New KHL Webcast Subscriptions

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I still don't understand why the games are geo-blocked on the KHL website. I mean, they could at least make it available for a higher cost to those who live in countries where it's geo-blocked. The average Joe would still only watch the KHL games on for example Viasat in the Nordic countries, whereas the more hardcore KHL fans would buy a KHL subscription with English commentary (at least if they had the bigger games available with English commentary, having for example Neftekhimik vs Severstal doesn't really seem that necessary...).

And especially, geo-blocking the KHL highlights on Youtube is just working against their own product. I first got interested in the KHL through the Daily KHL commentary, so why wouldn't it work with others?

remben

Jan 4, 2015
Bremen, Germany
I get the point & agree.

The KHL using a feed of KHL TV (Russian) for highlights. KHL TV broadcast almost all matches.

Yes, the KHL could make ENG commentary as well. But, who would watch it? Especially if the KHL game center is geo-blocked in many hockey countries? Yes, it is a question if it is a good policy. The KHL had ENG highlights in youtube. Do they still have it?

The KHL would have to agree with some other broadcaster to make ENG commentary service. The KHL can not hire ENG speaking announcers and do the job (for every game), too expensive & no bussiness effect.

DAZN could be a good choice for ENG commentary service, but they broadcast only game or two per week. And yes, they broadcast in ENG even if their fans live in German speaking countries. They do not make GER commentary for them. The same as with the KHL, no bussinees effect to make GER commentary.

I support an idea of ENG commentary and website in languagues of all participated nations. On the other hand, I know why the league does not do it right now.

In Germany no geo-blocking for the videos on the KHL YouTube channel. Highlight are still available in english. Seems I can even subscribe to passes on the KHL website.

Regarding DAZN, yes currently few games of KHL are shown and in english, but it is not only for KHL, some other programs are in english like some football games.

I don't know yet what are the plans regarding the KHL on DAZN, but for example they do not have all games of the CHL, only german teams (Berlin, Munich and Nuremberg). As the NHL did not start I can't make a comparison, and I am new on DAZN since august. I can just say that they don't have all the NFL games for example, and it is quite popular league here, there is the NFL Redzone every Sunday, that show all the best action of each games played on Sundays. From I see, DAZN mostly offer european football, all games of top five leagues plus almost all games of champion's league, and it has a cost, so IMO they focus on popular sports.

Reactions: vorky

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Heads up guys, youtube channel "Наш Хоккей" has all the highlights of the games and none are geo-blocked to me.

Reactions: cska78

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Has anyone tried to make a deposit into their KHL Video account from abroad using Payture?

Today I wanted to watch Avto-Salavat yet was unable to do so, simply because Payture kept rejecting my debit card for "fraud error" which should have been accepted under normal circumstances. SMS doesn't work since my country is not listed and PayPal is not available in my country. Payture accepts debit & credit cards and seems to be the most logical way yet I couldn't get my debit and my mom's credit card to work - both denied with "fraud error". Before anyone recommends me to "turn it off and on again", I use my card daily and I'm perfectly sure it has the balance required and it is definitely available for international transfers via internet.

I couldn't find anything helpful about the root of the cause. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Does Payture work for only Russian cards, maybe? If this is the case, how am I supposed to watch KHL legally? They don't even let me watch via their own website. I used to joke that I'd be able to watch KHL comfortably only once I move to Russia... This doesn't sound like a joke anymore.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
PayPal not available in your country? :skeptic: I thought it was available around the world. Purchasing the subscriptions via PayPal is smooth and hassle-free. The other payment options tend to be dicey.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
PayPal not available in your country? :skeptic: I thought it was available around the world. Purchasing the subscriptions via PayPal is smooth and hassle-free. The other payment options tend to be dicey.

One word: Erdoğan. You'd be amazed to know how many websites or things are banned in Turkey. We can use VPN for Wikipedia (yeah it is banned!) but PayPal just ceased to operate in Turkey so there is no way to make transaction via their website.

I'm not saying Slovakia has no problems at all; you live there and you have your own problems with the country. But when you feel angry about how bad Slovakia is, just remember that not so far away from you, we need VPN for Wikipedia :P

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
My card is based in Turkey and there is no Turkey option on PayPal, I think VPN wouldn't help in this case. They simply don't offer service for the country. I'd probably need a card based in somewhere else.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
If it's just the one-time, season-long subscription you're after, I could buy it for you via my PayPal account (I think) if you send me the €58 first. Of course, this is exactly the type of offer that should never be made or accepted online, but you and I have been here for years, and I launched this particular thread 5 years ago to help everyone get the webcasts, so I'm about the least likely scammer around here. ;) If you want to give it a try, PM me.

The service this season has been very good so far (only usable in conjunction with a separate VPN subscription, of course). I now only watch the KHL games via the Android and iPad KHL apps. The Android app is better because when you scroll through intermissions, you can see the exact time in the timeline and you can jump ahead by 15 minutes exactly. On the iPad/iPhone, no time is shown when you jump ahead by dragging the video-player's "bulletpoint", so it's hit and miss.

The main deficiency of the KHL app is that it offers no spoiler-free setting. I asked KHL support a couple of seasons ago to add the spoiler-free setting to the app, and they thanked for the suggestion, but I guess they don't give a damn. So, I need to fiddle with the app every time I watch a non-live game – I need to put my palm across the center of the tablet screen, where the scores are shown, and just look at the right edge of the screen where the "Video" and "Watch" buttons are located. That way (and only that way), it's possible to launch a game from the archive without learning the score first. I almost never have the time to watch games live (KHL or NHL), which is why my HFBoards avatar says, "Delayed Live Forever". ;)

PS: Having experienced Communist censorship first-hand, I'll just never again live in a country where censorship exists. November 1989 is the biggest holiday for me, ever, better than Christmas, because it got us rid of censorship after 41 years. If censorship ever returns to this country, I'm outta here. Yeah, Slovakia is a mafia-ruled country, corrupt through and through, but at least that doesn't affect my day-to-day personal life (I think). :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Rigafan

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
(Oh, and one more thing showing how amateurish the KHL's webcasts are compared to the NHL: it's not just the perverse geo-blocking even for simple highlights on the website, but neither the Android KHL app, nor the iOS KHL app give you the "skip +30 seconds"/"skip -30 seconds" buttons that are available in the NHL app on both platforms. So, it's purely the laziness, or lack of resources, on the part of the KHL apps' developers that is to be blamed here, because both mobile platforms do make such crucial functionality possible. Not to mention the "hide spoilers" option, likewise an elementary missing feature. :thumbd: At least it's possible to skip/scrub through those intermissions precisely in the KHL app on Android...)

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
If it's just the one-time, season-long subscription you're after, I could buy it for you via my PayPal account (I think) if you send me the €58 first. Of course, this is exactly the type of offer that should never be made or accepted online, but you and I have been here for years, and I launched this particular thread 5 years ago to help everyone get the webcasts, so I'm about the least likely scammer around here. ;) If you want to give it a try, PM me.

Thank you very much for the offer, I have absolutely no problems in trusting you but I'm looking for one game at a time. Otherwise it'd be much easier to get over this. I'm totally in love with KHL yet due to heavy schedule and conflicts with my classes, I can barely lay back and watch three periods of KHL action. So I was planning to buy some games here and there for 75RUB but I think it's a better idea to save up around 4500RUB to buy a season-ticket for the next one. This is one of the things I don't understand with KHL Webcast... Buy it on September 1 and it costs 4500RUB. Buy it in February and it is still that expensive. This is the main reason I switch to NHL come playoff time - they sell it ridiculously cheap for Turkey, like 5USD for EVERY SINGLE GAME of playoffs. I'm not asking for the same thing from KHL but come on, at least make some changes in the pricing as the season progresses.

Reactions: Go Donbass

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Russia = zero business sense. Always been that way. Better get used to it. Unlikely to ever improve.
Sure, things have got better but being effective is and has always been more important than being efficient. Part of Russian culture and has been for hundreds of years.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Thank you very much for the offer, I have absolutely no problems in trusting you but I'm looking for one game at a time. Otherwise it'd be much easier to get over this. I'm totally in love with KHL yet due to heavy schedule and conflicts with my classes, I can barely lay back and watch three periods of KHL action. So I was planning to buy some games here and there for 75RUB but I think it's a better idea to save up around 4500RUB to buy a season-ticket for the next one. This is one of the things I don't understand with KHL Webcast... Buy it on September 1 and it costs 4500RUB. Buy it in February and it is still that expensive. This is the main reason I switch to NHL come playoff time - they sell it ridiculously cheap for Turkey, like 5USD for EVERY SINGLE GAME of playoffs. I'm not asking for the same thing from KHL but come on, at least make some changes in the pricing as the season progresses.

Can you not just buy the games via android?

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Can you not just buy the games via android?

Thank you so very much, I totally forgot that KHL app exists.

I've just bought Salavat-Avangard game for €0,33 via Android and guess what: it is also available on my KHL account, which means I can watch it on big screen with same quality. This game is €1 on Webcast. Not sure if this is some kind of a loophole or already a trick used by many; but if you wanna watch the games a little bit cheaper, just buy via KHL app on your mobile (don't forget to log into your KHL account first!) and then make the purchase. The prices you receive are for mobile streams yet as things stand now, it also works for desktop. Because before I made the purchase, I had "buy HD for 75RUB" thing on main (desktop) account. Right after the purchase I refreshed the page and was met with "Time before webcast starts" countdown. I'm still not exactly sure if it works but all indicators so far seem to be positive. I will update this if I can watch the game in the evening.

10 KHL games with HD quality for only €3,33? I guess I'm not passing any exams this year.

EDIT: Works like a charm. Webcast also seems to be working perfect for me after so many years of misery. Never imagined it could be that easy to come together with my love.

Last edited:

wisla9110

Oct 29, 2018

I've just bought Salavat-Avangard game for €0,33 via Android and guess what: it is also available on my KHL account, which means I can watch it on big screen with same quality. This game is €1 on Webcast. Not sure if this is some kind of a loophole or already a trick used by many; but if you wanna watch the games a little bit cheaper, just buy via KHL app on your mobile (don't forget to log into your KHL account first!) and then make the purchase. The prices you receive are for mobile streams yet as things stand now, it also works for desktop. Because before I made the purchase, I had "buy HD for 75RUB" thing on main (desktop) account. Right after the purchase I refreshed the page and was met with "Time before webcast starts" countdown. I'm still not exactly sure if it works but all indicators so far seem to be positive. I will update this if I can watch the game in the evening.

10 KHL games with HD quality for only €3,33? I guess I'm not passing any exams this year.

EDIT: Works like a charm. Webcast also seems to be working perfect for me after so many years of misery. Never imagined it could be that easy to come together with my love.
Where do u have a 0,33 cent? i have 1 euro per game on khl app and 88 rub on website by paypal

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe

The APP never used to work for me. It'd just stop streaming half way through any game. I even messaged them and was told its an error with the live stream.

However this season it works perfect! And for the price it is amazing!

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Yes, app streaming is much better now compared to a couple of seasons ago. There's still that extremely frustrating missing feature, though: no "Hide Spoilers" option! :mad:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
You can always stream from the mobile app to the TV set, and I also have a traditional Windows mini-PC connected to the TV set.

(Some VPN providers make it possible to use them directly with the router, too, and in that case, a smart-TV app would work with VPN as well, but given my setup, I haven't bothered to fiddle with such advanced configurations.)

Reactions: cska78

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->