Music: New Kendrick Lamar Album

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
After a few more listens the album is growing on me a bit. Really loving FEEL. right now. The hooks on YAH. and ELEMENT. got old to me super quick though, and LOYALTY., LOVE., and GOD. remain very skippable.

If I were to rank the tracks on the album (aside from BLOOD.):

9/10:
DUCKWORTH.
DNA.
XXX.
FEAR.
FEEL.

8/10:
PRIDE.
LUST.

7/10:
ELEMENT.
HUMBLE.

6/10:
YAH.

4/10:
LOYALTY.

3/10:
GOD.
LOVE.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
One of the things about Kendrick is that he is very willing to experiment sonically, so I think it takes a minute to sort of get into the feel of his albums. The longer I listen to Damn the more I think that this is not only as good as his previous work, but another hip hop classic that will define the genre.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
It moves closer and closer to TPAB and GKMC the more I listen to it and I already had it really close to those other two after my first couple of listens.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
The lyricism on this album is really coming to my attention. One recurring theme for Kendrick seems to be his fascination of the true Israelites (his cousin claims on the album that they are the blacks hispanics and native americans). You'll hear Kendrick refer to this a lot on the album, it's basically what the song DNA is all about too

I got loyalty got royalty inside my DNA

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
As someone who doesn't listen to rap/hip hop very often, I've loved Kendrick for awhile. It's not as good as GKMC for me, but it's slightly above TPAB. All 3 being pretty close for me.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
One of the things about Kendrick is that he is very willing to experiment sonically, so I think it takes a minute to sort of get into the feel of his albums. The longer I listen to Damn the more I think that this is not only as good as his previous work, but another hip hop classic that will define the genre.

Tbh i'm really not seeing much experimentation here aside from XXX. This is Kendrick's most pop and accessible record yet imo

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The second half of DNA's beat is dirty. Great vocal sample. Mike Will Made-It, you done good.

There's still something that's off putting about Kendrick to me though. I just can't fully get into him. I think it's mainly all the different and constantly changing vocal effects. It's just too much for me at times.

Last edited:

Sucro

Rhymesayers Fanboy
May 11, 2013
Vienna
Loved both TPAB and GKMC, but as much as I would want to, I am not really feeling DAMN, it seems more like a mixtape than an official album. Even if taking it for thoughtful bangers value, it does not compare to some of the stuff Freddie has been dropping within last few years. DAMN is far from topping RTJ3 too.
P.S. not a huge fan of new Joey either to be honest.
P.P.S. really anticipating Kristoff Krane album to drop this year

Last edited:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
True, but it's a pretty stark sonic left turn from everything he has released before.

I would agree with this.

Also, this is a small gripe and I still love the song, but does the clipping on the 2nd part of DNA. bother anyone else? It's just an odd choice and is really distracting imo. The video is also great lol, TDE is really on top of the music video game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad