New Jersey Devils General Discussion (Team/Player/Trade Rumors/Speculation/News)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHL Fanatik*

Hello all, I had started a Trade Rumors thread last season's start as a new member, and it seemed to grab nice attention having over 10+ parts or something around there. And so with season starting again, I feel there is no better time than now to bring it back!

I also do this because it clears up the Team thread of all chat related to trades, speculations, etc., and leaves room for current team talk and discussion.

So I shall start it off; I've always seen Paul Stastny as a NJ-type player, and was wondering what some of you would give up for him come, say, deadline? Or even earlier?

NHL Fanatik*

Well at least Barch was moved, for something in return as well!

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well at least Barch was moved, for something in return as well!

I doubt that guy will see any NHL ice time for us though.

As far as Stastny, not sure what they'd want for him. A first maybe? Not sure.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So we need to cut 4 more players correct?

Cam, Tedy, Gio and Urbom seem to make the most sense unless a Volch trade shows up out of the blue.

Kinkaid is one of the 4 players still (I think) so he'll be cut instead of Tedenby probably. Then there's the other 3 that you listed that are likely casualties.

NHL Fanatik*

So we need to cut 4 more players correct?

Cam, Tedy, Gio and Urbom seem to make the most sense unless a Volch trade shows up out of the blue.

I'd like to think a Volch trade is around the corner, but that's more hope than reality I feel. I'd prefer Gio not make the team, and have Urbom up, with Janssen being lost somewhere in the desert after we play Phoenix sometime.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Kinkaid is one of the 4 players still (I think) so he'll be cut instead of Tedenby probably. Then there's the other 3 that you listed that are likely casualties.

Forgot about Kinky. So ya Cam, Kinky, Tedy, Urbom.

I don't see how Tedy stays over Gio if Pete and Lou have the choice.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Forgot about Kinky. So ya Cam, Kinky, Tedy, Urbom.

I don't see how Tedy stays over Gio if Pete and Lou have the choice.

Gio could very well make it over Tedenby. It's tough to say. If they think they won't lose him to waivers, they might send him down instead of Gio. Lou said he wasn't comfortable with sending a player down on an NHL salary, but I wouldn't say that means to definitely rule that out of happening.

Either way, I see Tedenby and Gio both at this point being guys that won't have a regular spot. I could see whatever one of them stays being an extra forward.

Or Lou could troll us all and actually keep Janssen up like he did last year.:laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The only scenario possible where I see Janssen sticking is if someone (maybe even Elias) happens to be injured the first couple of games and they decide to put him in for the division matchups. That'd be a ick scenario but it's the only plausible one.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The only scenario possible where I see Janssen sticking is if someone (maybe even Elias) happens to be injured the first couple of games and they decide to put him in for the division matchups. That'd be a ick scenario but it's the only plausible one.

''Yeah these guys definitely play a role, and you guys have asked me that all throughout training camp and I've still got the same answer. We like what Cam brings. He can forecheck, he's a good skater, he's good with the puck and can make plays. He also can throw a game changing hit in these tough division games. He can make sure other guys don't take liberties on our players. It's good to have him in the lineup.''

Pete Deboer during the morning skate of the season opener.:laugh:

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
I think janssen goes to Albany too and we see a goonless approach but who knows.

Last edited:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I think Gionta and Janssen will both be sent down. I'm hoping we will see a trade so that Urbom can stay up.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Is there a period where it's safer to send guys down who are waiver eligible, aren't most teams rosters full at the deadline and can't pick up anyone plus they are exposing some of their own guys too. Didn't Lou do this last year or was it some shady IR thing?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is there a period where it's safer to send guys down who are waiver eligible, aren't most teams rosters full at the deadline and can't pick up anyone plus they are exposing some of their own guys too. Didn't Lou do this last year or was it some shady IR thing?

He put Tedenby on Albany in a paper transaction, and then put Butler down the next day which was the first day of the season.

He could do that with Larsson this year. He's the only waiver exempt guy who will be with the team with this year.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
He put Tedenby on Albany in a paper transaction, and then put Butler down the next day which was the first day of the season.

He could do that with Larsson this year. He's the only waiver exempt guy who will be with the team with this year.

OK thanks Bleed, interesting about Larsson.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
OK thanks Bleed, interesting about Larsson.

No problem.

He would probably just put Larsson on Albany on Monday (On paper only) and then ''Bring'' him back up Tuesday afternoon.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
a question is...

Right now, all teams are cutting to 23 players -

If someone were to try to claim Urbom off of waivers, he'd have to go to the big club, right? He can't be claimed and then sent to Peoria of the AHL without going through waivers again, correct?

In other words -
The safest time is probably to put him on waivers on Monday, when everyone else puts their guys on waivers. There are only a few teams (according to capgeek) that have less than 23 players signed to their roster - and that doesn't include 2-way minor leaguers (like Urbom) who have to go through waivers...

So, I figure each and every team will have to cut at least 2-5 players on Monday, and you've got to hope that Urbom gets lost in the shuffle and that there are other good players on the waiver wire that would get scooped up before him.

I guess a team that is cutting/waiving 3 players, who claims Urbom would then have to waive a fourth, right?

I don't think Lou takes that risk, though. I think he's got to trade someone.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
No problem.

He would probably just put Larsson on Albany on Monday (On paper only) and then ''Bring'' him back up Tuesday afternoon.

I hope they dont report it if they do. so many people will go full rage mode about Larsson being 'sent down'

apice3*

a question is...

Right now, all teams are cutting to 23 players -

If someone were to try to claim Urbom off of waivers, he'd have to go to the big club, right? He can't be claimed and then sent to Peoria of the AHL without going through waivers again, correct?

In other words -
The safest time is probably to put him on waivers on Monday, when everyone else puts their guys on waivers. There are only a few teams (according to capgeek) that have less than 23 players signed to their roster - and that doesn't include 2-way minor leaguers (like Urbom) who have to go through waivers...

So, I figure each and every team will have to cut at least 2-5 players on Monday, and you've got to hope that Urbom gets lost in the shuffle and that there are other good players on the waiver wire that would get scooped up before him.

I guess a team that is cutting/waiving 3 players, who claims Urbom would then have to waive a fourth, right?

I don't think Lou takes that risk, though. I think he's got to trade someone.

Yeah, that's what Lou did to sneak Bobby Butler into Albany to start the season last year (Bleedred has a better description of it a few posts above.) 90% of people on this board, myself included, expected him to get claimed. He went unclaimed.

That's why it's rare for players to get claimed around this time. You will see the same players claimed later in the year, though.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I hope they dont report it if they do. so many people will go full rage mode about Larsson being 'sent down'

They'd report it, but responsible journalists like TG and Chere would report it as the paper move it really is.

Edit: Actually, on second thought I'm not so sure about Chere.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
They'd report it, but responsible journalists like TG and Chere would report it as the paper move it really is.

Edit: Actually, on second thought I'm not so sure about Chere.

he will... just 4 hours later :laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Gio could very well make it over Tedenby. It's tough to say. If they think they won't lose him to waivers, they might send him down instead of Gio. Lou said he wasn't comfortable with sending a player down on an NHL salary, but I wouldn't say that means to definitely rule that out of happening.

Either way, I see Tedenby and Gio both at this point being guys that won't have a regular spot. I could see whatever one of them stays being an extra forward.

Or Lou could troll us all and actually keep Janssen up like he did last year.:laugh:

Well TG said apparently Kinky was sent down earlier today but everyone missed it. Lou is quite sneaky.

Honestly with the type of players that will be put on waivers tomorrow (we aren't the only team sending talent down) Tedy or Gio should clear. They aren't special enough for a team to jump on them. There will be better players available.

Lou did say he wasn't comfortable with someone on a one way in Albany but he would do it because he really has no choice. And that's the truth. If he thinks there is more value to keep Gio up over Tedy then that is going to happen. He obviously didn't want to do that to Barch

I am holding out hope for one more trade that doesn't involve Fayne to clear space for a kid to stay up and start.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Will the last guys be waived Sunday? Or not until Monday? I always forget how this process works every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad