why i'm trying to understand it better. Obviously in your case it might be that your country's great firewall is made just of a lot of guys, who have to check your traffic manually and they can't do it fast enough. :)

Reactions: hansomreiste

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Thank you all for kind and detailed answers! The only things I probably missed are,

* trying a different provider (I tried several different computers and lines but the provider was same - we have a handful only, so most households have the most popular one)

* trying old player on KHL webcast

* VPN

I didn't try plugging in cable but I am not in a position to do so anyways, so even if it works this way, it won't help me too much.

I'll wait for my class schedule to be released. If most of them are early in the morning, it will leave me tons of free time to watch hockey. Then, I'll probably invest in a good VPN and buy yearly-subscription for Avangard. Up until then, I will keep trying to solve it with single games here and there. Let's see what happens.

I have no solid evidence to back this up but I firmly believe it has something to do with my country's internet. KHL probably made fun of Erdoğan or something like that, so they most likely blocked it. :sarcasm:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Solid VPN isn't expensive at all if you pay for 2 or 3 years upfront. I do, and VPN's uses extend far beyond hockey. Nord offers 3-year deals for $3/month, which is almost peanuts, although I understand it may not be easy for everyone to pay for all 36 months at once.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Knock on wood, it has been very decent recently. I've watched all Avangard games so far and it has been almost perfect with the exception of CSKA, although my connection was used by five different devices at that time, so it's kinda understandable. I see your point but $108 is huge for me, there is no way I'm paying this much for VPN. Moreover, sometimes VPN services also get blocked. No idea how but some VPNs simply don't work in Turkey anymore. We simply have to find new ones all the time. Though maybe this is because it's free, I dunno. But if things go that way, I won't even need a VPN by the looks of it. No idea what changed but it did in a positive way.

KHL's pricing is really weird, by the way. There is pretty much no advantage at all in "buying in bulk". For example, monthly subscription per team is 349RUB. If I buy this today, I get to watch 11 games. However, if I buy every single game separately, I pay 352RUB. Say, I am not in position to watch two games so I buy nine only. Then I'll have paid less than a monthly subscription.

Monthly subscriptions are supposed to be advantageous for fans. This is the whole point of it, similar to season tickets. At this point, buying monthly/season subscription doesn't even make sense unless you watch all 62 games of the season. Miss five to six and you'll be better off buying them all single.

(For anyone saying my math is wrong and KHL games are 75RUB each... It always gives me a fixed Turkish price via KHL app which is equivalent of 32RUB as of today. No idea if this is a bug but I sure as hell will not report that. I buy games via phone and watch them on computer. Very legal, very cool)

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Knock on wood, it has been very decent recently. I've watched all Avangard games so far and it has been almost perfect with the exception of CSKA, although my connection was used by five different devices at that time, so it's kinda understandable. I see your point but $108 is huge for me, there is no way I'm paying this much for VPN. Moreover, sometimes VPN services also get blocked. No idea how but some VPNs simply don't work in Turkey anymore. We simply have to find new ones all the time. Though maybe this is because it's free, I dunno. But if things go that way, I won't even need a VPN by the looks of it. No idea what changed but it did in a positive way.

KHL's pricing is really weird, by the way. There is pretty much no advantage at all in "buying in bulk". For example, monthly subscription per team is 349RUB. If I buy this today, I get to watch 11 games. However, if I buy every single game separately, I pay 352RUB. Say, I am not in position to watch two games so I buy nine only. Then I'll have paid less than a monthly subscription.

Monthly subscriptions are supposed to be advantageous for fans. This is the whole point of it, similar to season tickets. At this point, buying monthly/season subscription doesn't even make sense unless you watch all 62 games of the season. Miss five to six and you'll be better off buying them all single.

(For anyone saying my math is wrong and KHL games are 75RUB each... It always gives me a fixed Turkish price via KHL app which is equivalent of 32RUB as of today. No idea if this is a bug but I sure as hell will not report that. I buy games via phone and watch them on computer. Very legal, very cool)

Re the montly subs, it looks the same for me. Each game is 75 RUB to buy which is criminally low but I'm not going to complain. I'd be happy to pay a monthly fee if it worked out better but it doesn't seem to as I can't watch every game so I'm happy to pay the odd 75 RUB when I can .

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Well they finally did it.

To my horror the video highlights now display "not available in your country. All rights are held by "Premier Sports". One of the worst TV Channels/companies.

So now to watch KHL i must pay €17 per month. I did a check of the next 2 weeks worth of schedule and guess how much KHL action is on this channel... ONE GAME in two weeks!!

This channel who have paid for the KHL rights don't even list or acknowledge the league on their own website. I obviously written a complaint email to the KHL even though its pointless, I just explained I'll only be watching via pirated streams from now on then.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Old news for us – that's what happened here 5 years ago or so. They don't give a damn – the KHL is a mess.

VPN is the way to go. There are deals for as low as $1/month all over the place. The mobile Opera browser includes free VPN – perhaps it would handle the official stream, too.

Reactions: Rigafan

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Russians complain that NHL highlights are not available in Russia. The NHL is doing the same geoblocking as the KHL. So, it is just a business.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
No, it's not. A very bad example of whataboutism right there. Russia was blocking highlights in Slovakia for years while a Slovak team was playing in the KHL. It's amateurism at its harshest. Not that the NHL is perfect (NHL.com is a disaster after the redesign), but there is no comparison.

Reactions: mkev400

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
No, it's not. A very bad example of whataboutism right there. Russia was blocking highlights in Slovakia for years while a Slovak team was playing in the KHL. It's amateurism at its harshest. Not that the NHL is perfect (NHL.com is a disaster after the redesign), but there is no comparison.
It is all about exclusive rights. The league (NHL & KHL) sold those rights to a broadcaster, so matches/highlights are geoblocked at that market. It is a business. You may dislike it, but it is a reality.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
No, it's crude amateurishness. The NHL has also sold rights to US, Canadian, Slovak, Czech, etc. broadcasters, yet NHL highlights for all games are freely available in all those markets. Not to mention you can also purchase the official NHL streaming product in all those markets, whereas KHL.tv has been geoblocked for all countries except for Russia, even countries participating in the KHL. You can't get any more clueless and amateurish than that. :ha:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
You just confirmed what I said. It is all about exclusive rights.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Please read more carefully. I wrote the exact opposite of what you claimed, so I did not confirm what you said, but proved your statement to be false.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I understand selling rights and making nice media money, of course I'm all for it!

But as @Faterson says it seems too extreme at the moment. Why geoblock all Youtube highlights? I guess next the Daily KHL Update will be geoblocked - yet there is ZERO hope of premier sports to do anything with the KHL rights, I don't even know why they'd pay for them in the first place? They are such a rubbish company and will just basically abandoned it and show their 1 game every month

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
So PlayStation vue is shutting down, leaving Eleven Sports without their primary distro source.

Yet I still can’t stream it without a VPN.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
KHL app is live (and functional!!) in the USA. I don’t know how long that will last, but enjoying it while it lasts.

Have to buy by the game(¢99) for now, will see what happens next season(if there is one.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->