GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Vancouver Canucks 10PM EST: Groundhog edition

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Can it really get much worse though? Obviously they could be the Edmonton and Buffalo kind of bad but right now is just about the lowest I've ever felt about this team. If they had an actual direction and plan then I think more people would be understanding of the situation but were just spinning our wheels mud and getting by velociraptors like Newman on Jurassic Park.

Our attendence for the most part is dictated by success we all know that...any bandwagon fans that would of been coming to games won't when the team is the in " whomever sweepstakes " yr after yr

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Maybe I'm just drunk but I think the team will draw more with a young, fast roster of guys, even if they lose nightly - than whatever it is they're icing now.

This game nearly put me to sleep.

I agree. Give me some young, hungry players who are looking to prove something and make a name for themselves over a bunch of over the hill old farts who are just collecting paychecks at the retirement home.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
because so many players want to come to NJ anyway lol?

maybe build a team through the draft/trades and supplement it by using UFA instead of building a team through UFA.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
it's going to be funny when Lou does leave because he really is respected by players and a lot of the ppl who come here to play he is a big reason for it.

this team will be as desirable to come too as WPG is once the old guard ships out. That's when the rebuild will be begin but I'm not sure this franchise will survive it.

Sure Harris and Blitzer say now that they'll never sell but does the tune change 3 yrs into the rebuild and we are drawing 6k a night ?

I think Lou will have at least assembled the foundation of a good team before he leaves. I believe the D is already set.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe I'm just drunk but I think the team will draw more with a young, fast roster of guys, even if they lose nightly - than whatever it is they're icing now.

This game nearly put me to sleep.

Agreed. This team was filling the building with an exciting product when we had Kovalchuk and Parise. I wouldn't miss a minute of the game. Now I'm literally falling asleep in the middle of games. I'm not excited to go to the arena to watch this product. If I'm a diehard and I feel this way, I can only imagine casual fans.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How could he think the Jets game was bad, but this one wasn't? This basically was the Jets game. We even showed signs of life in the 3rd period against them, just like we did in the 3rd period tonight.

Is it because the Canucks don't suck a massive one like the Jets do?

NHL Fanatik*

maybe build a team through the draft/trades and supplement it by using UFA instead of building a team through UFA.

If in the US, there aren't many better states to raise a family in, plus almost all players who have been to NJ say they like it here. I know it isn't popular, but I think the players know about NJ and consider it more than we think.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I would rather be terrible like Buffalo or Florida and at least have a bunch of young skilled studs to look forward to developing .

Instead we have a pile of old suckage for forwards with no skill or upcoming talent whatsoever.
Henrique and Cams are the only skilled forwards we have after this season.
I guess you can still hold out hope for Boucher , but other than that we have nothing.

Only bright spot is our young D and Schneider.
Really wish Lou would trade one of our young Dmen for a Yakapov or Eberle but I guess the plan is to roll with 8 stud D in two years time????:rant:

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
If in the US, there aren't many better states to raise a family in, plus almost all players who have been to NJ say they like it here. I know it isn't popular, but I think the players know about NJ and consider it more than we think.

I agree with what you said but I'm not talking about the area but the team itself, I think his statement that no one would come to the Devils because Lou leaves is a bit out there.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ

Isn't the first part what he's trying to do? He just rebuilt the D through the draft. The Offense was just massacred 2 years ago. 2 years is not enough time to recreate anything near what they had. I'm sure veteran trades will happen eventually.

NHL Fanatik*

I agree with what you said but I'm not talking about the area but the team itself, I think his statement that no one would come to the Devils because Lou leaves is a bit out there.

Ah true true. Well perhaps forwards might see it as a team in need of some scorers and high end talent, and tbh that is all we are from a playoff contender. Our D can be plenty good most nights, with Merrill in and Salvador out.

But I do agree, it is a grim looking team.

NHL Fanatik*

Isn't the first part what he's trying to do? He just rebuilt the D through the draft. The Offense was just massacred 2 years ago. 2 years is not enough time to recreate anything near what they had. I'm sure veteran trades will happen eventually.

This is very true. He also took a hit prospect wise on forward to secure our goaltending.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
It's going to take at minimum, 2-3 years to rebuild the forward group. Lou will be what, 74 by then? At what point is enough is enough?

Enough what? Is 2 years after his offense was just destroyed enough time to rebuild the forward group? You're being a bit unrealistic in your expectations.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
New Jersey Devils ‏@NHLDevils 40s40 seconds ago
DeBoer: "The first 10 minutes, we looked a little overwhelmed in the game. From then on, I thought it was a pretty even game."

Eh that quote is bad enough anyway.

btw we have three wins against West teams in eleven games so far - the shootout win at home against Winnipeg, beating a Parise-less Wild at home, and the Oiler shutout.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

The issue with me is they haven't even taken the first step towards rebuilding the offense, and it's only going to get worse when Jagr/Elias leave. They've used a grand total of two picks above the third round for forwards in the last five years (Matteau, Quenneville) and Matteau's probably topping out as a third-liner. Quenneville it's too early to tell. Every second-rounder's been used on D.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Realistically , if you look at our "top line" and compare it to top lines of teams that don't suck a big fat floppy donkey d$&k , it's no wonder we are craptastic.

Benn Spezza Seguin
Hornquist Crosby Kunitz
Getzlaf Perry
Sedin sisters Vrbada
Taveres Okposo
Kane Toews
Pavelski Marleau
Kopitar Gaborik

We have .....wait for it ....... Zajac and a 43 year old Jagr.:cry:

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Nice to see Schneider back in town, he nearly stole you a point to boot! Going to be a great goalie in this league for a long time. Jagr is amazing, was kicking myself for not getting a ticket after seeing how he played tonight. Didn't even know Cammalleri was playing until he blasted that shot over the net in the 3rd, that's probably not a good sign.

The only benefit of playing on the West coast is, from time to time, we get a team at the end of a road trip. Devils looked a little gassed to me, still had a good push in the 3rd and the Canucks got a couple lucky breaks.

OK, bye bye!

Devilsfanatic0421

"You're next"
Feb 24, 2012
LOL, Zids was trying to make a play, so it is ok that he cost us the 2nd goal. What about the 1st goal Pete?

Also, if one of the kids on his **** list make that play, they are benched/scratched.

goawaygary*

I would rather be terrible like Buffalo or Florida and at least have a bunch of young skilled studs to look forward to developing .

Instead we have a pile of old suckage for forwards with no skill or upcoming talent whatsoever.
Henrique and Cams are the only skilled forwards we have after this season.
I guess you can still hold out hope for Boucher , but other than that we have nothing.

Only bright spot is our young D and Schneider.
Really wish Lou would trade one of our young Dmen for a Yakapov or Eberle but I guess the plan is to roll with 8 stud D in two years time????:rant:

Eberle is the guy I want

Would easily give a 1st for him

1st
Santini
Gelinas

for

Eberle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad