New Jersey Devils General Discussion (Team/Player/Trade Rumors/Speculation/News)

Status
Not open for further replies.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
People who look solely at the team and the players predict we won't make it. Those who go deep into the advanced statistics like Pronman, Cordell, and I've seen some others, predict the Devils make it.

When looking at all the advanced stats, it was absolute fluke the Devils missed the playoffs last year. I remember over the summer when Cordell pulled up some stats on the Senators-Devils game at Prudential Center when the Devils lost 2-0. Whatever the stat was only one Senators skate was positive, you play that game over 1,000 times, Devils win 999.

Surprisingly, Mirtle thinks we're in, as well. Unsurprisingly, he's also an advanced stats guy:
http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2013/09/2013-14-nhl-standings-predictions.html

Metro
1 Washington 98 Playoffs!
2 Pittsburgh 98 Playoffs!
3 NY Rangers 96 Playoffs!
4 New Jersey 90 Playoffs!
5 NY Islanders 89
6 Philadelphia 87
7 Carolina 87
8 Columbus 83​

Edit: One thing I've noticed is that it seems like many are targeting the Metro as the weaker of the 4 divisions. The new South East.
Personally, I think Chicago & St. Louis feast on the Central the way Vancouver used to do in the Pacific and Washington used to do in the SE.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
hes a solid mobile shutdown DMan and is one of the only guys who is consistently good at clearing the zone.

those do not grow on trees.

I agree Fayne should be in, but didn't the advanced stats show that he was awful at getting out of his own end? I may be wrong, but I thought I heard that. Regardless, he should be in.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Surprisingly, Mirtle thinks we're in, as well. Unsurprisingly, he's also an advanced stats guy:

Metro
5 NY Islanders 89
6 Philadelphia 87
7 Carolina 87
8 Columbus 83​

Edit: One thing I've noticed is that it seems like many are targeting the Metro as the weaker of the 4 divisions. The new South East.
Personally, I think Chicago & St. Louis feast on the Central the way Vancouver used to do in the Pacific and Washington used to do in the SE.

Maybe it's just me but I don't see the Rangers out pointing us this year. I can also see Lundqvist have a so, so season.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Should we be worried that Fayne has been skating with Urbom on an extra pairing for the last week? While Harrold is with Volchenkov?

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Maybe it's just me but I don't see the Rangers out pointing us this year. I can also see Lundqvist have a so, so year.

I think they'll be marginally better.
I see more growing pains on our end moreso than theirs, kind of like the 11-12 season.

I feel like they'll have a strong finish to the season, much like they did last year.
I don't see too wide of a gap, though, either way.

OOOOIIIO

Binary
Jul 25, 2010
Nashua, NH
Should we be worried that Fayne has been skating with Urbom on an extra pairing for the last week? While Harrold is with Volchenkov?

I dont know if we should be worried yet. Tomorrow's lines will be much more telling once we know who is and isnt on the roster.

What we should be doing is talking about how Burnside picked Phoenix to win the cup beating the Penguins in the finals.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
I dont know if we should be worried yet. Tomorrow's lines will be much more telling once we know who is and isnt on the roster.

What we should be doing is talking about how Burnside picked Phoenix to win the cup beating the Penguins in the finals.

Nobody cares what Burnside thinks considering he and the rest of the crew at ESPN are blind when it comes to hockey.

DevilChuk*

I do wonder how we will be getting under the roster limit..

Lou will get in trouble for placing a player on IR that claims he is healthy.. the PA will fight it.

Elias is fine, Jagr is fine.. Loktionov? Tedenby?

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008

Metro
5 NY Islanders 89
6 Philadelphia 87
7 Carolina 87
8 Columbus 83​

Not to fire up the goaltending debate again, and with complete respect to Marty for all he's done for us...

But the Devils Shots Against last year was on another level than most teams. Simple replacement level goaltending would have put us at around 57 points, good for 5th place and a playoff berth. Goaltending consistent with Schneider's recent years would have put us up in Boston's territory in the standings.

Yes, we lost IK and Clarkson, but we replaced them with solid, if unspectacular, players. And it's not like the performance of those two blew doors off last year either...

While we're no shoe in for anything, I believe we have the right tools in place to make the playoff absences a thing of the past. The challenge will be to get some chemistry going among the new faces. While I wouldn't put tremendous stock in preseason, there were at least some encouraging signs that this is happening.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

LOL what? Phoenix winning the cup? :laugh: I think we have a better chance. What makes them better than us? OVERRATED pad billboard Mike Smith is not as good as Schneider. Their forwards aren't really better either. Unless you're one of those people on the mainboard who believe that Shane Doan is better than Patrik Elias.:laugh:

They did sign Mike Ribiero though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I do wonder how we will be getting under the roster limit..

Lou will get in trouble for placing a player on IR that claims he is healthy.. the PA will fight it.

Elias is fine, Jagr is fine.. Loktionov? Tedenby?

Maybe a trade? I think that's less likely though.

Do they have to be placed on IR today?

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Maybe a trade? I think that's less likely though.

Do they have to be placed on IR today?

Rosters have to be at 23 men by 5pm.
No body is injured. Larsson is the only one who doesn't have to be placed on waivers.

2 bodies have to go. Unless anyone takes a tumble down the stairs between now and 5... trade is the only way to make the roster fit, even if Larsson goes down temporarily.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You don't pay a shot blocking machine that much money, why we didn't exercise a compliance buyout on him makes me sick.
Don't worry, I think we'll be buying him out next year. That I'm pretty confident of. Just one more year of the Kremlin Kone being given ice time because he's an entitled veteran.
Rosters have to be at 23 men by 5pm.
No body is injured. Larsson is the only one who doesn't have to be placed on waivers.

2 bodies have to go. Unless anyone takes a tumble down the stairs between now and 5... trade is the only way to make the roster fit, even if Larsson goes down temporarily.
Can't they throw Tedenby or Loktionov on IR? I know they're practicing, but can't they say they're still ''Sore''?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad