Music: New Kendrick Lamar Album

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Who do you think is a greater genius? Kanye or Kendrick?

I've kind of gotten away from Rap in the last couple of years - the highs just aren't as high in other types of music for me - but I don't see how this is even close. Kendrick Lamar blows him away. Section 80 and Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City are legitimately great albums which have come out this decade. Kanye West doesn't have one, IMO.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
I've kind of gotten away from Rap in the last couple of years - the highs just aren't as high in other types of music for me - but I don't see how this is even close. Kendrick Lamar blows him away. Section 80 and Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City are legitimately great albums which have come out this decade. Kanye West doesn't have one, IMO.

MBDTF is the greatest single album of this decade but, OK.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm pumped as ****. I can't wait.

My classes are cancelled on Friday so I hope it drops at midnight so I can listen to it right away. :laugh:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Who do you think is a greater genius? Kanye or Kendrick?

Kanye is highly overrated imo, I would take Kendrick over him. To me they have the same amount of amazing albums (Late Reg, College Dropout, MBDTF vs. S80, GKMC, TPAB) but when looking at it head-to-head I would rather listen to Kendrick's stuff. I also think untitled unmastered is probably better than any of Kanye's other albums. Kendrick also has a higher batting average than Kanye imo, every studio album he's put out has been great while Kanye has had some ****** records (808s, Yeezus).

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Kanye is highly overrated imo, I would take Kendrick over him. To me they have the same amount of amazing albums (Late Reg, College Dropout, MBDTF vs. S80, GKMC, TPAB) but when looking at it head-to-head I would rather listen to Kendrick's stuff. I also think untitled unmastered is probably better than any of Kanye's other albums. Kendrick also has a higher batting average than Kanye imo, every studio album he's put out has been great while Kanye has had some ****** records (808s, Yeezus).

Yeezus is Kanye's best album IMO. 808s is underrated too. Not generally a fan of West's older stuff (relatively speaking).

Then again, I'm much more interested in the production than the lyrics.

Looking forward to hearing Lamar's new album though.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Blows my mind how easily Kendrick can change up his style, dude can do it all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Yeezus is Kanye's best album IMO. 808s is underrated too. Not generally a fan of West's older stuff (relatively speaking).

Then again, I'm much more interested in the production than the lyrics.

Looking forward to hearing Lamar's new album though.

Yeezus comes off as really fake to me, like he tried to do an experimental album but instead of actually experimenting he instead made what a typical experimental album would sound like. I also can't stand 808s because of the overwhelming autotune (which comes up on the worst songs on his recent albums as well). The lyrics on both are also terrible imo.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeezus comes off as really fake to me, like he tried to do an experimental album but instead of actually experimenting he instead made what a typical experimental album would sound like. I also can't stand 808s because of the overwhelming autotune (which comes up on the worst songs on his recent albums as well). The lyrics on both are also terrible imo.

I've heard that criticism, but I don't think Yeezus sounds like any other experimental album...maybe I've missed the boat. If you can recommend some that sound like it, I'd love to hear 'em. :) The production on Black Skinhead alone is worth the price of admission for Yeezus IMO. Those heavy drums, breath samples, Indian singing...all comes together really well.

Frankly, I prefer his autotuned hooks to his guest singers.

His old stuff sounds pretty staid to me, though Jesus Walks is a killer.

Anyway, I like Lamar too and hopefully he puts out something I enjoy as much as West's recent albums.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
not a fan of his music but him and the group he travels with is nice. They stayed at my hotel a few years ago and were nice and were not offended when i said I had not idea who he was --response "40 year old white guys aint my age group"

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I've heard that criticism, but I don't think Yeezus sounds like any other experimental album...maybe I've missed the boat. If you can recommend some that sound like it, I'd love to hear 'em. :) The production on Black Skinhead alone is worth the price of admission for Yeezus IMO. Those heavy drums, breath samples, Indian singing...all comes together really well.

Frankly, I prefer his autotuned hooks to his guest singers.

His old stuff sounds pretty staid to me, though Jesus Walks is a killer.

Anyway, I like Lamar too and hopefully he puts out something I enjoy as much as West's recent albums.

Kanye created a pop experimental rap album with Yeezus. What I meant by my other post is that because experimental music is experimental there isn't a "typical" sound (also because it isn't popular/profitable enough for most artists to bandwagon on it like Kanye did), but if there was it would be what Yeezus sounds like. It uses a lot of experimental rap ideas (distorted synthesizers & 808s, screaming, busy drums, abrasive lyrics, etc.) but doesn't go anywhere with them, kind of like how lots of pop rap albums these days use those dark melodies and trap drums but don't do anything actually interesting with them.

I do enjoy a few tracks on Yeezus though, mostly Black Skinhead and New Slaves.

None of these albums sound like Yeezus but here are a few of my favourite experimental hip-hop albums:

JPEGMAFIA & Freaky - The 2nd Amendment
Death Grips - Bottomless Pit
EL-P - Fantastic Damage
dälek - From Filthy Tongue of Gods & Griots
Death Grips - NO LOVE DEEP WEB

And yeah this is getting really off topic lmao. Loved the 2 singles, but if I had to choose one I would take The Heart Part 4. Can't wait for the album

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
Kanye is a slightly better musician, but Kendrick is a couple solar systems ahead of Kanye as a lyricist.

How do you figure? Kanye has legitimately produced some GOAT albums. If Kendrick is in a different solar system in terms of lyrics, Kanye is for sure in a different tier musically and production wise. Just look at his production credits on some great albums: College Dropout, Late Registration, MBDTF, The Blueprint, Be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanye_West_production_discography

Just go over this list and tell me kendrick is even close musically. Kendrick has what, one production credit to his name?

I don't want to derail this thread either because I love Kdot but some of the comments in this thread were just too much.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Kanye created a pop experimental rap album with Yeezus. What I meant by my other post is that because experimental music is experimental there isn't a "typical" sound (also because it isn't popular/profitable enough for most artists to bandwagon on it like Kanye did), but if there was it would be what Yeezus sounds like. It uses a lot of experimental rap ideas (distorted synthesizers & 808s, screaming, busy drums, abrasive lyrics, etc.) but doesn't go anywhere with them, kind of like how lots of pop rap albums these days use those dark melodies and trap drums but don't do anything actually interesting with them.

Thanks for the explanation, even if the "doesn't go anywhere" criticism is a bit vague/subjective.

None of these albums sound like Yeezus but here are a few of my favourite experimental hip-hop albums:

JPEGMAFIA & Freaky - The 2nd Amendment
Death Grips - Bottomless Pit
EL-P - Fantastic Damage
dälek - From Filthy Tongue of Gods & Griots
Death Grips - NO LOVE DEEP WEB

I dunno about El-P because I was told Run The Jewels was great and it left me cold, but I'll give these a go.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Thanks for the explanation, even if the "doesn't go anywhere" criticism is a bit vague/subjective.

I dunno about El-P because I was told Run The Jewels was great and it left me cold, but I'll give these a go.
I wouldn't worry about that, Fantastic Damage is literally nothing like Run the Jewels :laugh::laugh:. Lofi sci-fi rap. One of my favourite albums of any genre.
If it's anything like his Humble track or Good Kid Maad City I'm all ears. If it's like his past two projects then no thanks

Honestly I don't think it will sound like anything he's done before. Kendrick doesn't seem like the type to regress to a style he was doing 5 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00