Music: New Kendrick Lamar Album

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal
Sounds like Kendrick wanted to make a pop album, which I can understand since there was no way he could push things any further in terms of musicality after TPAB and he didn't want to box himself in a set of expectations on his sound. He's switched it up on every album and he's done it again.

Sound-wise, it's probably not my favorite Kendrick album but I appreciate the effort and still like the album a lot. He wanted to prove he could play with some of the current rap/pop sounds and still keep the content intelligent and relevant, which he did. Will need to listen to it a lot more to catch the intricacies in the lyrics but this is a big album.

void

Jan 5, 2006
After 1 listen it's probably his worst studio release imo. Gonna give it lots of time to simmer though obviously

I have the same opinion but it wasn't a bad album by any means. GKMC and TPAB were masterpieces, then Section 80 was close to perfect, and then you have DAMN. that's "just" a great (even excellent) album.

You're not including untitled unmastered when you say studio release, right?

I see it like this:

1. Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City - 10/10
2. To Pimp A Butterfly - 10/10
3. Section 80 - 9/10
4. DAMN. - 8 or 8.5/10 (my first listen score)

Last edited:

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Damn, that's pretty good. Will have to listen to it a few more times to pass a judgement, though.

The song with BBNG is insane.

Some people are speculating that a second album will be released on Sunday.

Here's a thread on it: https://www.reddit.com/r/KendrickLa...cond_album_coming_on_easter_this_is_actually/

It makes sense but I don't believe it. :laugh:

Yeah, got a good chuckle out of that. But how crazy would that be, "dying" on Good Friday and then coming back on Easter with another album :laugh:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Man they make a lot of good points in that thread. Kendrick said his next project was focused on God, and in DAMN it does look like hes been hung (dead).

If anyone can pull it off, its Kendrick.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Man they make a lot of good points in that thread. Kendrick said his next project was focused on God, and in DAMN it does look like hes been hung (dead).

If anyone can pull it off, its Kendrick.

Yeah he actually gets shot and dies in the first track and the album ends with it rewinding back to the first track. Interesting theory for sure maybe too good to be true? Hopefully not!

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I like it. Some parts I feel are a bit weak (Lust/Love) but perhaps that will change with a few more listens.

Really feeling tracks like XXX and I LOVE DNA. What an awesome ****ing song.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
DNA is ****ing crazy, god damn. I'm on PRIDE right now... this album is going to take a while for me to digest. I really like it.

I'd like to believe that Easter Sunday theory with another album, but I'm not holding my breath. I already took the L for April 7th, I'm not taking another one for Easter Sunday. :laugh:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I have the same opinion but it wasn't a bad album by any means. GKMC and TPAB were masterpieces, then Section 80 was close to perfect, and then you have DAMN. that's "just" a great (even excellent) album.

You're not including untitled unmastered when you say studio release, right?

I see it like this:

1. Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City - 10/10
2. To Pimp A Butterfly - 10/10
3. Section 80 - 9/10
4. DAMN. - 8 or 8.5/10 (my first listen score)

Yeah I wasn't including UU in that, I would say I enjoyed this album marginally more than UU after one listen.

Kendrick Lamar Discog:

9/10:
To Pimp a Butterfly
good kid, m.A.A.d city

8/10
Section.80
DAMN.
untitled unmastered.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
FEAR is unreal. Jesus Christ.

I went from trying not to buy into the Easter Sunday hype to being 100% on the train and willing to take the loss if i'm wrong.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm putting this just a tad below that TPAB and GKMC level on first listen... but if we get a second album on Sunday to round out this concept he had in mind it instantly goes over those two titles, IMO.

There's a lot to digest here, and while I still want to be super skeptical about these Sunday theories, a lot of it also makes sense from his Spotify picture having the blue, brighter background now, to some services listing the release date as 4/16 instead of 4/14, and the tone and various lyrics and sounds of this album. I wouldn't say it feels incomplete... but it feels like there's more to a bigger picture here. This is Kendrick after all.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I'm putting this just a tad below that TPAB and GKMC level on first listen... but if we get a second album on Sunday to round out this concept he had in mind it instantly goes over those two titles, IMO.

There's a lot to digest here, and while I still want to be super skeptical about these Sunday theories, a lot of it also makes sense from his Spotify picture having the blue, brighter background now, to some services listing the release date as 4/16 instead of 4/14, and the tone and various lyrics and sounds of this album. I wouldn't say it feels incomplete... but it feels like there's more to a bigger picture here. This is Kendrick after all.

Theres 4 different beats in The Heart part 4. Only 2 were used on this album.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Reminds me more of Blonde.

But if it was Kendrick's rap album
I didn't mean in the sense it had a Kanye vibe to necessarily but more so people were so used to the GKMC/TBAP conceptual type of album that an album like this feels very chaotic and all over the place. The same thing happened with Pablo which felt like a mess.

He's so far ahead of anyone else though it's not even close. Vince Staples may be the 2nd best rapper behind him currently and the gap is still gigantic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad