New KHL Webcast Subscriptions

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
If you have an Android TV, you can install Nord VPN on it and (most likely) stream games directly from the TV.

ermolli

Nov 22, 2016
Bratislava - Engerau
I like KHL hockey, but this league is marketing and media garbage. All videos are geoblocked in my country on their official site. They have khl.tv, but there is not possible subscription. Official broadcaster in my country not provide internet broadcasting. I want to pay for KHL hockey, but its not possible. Yes, there are any russian sites with illegal streams, but this is normal maybe in Russia, not in Europe... so, today I subscripted nhl.tv in black friday sale, and I am going back to North America hockey. Bye, bye KHL, maybe in better times...

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
It's possible using VPN, as explained earlier in this thread. That way, I purchased and I watch fully legal streams.

(I agree Russians are clueless about doing business, though, but that is nothing new, ever since the catastrophic experiment with Communism. The KHL really is doing everything they can to drive away potential fans and customers. In Soviet Russia, you chase customers away.) :huh:

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Last year KHL.tv would offer games in smth around 25fps, has this improved? I just can't watch it if it's that laggy. On DAZN for example the few KHL games they show are in 50fps at least. NHL.tv is in 60fps.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
There's no way to measure this, is there? Are these just random numbers, 25, 50, 60? (I've been happy with the quality this season.)

Reactions: Rigafan

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Last year KHL.tv would offer games in smth around 25fps, has this improved? I just can't watch it if it's that laggy. On DAZN for example the few KHL games they show are in 50fps at least. NHL.tv is in 60fps.

When it works and depending on which team (the league says all must have certain types of HD camera.. its clear that some still dont.. looking at you Minsk!) it works really well. SKA is usually HD 60 fps as far as I can tell.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
There's no way to measure this, is there? Are these just random numbers, 25, 50, 60? (I've been happy with the quality this season.)

Once you get used to seeing 60fps you just don't want to go back to any other quality, it sucks but its true!

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I meant there seems to be no way to verify whether you're watching 60 fps or not. It seems to be just a random number synonymous with "nice, crisp picture". (From our, the viewers' point of view; the broadcaster does know what fps they use but there's no way for us to verify that on our end, as far as I can tell. I'd rather refrain from using numbers to describe my viewing experience unless the numbers can be verified in a transparent, user-friendly manner.)

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I meant there seems to be no way to verify whether you're watching 60 fps or not. It seems to be just a random number synonymous with "nice, crisp picture". (From our, the viewers' point of view; the broadcaster does know what fps they use but there's no way for us to verify that on our end, as far as I can tell. I'd rather refrain from using numbers to describe my viewing experience unless the numbers can be verified in a transparent, user-friendly manner.)
Ok, that's absolutely a fair point!

Reactions: Faterson

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany

NHL.tv claims it's 60fps, why would they lie about it. And it definitely passes the eye test. I have watched some downloaded games years ago in 60fps and 30fps (checked and confirmed via the VLC media player back then!) and its pretty easy to tell the difference. DAZN also claims they stream in 50fps, watching hockey it's not as smooth as NHL but clearly better than 25/30fps and pretty smooth. All games I happened to watch via the official KHL page were 30, maybe 25fps. I don't think its hard to tell at all once you know how much fps different providers use and when you have watched 30fps and 60fps video before.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
It's still guesswork, so you might as well skip the numbers. Some, like you, claim they can "see" 60 fps with their eyes, and others, like myself, can't. Let alone a presumed difference from 50 fps. And yes, I'm also an NHL.tv subscriber. (Your example post failed, I think – says "404" for me.)

Last edited:

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany
It's still guesswork, so you might as well skip the numbers. Some, like you, claim they can "see" 60 fps with their eyes, and others, like myself, can't. Let alone a presumed difference from 50 fps. And yes, I'm also an NHL.tv subscriber. (Your example post failed, I think – says "404" for me.)

No of course I'm not able to see and count each fps lol. I'm relying what the providers tell me in how many fps they stream. And that's why I know very well how 60fps video looks like (been watching tons of NHL.tv and MLB.tv) and I know how 50fps video look like (been watching lots of DAZN or Zattoo- a TV streaming service) and I also know how 30fps look like, for example the DEL and KHL streaming options, NFL Gamepass, NBA League pass all of which I have been subscribed to at some point.
Due to it's fast pace it becomes apparent almost immediately when watching hockey.
And yes you can easily tell the difference btwn just 60 and 50 fps, at least when you are watching smth fast paced. Watching soccer on DAZN for example its hard see that it isn't 60fps but watching a hockey game (KHL, CHL) you can see it very well in comparison to NHL.tv. Watching it on a big screen also helps, although I can easily tell when NHL.tv skips from 30fps video to 60fps when watching on my phone.

That was just some Highlight video from the KHL page

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Is there anyone actively using this abomination of a product? Well, in general, it has been fine but it sometimes just gets out of control and starts buffering every three seconds. After watching almost SIX PERIODS, I have yet to see Avangard's goal - it is impossible to watch since it keeps buffering. My connection is perfectly good and there is absolutely nothing wrong except for the stream itself.

This thing was horrible some years ago. Now it seems to have gotten a little bit better but still far from being ideal. Do you also have problems with this thing? Again, I'm mostly trying to watch the games at 480p and I am definitely sure my connection is stable and good enough to keep playing 480p.

I know KHL doesn't give a flying f*** about the fans but I'd really appreciate it if they managed to build a working system for their streams. Not everyone lives in Russia, nor do they have access to Russian channels. I wanna support the product and pay for it but they are really doing everything to piss off people.

Since I started posting this, the streamer couldn't play 2mins. Yes. It buffers so much that it plays only three to four seconds and then goes off for around ten. Congratulations.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Is there anyone actively using this abomination of a product? Well, in general, it has been fine but it sometimes just gets out of control and starts buffering every three seconds. After watching almost SIX PERIODS, I have yet to see Avangard's goal - it is impossible to watch since it keeps buffering. My connection is perfectly good and there is absolutely nothing wrong except for the stream itself.

This thing was horrible some years ago. Now it seems to have gotten a little bit better but still far from being ideal. Do you also have problems with this thing? Again, I'm mostly trying to watch the games at 480p and I am definitely sure my connection is stable and good enough to keep playing 480p.

I know KHL doesn't give a flying **** about the fans but I'd really appreciate it if they managed to build a working system for their streams. Not everyone lives in Russia, nor do they have access to Russian channels. I wanna support the product and pay for it but they are really doing everything to piss off people.

Since I started posting this, the streamer couldn't play 2mins. Yes. It buffers so much that it plays only three to four seconds and then goes off for around ten. Congratulations.

On a desktop it works generally well for me, the quality isn't consistent though, it will go from HD to 'Can't see anything vision' and back again.

On Andriod... I just get the buffering like you which is annoying as hell!

I usually just subscribe to Latvian TV instead.

kometa

@pucksport
Oct 6, 2011
Markranstaedt, Saxony
The new packages for 2019/20 are on sale. Just booked my season for all games. The price was 2.999 RUB / about 46,50 EUR via PayPal. So it was 1.000 RUB cheaper than the last three years for me.

"Follow your team" is 1.999 RUB this year.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Nice. It's gonna be a 100% discount for me this season, because I'm not resubscribing. Hopefully, Slovan can get back to the KHL one day (or, to a futuristic NHL European division!), without this making them bankrupt (again). ;)

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
The new packages for 2019/20 are on sale. Just booked my season for all games. The price was 2.999 RUB / about 46,50 EUR via PayPal. So it was 1.000 RUB cheaper than the last three years for me.

"Follow your team" is 1.999 RUB this year.

Did they email you like usual? I have not got any info about it yet

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Did they email you like usual? I have not got any info about it yet

You can see it in Личный кабинет section if you have an account. I see the same prices as Torsten S states. However, as much as I'd love to buy a season subscription for Avangard, I will most likely refrain from doing so. It has been what, three years? I changed flats. I changed laptops. I changed ISPs. Basically pretty much everything has seen a change in my life during this period. Just one thing stayed the same: KHL webcast, for some reason, buffers even at 480p. My internet connection is able to handle much more than that and it is quite stable. Yet I haven't had the joy of watching a KHL game without constant interruptions due to buffering. It just never happens. On some days, it's better but still there. On others, it is simply impossible to watch anything at all.

I have absolutely no idea what the f*** is with me or KHL but I'm just waiting for an alternative. For example, Russian Premier Liga broadcasts some games on YouTube. In a similar vein, FNL (second division) has every single game available to watch live on Yandex Efir or whatever it's called. Yet in 2019, I can't watch a stable & legal stream of KHL with 12Mbps, LOL.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Regarding buffering, highlights works much better on mobil app than notebook for me.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
You can see it in Личный кабинет section if you have an account. I see the same prices as Torsten S states. However, as much as I'd love to buy a season subscription for Avangard, I will most likely refrain from doing so. It has been what, three years? I changed flats. I changed laptops. I changed ISPs. Basically pretty much everything has seen a change in my life during this period. Just one thing stayed the same: KHL webcast, for some reason, buffers even at 480p. My internet connection is able to handle much more than that and it is quite stable. Yet I haven't had the joy of watching a KHL game without constant interruptions due to buffering. It just never happens. On some days, it's better but still there. On others, it is simply impossible to watch anything at all.

I have absolutely no idea what the **** is with me or KHL but I'm just waiting for an alternative. For example, Russian Premier Liga broadcasts some games on YouTube. In a similar vein, FNL (second division) has every single game available to watch live on Yandex Efir or whatever it's called. Yet in 2019, I can't watch a stable & legal stream of KHL with 12Mbps, LOL.

I see @vorky just mentioned below me about your buffering and mentioned mobile app.

I have the problem in reverse to you. On my phone (usually at work and try stream it on my phone) it will work for maybe 1 period and then stop, or buffer none stop. My work has 100mb connection too! I tried talking to support and while they were friendly nothing fixes it.

At home I have only 8-10mb connection and it runs perfectly in 720p for me, so it is a shame you can't get it working I know how frustrating it must be.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I see @vorky just mentioned below me about your buffering and mentioned mobile app.

I have the problem in reverse to you. On my phone (usually at work and try stream it on my phone) it will work for maybe 1 period and then stop, or buffer none stop. My work has 100mb connection too! I tried talking to support and while they were friendly nothing fixes it.

At home I have only 8-10mb connection and it runs perfectly in 720p for me, so it is a shame you can't get it working I know how frustrating it must be.

I’m guessing your work sysadmin is not psyched about getting a stream of data straight from the motherland for some reason.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
OK, I'll buy single game for CSKA-Avangard tomorrow to watch with my brother. If it keeps buffering again, I'm not paying a single penny for KHL anymore. Seriously, I've been trying to watch this league smoothly and legally for what, maybe three or four years now, to no avail. No idea if my country is somehow doomed but I tried it with several different computers, connections, internet speed etc. and none of it ever works. I can watch 1080p videos on Twitch for hours without a single hiccup while several others are online, too. Yet KHL Webcast doesn't work properly even at 480p.

I'm starting to seriously consider the option of sending a hand-written letter to KHL HQ. No idea if they'd read it, but still. I'm tired of this stupid, "OMG KHL starts, I'm so happy - ooops, I can't watch games, bye" rollercoaster every year.

Reactions: Witte49 and Rigafan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->