Music: New Kendrick Lamar Album

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Also, this is a small gripe and I still love the song, but does the clipping on the 2nd part of DNA. bother anyone else? It's just an odd choice and is really distracting imo. The video is also great lol, TDE is really on top of the music video game.

What do you mean by the clipping? I didn't like how they had that break between the beat change. Makes it less effective.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
would have lost my **** if Q dropped a random verse at the end of the video there.

Second part of the video goes as hard as Kendrick goes on the track god damn.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Fantano only gave it a 7, interesting.

Definitely like this a lot more than untitled and he gave that an 8.

Fantano is a loser. He gave Lil Boat at 7 :laugh::laugh::laugh: Dude tries way too hard to sounds 'smart' and 'analytical'.

Anyone else notice the colors of the rings Kendrick's wearing? One hand has red, and the other has blue. There is definitely a theme of duality going on with this album. Which is why I think the DNA video and parts of this album are still kind of tough to understand as a whole. Either the music videos will start explaining some of the blue/red or there is another album dropping sometime soon.

The album is much less likely though. I think the music videos will help explain more.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I keep listening to DAMN. so much... I didn't think anything could really top TPAB and GKMC but the more I listen to it, DAMN. is really close to pushing ahead of them for me imo.

Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
I think with this album Kendrick's comfortably among the greatest rappers of all time now. I don't believe there is a single greatest of all, but he's definitely in the group now. Especially when you compare his output to those considered the best. Section 80, GKMC, TPAB, Damn. That's a pretty incredible string of releases, especially for a solo rapper because i'd say only Outkasts' first four albums and Wu-Tangs' 36 chambers + first set of solo releases compare quality wise. Probably Kanye as well I guess.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I think with this album Kendrick's comfortably among the greatest rappers of all time now. I don't believe there is a single greatest of all, but he's definitely in the group now. Especially when you compare his output to those considered the best. Section 80, GKMC, TPAB, Damn. That's a pretty incredible string of releases, especially for a solo rapper because i'd say only Outkasts' first four albums and Wu-Tangs' 36 chambers + first set of solo releases compare quality wise. Probably Kanye as well I guess.

Eminem. Infinite+SSLP+MMLP+TES

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I keep listening to DAMN. so much... I didn't think anything could really top TPAB and GKMC but the more I listen to it, DAMN. is really close to pushing ahead of them for me imo.

DAMN. is not as ambitious as those two but it's flawlessly executed. I think it's Kendrick's best.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson

I agree you can say no one is the single greatest, music is too subjective for that; but when discussing all time greats, I think Kendrick is definitely in the Mount Rushmore.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
DAMN. is not as ambitious as those two but it's flawlessly executed. I think it's Kendrick's best.

The execution really is amazing on this album. And even Kendrick said in his interview today that this album requires many listens to understand the underlying themes here. I can say one thing - I've already played this album more than TPAB and GKMC. The standout tracks here are just outstanding.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
"TPAB will be the idea of the thought of changing the world and how we work and how we approach things. DAMN. will be the idea 'I can't change the world until I change myself.' When you listen to PRIDE., HUMBLE., LUST., LOVE., these are all human emotions and me looking in the mirror and coming to grips with them."

That Kendrick interview with Zane Lowe was great.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Kendrick trying to take a page out of xxxtentacion's book.
I know you're joking but I would actually really like to hear this lmao. Just a super aggressive Kendrick for a whole album on really distorted beats

I think discography-wise he's on the fringe of top 10 all time. I would say these artists have better discographies than Kendrick right now, in no particular order:

Aesop Rock
Tribe
El-P
MF DOOM
The Roots
De La Soul
Death Grips
OutKast

Then in the 9-10 spots could be Kendrick, Kanye, Ghostface or a number of others imo.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Lol Kendrick Lamar finally says on April 21st that no music is coming. There's a reason why he didn't say it right away. Amazing marketing.

Y'all got played. Hook line and sinker. It's been fun watching this play out. Dog Entertainment has raised the bar for creative marketing campaigns in music. Genius.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Listening to a couple of tracks right now and it's pretty good and enjoyable but at a first listen, I still think Section.80 and Good Kid M.A.A.D. City as superior works and it's not particularly close for me - haven't listened To Pimp a Butterfly enough - but the music video for Humble is very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad