Music: New Kendrick Lamar Album

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Death Grips isn't really even hip hop. I don't know what they are, but in ways they're closer to industrial rock.
I'd say everything they released up to Jenny Death is hip-hop or at least has a very large hip-hop influence. Jenny Death (where they added Nick Reinhart on guitar) is definitely when they started going in a more rock-oriented direction (just check out Centuries of Damn) but even since then they've put out some pretty straightforward rap songs (Eh, Trash).

void

Jan 5, 2006
I know you're joking but I would actually really like to hear this lmao. Just a super aggressive Kendrick for a whole album on really distorted beats

I think discography-wise he's on the fringe of top 10 all time. I would say these artists have better discographies than Kendrick right now, in no particular order:

Aesop Rock
Tribe
El-P
MF DOOM
The Roots
De La Soul
Death Grips
OutKast

Then in the 9-10 spots could be Kendrick, Kanye, Ghostface or a number of others imo.

What the ****? Death Grips top 10 ever?? Come on.

Hardcore Death Grips fans are something else.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
What the ****? Death Grips top 10 ever?? Come on.

Hardcore Death Grips fans are something else.

If Kendrick is in the discussion I don't see why this is a big deal. They have a larger studio discography than him and while it's not as accessible to the average listener they have multiple records that are on par or better than Kdot's best stuff imo.

void

Jan 5, 2006
If Kendrick is in the discussion I don't see why this is a big deal. They have a larger studio discography than him and while it's not as accessible to the average listener they have multiple records that are on par or better than Kdot's best stuff imo.

Them having a bigger discography has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

It's fine if you prefer Death Grips over Kendrick but to say that their discography is top 10 of all time is absolutely absurd.

IMO, Kendrick's discog >>>>>>> Death Grips' and it's not even close.. I think people are really overlooking or simply haven't listened to his older stuff and are focusing way too much on his very recent albums. He's been pumping out top notch gems for a very long time.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
DAMN. did over 610k in its first week. That's more than More Life after projections had it doing a bit less than More Life.

KUNG FU KENNY
KING KENDRICK

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
FWIW, anybody that likes death grips automatically gets disqualified from complaining about mumble rap. Not saying that anybody here does this, but there are people out there that love them and bash the future's of the world nonstop. It's not like you can really understand what the **** Death Grips is going off about half the time.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Them having a bigger discography has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

It's fine if you prefer Death Grips over Kendrick but to say that their discography is top 10 of all time is absolutely absurd.

IMO, Kendrick's discog >>>>>>> Death Grips' and it's not even close.. I think people are really overlooking or simply haven't listened to his older stuff and are focusing way too much on his very recent albums. He's been pumping out top notch gems for a very long time.

I said that because it's a knock people often use against newer artists (including Kendrick) when comparing them to all time greats.

I think the reason people don't bring up anything prior to Section.80 is because they really aren't anything special, just like how people don't bring up the Death Grips EP and their instrumental projects. There are flashes of greatness on Overly Dedicated and the Kendrick Lamar EP but as complete projects they are just above average, just like Government Plates.

Comparing the two discographies, I would say The Money Store is easily the best album between the two artists, then there is a tier below that record where TPAB, GKMC, NO LOVE DEEP WEB, Bottomless Pit, and Jenny Death are all pretty similar in quality. Then another tier with DAMN., Section.80, untitled unmastered., Exmilitary and ****** on the Moon. After that there is a drastic quality drop off, with Government Plates, Fashion Week, Interview 2016, Death Grips EP, Overly Dedicated and the Kendrick Lamar EP, and then a final tier with all of Kendrick's stuff C4 and earlier (which I haven't heard all of but I would assume it's pretty similar in quality). That being said, project for project I would take the Death Grips discography over Kendrick's.

I understand if you don't enjoy Death Grips as much as I do but I don't really get how it's absurd to think they're top 10 when Kendrick is now commonly being placed in the top 10 and you just said it's alright if I like them more than Kendrick.

FWIW, anybody that likes death grips automatically gets disqualified from complaining about mumble rap. Not saying that anybody here does this, but there are people out there that love them and bash the future's of the world nonstop. It's not like you can really understand what the **** Death Grips is going off about half the time.
Agreed haha, I think it's just a mentality a lot of Death Grips fans have. The mumble rap style isn't my thing but these people think they're into the weirdest band of all time and feel the need to constantly hate on more commercial stuff.

Also congrats to Kdot on those numbers, that's pretty crazy. Almost double what TPAB sold

The Man in White

Jun 28, 2004
Got this album a few days ago and haven't stopped listening to it since.

It's definitely up there with GKMC for me. Might be my favourite album since College Dropout front to back.

I rated 8 songs as 10/10, and the lowest was Humble 7/10 IMO.

Rest were 8s and 9s.

Amazing consistency. Fantastic album.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Agreed haha, I think it's just a mentality a lot of Death Grips fans have. The mumble rap style isn't my thing but these people think they're into the weirdest band of all time and feel the need to constantly hate on more commercial stuff.

Also congrats to Kdot on those numbers, that's pretty crazy. Almost double what TPAB sold

Here's a fun game I like to play with hipsters.

Which song has more intelligible lyrics???

or

Yet one is awesome and "experimental", and one is the "death of hip hop".

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

or

I haven't kept up with what you guys are talking about and have not clicked with Death Grips (or modern hip hop in general), but since when is "intelligible lyrics" the measure for whether or not something should be considered good?

The first video is clearly a lot better than the second video (which... death of hip hop doesn't seem far fetched to me-- it's pretty bland and ugh), IMO. It just sounds better, and has more of an interesting energy/feel to it.

I don't know, do Death Grips fans understand/like it for the lyrics? Or is it just a fascination with the sound? I don't get the former, but I sort of get the latter. The video you posted actually intrigued me a little bit more than the first time I tried them (which just didn't click). Might give'em another shot. Is it supposed to be like the hip-hop equivalent of punk?

Last edited:

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
I haven't kept up with what you guys are talking about and have not clicked with Death Grips (or modern hip hop in general), but since when is "intelligible lyrics" the measure for whether or not something should be considered good?

The first video is clearly a lot better than the second video (which... death of hip hop doesn't seem far fetched to me-- it's pretty bland and ugh), IMO. It just sounds better, and has more of an interesting energy/feel to it.

I don't know, do Death Grips fans understand/like it for the lyrics? Or is it just a fascination with the sound? I don't get the former, but I sort of get the latter. The video you posted actually intrigued me a little bit more than the first time I tried them (which just didn't click). Might give'em another shot. Is it supposed to be like the hip-hop equivalent of punk?

Death grips fan here. It's all about the sound and energy

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Death grips fan here. It's all about the sound and energy

I'm actually trying Money Store again right now, and I'm enjoying it a fair bit this time. It doesn't seem any more reasonable to complain about unintelligible mumbling than it does to complain about barking and growling in punk, humming a melody or peppering unintelligable yeahs and whoas in a pop song, or intentionally singing nonsense words the way a band like Cocteau Twins does.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB

This is getting pretty OT at this point but Death Grips are a lot more similar to mainstream rap than most seem to give them credit for, especially those who label them as "just noise" and those who think they are the most original musical act on the planet.

The unintelligble lyrics are one part. Lots of modern trap is focused around having a catchy hook that sticks in your brain (Kodak's Tunnel Vision is an example) and the DG discography is littered with great hooks (Guillotine, Takyon, The Fever, System Blower, ***** Please, Why a ***** Gotta Lie?, Pss Pss, Eh, Spikes, Trash) that stick in your head and I can't stop myself from saying them with Ride when listening to them lol. Part of what makes DG great to me is how they combine this mainstream catchiness with very odd lyrics (Pss Pss, Spread Eagle Cross the Block) and delivery (Takyon, System Blower, Hot Head) that are the complete opposite of mainstream, all while making it sound great with crazy production (which is the best part of Death Grips imo).

It's definitely more about the sound than the lyrics, but I don't think the lyrics are bad. When you read into them they do get very edgy at times but Ride does a good job building the character that he's portraying on these songs, kind of like MF DOOM. And I would agree that they're hip-hop's answer to punk, especially on their last 2 albums where they added guitars.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Ughhh Kendrick tickets are sooo expensive. I know it's gonna be worth it tho. Kendrick and Travis Scott? Yooooo.

Where are you seeing the prices? Tickets dont go on presale until tomorrow, and to the public on Friday (Toronto). On ticketmaster it says 50-150 as a price range, thats not terrible imo.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Where are you seeing the prices? Tickets dont go on presale until tomorrow, and to the public on Friday (Toronto). On ticketmaster it says 50-150 as a price range, thats not terrible imo.

I'm seeing that now as well, my friend is obviously a dirty liar. :laugh:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I wonder why Kendrick always does these smaller tours. I know for TPAB he only did a few shows and this tour again is pretty small compared to other artists his size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad