Music: New Kendrick Lamar Album

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This is getting pretty OT at this point but Death Grips are a lot more similar to mainstream rap than most seem to give them credit for, especially those who label them as "just noise" and those who think they are the most original musical act on the planet.

It's definitely more about the sound than the lyrics, but I don't think the lyrics are bad. When you read into them they do get very edgy at times but Ride does a good job building the character that he's portraying on these songs, kind of like MF DOOM. And I would agree that they're hip-hop's answer to punk, especially on their last 2 albums where they added guitars.
I agree that it's more similar to mainstream music than given credit for. When I first heard about them, I was under the impression we were talking about a Captain Beefheart level of inaccessibility/avant-gardness, and I was actually a little disappointed by the supposed originality of it. I think the thing that makes it seem initially unapproachable is less that it's challenging and more that on first listen, the vocal stylings sound like they're coming from a meat-headed, dumb and (literally) herr-derr-sounding guy. The voice actually reminded me of the Gumbys on Monty Python's Flying Circus.

But yeah, it's growing on me now. Curious though, you're not actually following/understanding the lyrics as you're listening to them, right? Just reading them after the fact?

Last edited:

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Overrated, overhyped. There's a few songs with a good beat and a handful of insightful lyrics. Otherwise it's generic mid tempo rap that sounds like a thousand albums before it. Rap fans must be hard up for an impactful album. This isn't it.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Overrated, overhyped. There's a few songs with a good beat and a handful of insightful lyrics. Otherwise it's generic mid tempo rap that sounds like a thousand albums before it. Rap fans must be hard up for an impactful album. This isn't it.

Tell us more.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
I like the beat switches on Duckworth more than the DNA beat switch actually. Will have to say Duckworth is the best track on the album.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This is definitely an album that grows on you. TPAB blew me away first listen, whereas DAMN. takes time to seep in.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
But yeah, it's growing on me now. Curious though, you're not actually following/understanding the lyrics as you're listening to them, right? Just reading them after the fact?
Yeah I'm definitely not understanding most of the lyrics while listening to them so I like to have the lyrics open sometimes while listening. Luckily they release the lyrics for most of their music so we do have an accurate idea of what he's saying
I agree that it's generic and isn't an impactful album but I still think Kendrick does this style better than most other rappers. This will likely end up as one of the best albums of the year imo (although this year looks to be a lot weaker than 2016).
Where'd you get 99% from?

Aren't most of the comments you see hating on mumble rap saying "Wow this mumble rap is garbage, please educate yourselves by listening to Gang Starr instead"?

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
Aren't most of the comments you see hating on mumble rap saying "Wow this mumble rap is garbage, please educate yourselves by listening to Gang Starr instead"?

I see both of "Hip hop heads" who think they are some big intellectual based on the music they listen to and also people trying to twist words into the craziest ways just to say they don't like black music while really just meaning black people

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The second part of DNA. was because Kendrick couldn't stop rapping and went acapella and Mike WiLL had to build a beat around it.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
I see both of "Hip hop heads" who think they are some big intellectual based on the music they listen to and also people trying to twist words into the craziest ways just to say they don't like black music while really just meaning black people

man just gtfo out of here with this crap

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Rap fans must be hard up for an impactful album. This isn't it.

Hip Hop has been shuffling out a bunch of great artists over the past 5+ years, so this definitely isn't it. J Cole, Kendrick, Big Krit, Drake Chance the Rapper, Joey Bad Ass, Big Sean, etc...and those are rappers who have had major commercial success. Hip hop is in another golden era despite all this 'thot, thot, thot' crap. I challenge anyone to make a list from any other genre of music that has made more of an impact in the past 5-10 years. I assume I'll be waiting for quite a bit of time.

Last edited:

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
18195069_1384765681611539_5927933421987578948_n.jpg

makes u think

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Hip Hop has been shuffling out a bunch of great artists over the past 5+ years, so this definitely isn't it. J Cole, Kendrick, Big Krit, Drake Chance the Rapper, Joey Bad Ass, Big Sean, etc...and those are rappers who have had major commercial success. Hip hop is in another golden era despite all this 'thot, thot, thot' crap. I challenge anyone to make a list from any other genre of music that has made more of an impact in the past 5-10 years. I assume I'll be waiting for quite a bit of time.

Never heard of Big Krit but not sure how you can realistically put Drake and Big Sean along with the other's. They're both pretty damn bad, particularly Big Sean.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
DNA
FEEL
LUST
HUMBLE
XXX
FEAR
DUCKWORTH

are my favorite tracks after many listens.

only track i truly dislike and skip all the time unless i'm distracted and forget to do it, its GOD

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The second part of DNA. was because Kendrick couldn't stop rapping and went acapella and Mike WiLL had to build a beat around it.

Producers are so damn underappreciated in hip hop. A lot of people just listen to hip hop for the beats anyways, kind of weird how they aren't viewed as bigger stars. Mike Will Made It is arguably the biggest producer right now, but probably just a fragment of the people that know who Kendrick is would actually know him by name.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad