New KHL Webcast Subscriptions

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
KHL Webcast Subscriptions

Here is a new, official KHL webpage offering webcast subscriptions for the upcoming KHL season:

http://video.khl.ru/page/subscription_page

Weirdly, the page is not available in English for now, only in Russian. It's mind-boggling as to why they would not at least attempt to sell the webcasts to an international audience, too, if the KHL is supposed to be an "international league". :amazed:

Normally, I'd say, "Let's hope they will add the English version of that webpage soon." But, I've given up hope on that -- we said the same thing a year ago, and it never happened.

There is still no PayPal payment option (which is amateurish and inexcusable [yes, Vorky]), but at least, compared to last season, all major credit (and debit, if net-enabled) cards from around the world are now accepted for payment. :nod: (Have yet to test this myself.)

In other good news, the price of the subscriptions themselves dropped compared to last season! :handclap: Specifically:

• Season-long KHL webcasts subscription now costs only around €91 ($122) compared to around €103 ($137) last season. Of course, that is still a high price, but I might actually consider purchasing it, if the KHL season had been longer -- at least as long as the NHL season. But, with the regular season finishing as early as March 4th, and everything being over in late April... I'm not convinced paying €91 would truly be a good value. There are also huge, useless, week-long breaks distributed throughout the KHL season (I don't mean the Olympic break, which is OK) -- something that would be unthinkable in the NHL, because it really breaks the flow of the season for both the teams/players, and the fans following the league. Let's hope that after Sochi, such disruptions of the KHL will no longer happen in future seasons.
  • An even better discount is that purchasing webcasts for a single team of your choice for the entire season now only costs around €23 ($30) compared to around €34 ($45) a year ago. This truly is excellent value, and I'll definitely be purchasing this subscription at the very least (unless I do change my mind and purchase the entire thing instead). By offering this subscription type, KHL is providing a better service than NHL Game Center, in that the subscription type "All games by 1 team" does not exist at all in the NHL. On the other hand, the KHL should not scam their customers, and if the subscription is sold as "All games by 1 team", then it really should deliver all games by 1 team. Skipping the webcast for any game -- home or away --, for any reason whatsoever, is amateurish and inexcusable (yes, ult). Even a static 1-camera webcast from the red line, with no commentary, would be acceptable as a replacement solution; but offering no webcast at all is unacceptable.

Note: Without any warning about "Early Bird" pricing coming to an end, the prices of these two subscriptions were raised back to €103 ($137) / €34 ($45) on the first day of the new season (4th September 2013), and many games still are not offered as webcasts (for example, 5 out of 12 games played on Sunday, 8th September 2013).

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I agree it is amateurish by PayPal. Man, try to get the problem and blame PayPal for it.

I can understand your complains about KHL Game Center and its un/profesionalism, but I dont get complains about "breaks, amount of games in KHL". I dont want to begin discussion about this topic here, but you have to know where is a problem and you have to know that KHL has tried to abolish EHT, WC in May, but IIHF and 4 federations are against it NOW. Not so easy for KHL... be patient, wait a season (hoping).

Even a static 1-camera webcast from the red line would be acceptable as a replacement solution; but offering no webcast at all is unacceptable.

If you follow KHL TV and KHL broadcasting policy, you have to know that KHL wants to offer as best product as possible. If any club is not able to offer it (and it is a problem but progress is there - look at Magnitka/Barys), KHL prefers to offer no webcast over a static 1-camera webcast from the red line. Offering a static 1-camera webcast from the red line would be amateurish. KHL wants to offer highest quality and we should be happy. Yes, it takes time, but as I read somewhere, Rome was not built within a day.

Last edited:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I agree it is amateurish by PayPal. Man, try to get the problem and blame PayPal for it.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ever the apologist. :D Reminds me of how in Stalin's era, Communists were blaming Americans for importing potato beetles to Czechoslovakia to spoil the harvest and starve the population.

Btw, fee free to contact KHL with your complains.
No, I won't. I did several times last season, and all I got back was boilerplate excuses. You seem to revel in those, so go ahead and "feel free" to contact the KHL. :p:

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne

Btw, fee free to contact KHL with your complains.

I am sure it's not PayPal's fault that KHL has no English version of their broadcasts/KHL TV website (there are other paying methods possible).

I liked it when they last year tried it with game highlights with English commentary. But as long as KHL won't change their attitude they can forget about becoming a real European league (it is a Slavic language one + Riga).

And then they complain that ppl in Western Europe rather watch NHL....

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I am sure it's not PayPal's fault that KHL has no English version of their broadcasts/KHL TV website (there are other paying methods possible).

I liked it when they last year tried it with game highlights with English commentary. But as long as KHL won't change their attitude they can forget about becoming a real European league (it is a Slavic language one + Riga).

And then they complain that ppl in Western Europe rather watch NHL....

I said about no PayPal.

I am sure you know how bussiness works. Your bussiness (KHL) offers a service (website in various languages, paypal, game center) if there is a demand. If there is not a demand, why to lose money for the service, which customers will not buy (in amount to be profitable)?

Look, NHL did game center for ppl living in USA and Canada, primary. This society is "IT", lets call it like that. Fans are used to pay for similar service.

Situation in Russia and even in Slovakia is different (or KHL´s countries). There are not so many fans who are ready to subscribe for it. Even "internet infrastructure" is not so great, at least in some parts of Slovakia. Etc etc. Try to understand the problem from wider point of view. Yes, KHL can do this service for fans outside KHL countries, but why??? NHL does not do that at all!

Last but not least, KHL´s policy is to improve tv broadcasting as main source of revenues and KHL has been doing it! Yes, internet (game center) is not so important for KHL NOW.

It is funny how fans, I would call them uneducated fans, want KHL to do everything within a year or two. Guys, do you remember year 2008 and tv broadcasting/game center in KHL? I do and I can tell you that now it is 10000% better.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
I said about no PayPal.

I am sure you know how bussiness works. Your bussiness (KHL) offers a service (website in various languages, paypal, game center) if there is a demand. If there is not a demand, why to lose money for the service, which customers will not buy (in amount to be profitable)?

Look, NHL did game center for ppl living in USA and Canada, primary. This society is "IT", lets call it like that. Fans are used to pay for similar service.

NHL Game Center Live is for a global audience. As a European you can see all games live and if you want any time after a game on hundreds of different devices, so I think they are caring that their European fans will get a good service.

And they also had many regular season games in European arenas to this date for marketing reasons.

PS: Are there any language versions of the KHL website other than Russian or English? What about Czech/Slovakian, Latvian, Ukrainian etc version? Even NHL has English, French, Russian, Finnish, Swedish, Czech, Slovakian and German yet they only have teams from US & Canada.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
NHL Game Center Live is for a global audience. As a European you can see all games live and if you want any time after a game on hundreds of different devices, so I think they are caring that their European fans will get a good service.
Man, NHL Game Center is PRIMARY for fans living in USA/Canada, not for Euros. Why does not NHL have special service for fans in India, China? So many inhabitants there
And they also had many regular season games in European arenas to this date for marketing reasons.
And? What does this have to do with topic?
PS: Are there any language versions of the KHL website other than Russian or English? What about Czech/Slovakian, Latvian, Ukrainian etc version? Even NHL has English, French, Russian, Finnish, Swedish, Czech, Slovakian and German yet they only have teams from US & Canada.
I will not comment this nonsense.

Salavat Yulaev

Jul 20, 2013
Almaty
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ever the apologist. :D Reminds me of how in Stalin's era, Communists were blaming Americans for importing potato beetles to Czechoslovakia to spoil the harvest and starve the population.

No, I won't. I did several times last season, and all I got back was boilerplate excuses. You seem to revel in those, so go ahead and "feel free" to contact the KHL. :p:

KHL is only five years old. A year ago it was rather former soviet union league than international. Yes there are many problems to be resolved. I think also that constructive critic comments are very useful. Otherwise those lazy geeks will never change anything.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
30$ for one team? Nice.

How many games were covered last year for Slovan Faterson? If it's 40+ I'll probably get it for Slovan, even though it's in Russian which I don't speak a word of :laugh:

ficohok*

If 30$ for one team, I am definetly going to take it.:) That is as cheap as it can be.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
KHL is only five years old. A year ago it was rather former soviet union league than international. Yes there are many problems to be resolved. I think also that constructive critic comments are very useful. Otherwise those lazy geeks will never change anything.

Yeah but you don't need 5 years to create a much better website and video streams in English. I can understand the fact that the broadcasting (and HD) of games from all arenas could be difficult to do in 5 years (as, well Russia is Russia and there are a lot of conflicting interests even if clubs participate in KHL and have agreed that the games should be televised), but what's holding back actual number of games to be seen TO BE STATED and a good product in English to be created? Probably the mindset that ''nobody will watch in English anyway, as nobody cares about KHL outside Russia and Slovaks and Czechs and younger generation Latvians do not matter in big picture'' but if it's so then the league doesn't believe in itself and that's sad.

I believe it's a big problem in post-Soviet countries- we don't want to improve anything because we think what's the use of it? Nobody will be thankful anyway, so why bother... So this mindset is seen everywhere. Even now in Riga when they're building new houses and stuff there are people saying ''who will live there, the population is declining, people go abroad to other EU countries to work'', but is this an excuse for not doing anything? Furthermore, the real estate guys don't speand your money, so if they're building there's a demand- of not from you then perhaps from Russian millionaires in Jūrmala or foreigners.... Just like in this case, if you're Russian or understand Russian 100% (like me) it doesn't mean that all people understand and have time to learn Russian. English is the world language, if you think that it's the evil capitalist American language so we won't have it then it's your problem... and ultimately the league's problem, as it will never be truly international in this fashion.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
That vorky is mad when KHL is criticized I can more or less understand because he is not a fan of ice hockey but a fan of KHL only.

What bothers me is: what is this damn BS all about with the KHL officials promoting KHL as a true international league or even worse as a league for Western and Eastern Europe at the same time.

In fact it really looks like KHL does not want to offer a decent product to the Western European market (which is perfectly understandable as they fear big money losses) but then they should stop with this BS name Kontinental Hockey League and call themselves Eastern European Hockey League or Slavic Hockey League. Or get rid off all foreign teams anyway and become Russian Hockey League.

I more and more can understand Swedish and Finnish fans' POV towards KHL these days...

PS:

@vorky NHL even has broadcasts in Punjabi. ;)

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
That vorky is mad when KHL is criticized I can more or less understand because he is not a fan of ice hockey but a fan of KHL only.

What bothers me is: what is this damn BS all about with the KHL officials promoting KHL as a true international league or even worse as a league for Western and Eastern Europe at the same time.

In fact it really looks like KHL does not want to offer a decent product to the Western European market (which is perfectly understandable as they fear big money losses) but then they should stop with this BS name Kontinental Hockey League and call themselves Eastern European Hockey League or Slavic Hockey League. Or get rid off all foreign teams anyway and become Russian Hockey League.

I more and more can understand Swedish and Finnish fans' POV towards KHL these days...

PS:

:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

you can not be serious in this post, right?

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

you can not be serious in this post, right?

look, how does KHL wants to grow in popularity in the West if we think about expansion? If nobody here ever hears sth about the league, can't watch games or understand any coverage. You can't tell me that this is perfect. Slavic guys like you have no problem to understand Russian but what about Scandinavians, Germans, Swiss ppl etc?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
look, how does KHL wants to grow in popularity in the West if we think about expansion? If nobody here ever hears sth about the league, can't watch games or understand any coverage. You can't tell me that this is perfect. Slavic guys like you have no problem to understand Russian but what about Scandinavians, Germans, Swiss ppl etc?

One more time, I can see NOTHING in chinese on NHL website. NHL does not care about chinese market, so why to have ads in chinese... agree.

KHL´s market is in countries, where KHL clubs are located. Scandinavia, Germany, Switzerland is not KHL´s market NOW. Why should KHL promote itself here? KHL has to promote itself in regions where clubs are based. THIS IS PRIMARY MARKEAT FOR KHL.

KHL´s expansion to Germany, Scandinavia etc has nothing to do with current KHL´s marketing (no website in german or game center not in english). It is all about money and power, not about curent marketing. I will ask you, would swedish clubs change opinion over night, if there was khl website in swedish or so? I am 1000%, they would not! Maybe you talked about fans?? Really? You must be naive... nobody will ask fans in Sweden, Germany, Switzerland if they support KHL in their country/city. Like nobody asked ppl in Slovakia, Czech rep or Finland.

Dont worry, KHL will do everything you want, when there are KHL clubs from Germany etc.

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
As an American, it's still easier for me to watch the KHL by other means than to purchase the service the KHL is offering, that's a bit of a problem.

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
I believe it's a big problem in post-Soviet countries- we don't want to improve anything because we think what's the use of it? Nobody will be thankful anyway, so why bother... So this mindset is seen everywhere. Even now in Riga when they're building new houses and stuff there are people saying ''who will live there, the population is declining, people go abroad to other EU countries to work'', but is this an excuse for not doing anything? Furthermore, the real estate guys don't speand your money, so if they're building there's a demand- of not from you then perhaps from Russian millionaires in Jūrmala or foreigners.... Just like in this case, if you're Russian or understand Russian 100% (like me) it doesn't mean that all people understand and have time to learn Russian. English is the world language, if you think that it's the evil capitalist American language so we won't have it then it's your problem... and ultimately the league's problem, as it will never be truly international in this fashion.

I just can't agree with that. Comparing to what was there even a couple of seasons back, the league made a major leap. And back when they took over the championship from the FHR, Russian hockey was pretty hard to watch and follow even in Russian. The webcasts, the things you may see on youtube, the KHL TV, it's a huge improvement. KHL is the most progressive sports league in the fromer Soviet Union.

I agree with you on the overall sentiment, that's how you'd expect things to be considering what generations still run everything in Eastern Europe. But I believe that hockey has much more positive outlooks even in the near future, because we already have a generation of people who have experience with how professional hockey is supposed to be handled. I can't think of any other forms of entertainment that have an advantage this big.

Still, I can't agree on the "they had five years" argument. Five years? Really? Before Prague and Bratislava joined not that many people believed that the project is going to grow this fast. It was the ex-USSR league, the Russian league. And for the people who grew up believeing that the USSR and Russia are synonymous (it's the majority of those who visit this site, okay) even more so. I remember when Hradec Kralove almost joined the KHL. People on the Runet were going like "Holy smokes, Hradec frigging Kralove! Talk about the breakthrough!" The first KHL seasons weren't like the last one or even the fourth one. The were reasons not to believe in the KHL as an international league and something that people overboard would care for.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
How many games were covered last year for Slovan, Faterson? If it's 40+ I'll probably get it for Slovan

Yes, I'm sure it was over 40 games. Some games, though, were skipped, including in the crucial fight for play-off spots. (I specifically remember the Slovan vs. Severstal game not being webcast, although that didn't affect me personally because I attended the game live. Most of the games skipped tended to be Slovan's away games against some of the lower-tier Siberian opponents, or indeed Astana -- we had to watch it via a swearing Kazakh fan's web stream of Kazakh TV playing in his living room.)

That's as :rant: amateurish and inexcusable :rant: as it can get: ditching your paying customers in the decisive final stretch of the regular season.

Also, like I said, a static 1-camera webcast from the red line, with no commentary, is definitely preferable over no webcast at all. Any true-blue hockey fan will say that, :nod: and any snob or someone who has primarily commercial interests in hockey will claim otherwise.

And this type of "simple" webcast was employed by the KHL last season for a few games, and I loved it. Loved it compared to having no option for seeing the game, of course.

No use to react to, or even read, the avalanche of crap a certain someone keeps unleashing here. :shakehead :D

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
Yes, I'm sure it was over 40 games. Some games, though, were skipped, including in the crucial fight for play-off spots. (I specifically remember the Slovan vs. Severstal game not being webcast, although that didn't affect me personally because I attended the game live. Most of the games skipped tended to be Slovan's away games against some of the lower-tier Siberian opponents, or indeed Astana -- we had to watch it via a swearing Kazakh fan's web stream of Kazakh TV playing in his living room.

I remember that, it was hilarious :laugh: I believe he was also eating dinner (very loudly) at one point :laugh:

crik

Jul 29, 2013
Riga

PS:

Go and watch your DEL. Hater. :D

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->