GDT: New Jersey Devils at Ottawa Senators - 7PM - TSN5 - Exorcist at the Canadian Tire Centre

h2

Mar 26, 2002
At this point I'm pretty much cool with anyone being traded away as a shakeup. Stutzle, Sanderson and Tkachuk are hard maybe's, but this current group just doesn't have what it takes between the ears to make anything meaningful happen.

I want Norris traded. He's probably my least favorite player in the top 6.

I don't think he has enough tenacity to be successful in the playoffs. Again, I saw him give up on a 50/50 puck battle off the initial faceoff in overtime vs Pittsburgh last Saturday which led to PIT obtaining possession. He gave up on a battle. That was enough for me right there.

He never should have been given the contract he has. I never understood Dorion's decision on that contract, even if Norris panned out, there wasn't much savings to be had anyway. All the risk was on the team with that deal. That should have been a bridge deal all day.

camZ

Jan 28, 2021
I'm convinced dorion found no risk in the signing. Either it worked and he found their starting goalie, or he was getting fired anyway.

This team is so mentally weak.
I don’t know the numbers but how many GMs in today’s nhl who sign players to 5+ year contracts actually keep their job that long? Cant be many

Joeffice

Mar 11, 2023
Regina

I don't think he has enough tenacity to be successful in the playoffs. Again, I saw him give up on a 50/50 puck battle off the initial faceoff in overtime vs Pittsburgh last Saturday ...

Man, to be in the situation where we talk about Ottawa players choking in the playoffs.

One can dream.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I don't think he has enough tenacity to be successful in the playoffs. Again, I saw him give up on a 50/50 puck battle off the initial faceoff in overtime vs Pittsburgh last Saturday which led to PIT obtaining possession. He gave up on a battle. That was enough for me right there.

He never should have been given the contract he has. I never understood Dorion's decision on that contract, even if Norris panned out, there wasn't much savings to be had anyway. All the risk was on the team with that deal. That should have been a bridge deal all day.
He had a bad game , He has played better. Some of them need to be embarrassed or something. Isolate film and call them out.

Joeffice

Mar 11, 2023
Regina
That's a different type of pain, not sure which I prefer lol..

Watching the late 90s/early 00s Sens choke yearly in the playoffs is when I started following lol

That was painful yes. How far Ottawa went basically depended on how early they ran into Toronto.
Seemed like if they avoided Toronto they'd get to 2nd, 3rd round.

Yep, I'd take that pain.

Being able to take some enjoyment in the regular season does mean something. 7 years of watching a steaming pile of turd declare itself to be done rebuilding and promptly lose even harder.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
That was painful yes. How far Ottawa went basically depended on how early they ran into Toronto.

Yep, I'd take that pain.

Being able to take some enjoyment in the regular season does mean something. 7 years of watching a steaming pile of turd declare itself to be done rebuilding and promptly lose even harder.

I probably agree with that.

It would get old after multiple years of choking though, Toronto fans can't be too optimistic about the core they've had these past few years. They've had a fundamental flaw where the forwards are too stacked (and perhaps with too many forwards without tenacity) and not enough on defense. When there's problems with the core, it needs to be addressed even if it requires a big trade. I just hope we don't repeat the same mistake and don't act on a big change that could really reset our core and give us success going forward.

Reactions: LiseL and Joeffice
Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Jersey is firing on all cylinders right now and is a much better team than the Leafs we saw last game. Full credit to them for the win.

The Sens gave up a lot of turnovers both from not thinking, but also a lot from Jersey being so aggresive on defense. On the PK, the contrast was pretty stark with the way Jersey quickly pressured the points and the puck.

I agree with comments about the team reverting to old habits under stress and fire. The rest of this season is going to basically be a long training camp.

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
Well a positive is Jacques is going to have lots of video to teach with after that sh&$sh#*

Reactions: LiseL

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We scored first. Another blown lead. Another game full of turnovers in our end and failing to move the puck out of our end.

For two years I've thought this core would mature and be able to get things done. I'm not sure I believe that at this point.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I'd like to see how the team looks with more time under Martin, but I feel like the fact we squandered too many 1sts in our rebuild is coming back to haunt us.

Reactions: LiseL

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
See Jacques agrees with me :D

DJ said the same thing. Mental issues.

WTF. Call a doctor!

1703910366776.png

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
When they hit adversity they default to their instincts and habits, which is DJ hockey. It's going to take many games and practices to break those instincts and have them default to good habits.

It'll be better to fix these things now, while losing, rather than get some wins now and then have to fix these things 2-3 years from now when we hit the playoffs.

Staois probably knew this team needed some serious coaching that couldn't be fixed mid season, so he was hoping to just wait it out.

Martin should start calling timeouts every game in the first period if he sees them playing the wrong way.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Yep, I'd take that pain.

The thing that was weird about the Ottawa-Toronto playoff thing was:

Ottawa couldn't beat Toronto
Philly couldn't beat Ottawa
Toronto couldn't beat Philly

New Jersey benefited.

Joeffice

Mar 11, 2023
Regina
The thing that was weird about the Ottawa-Toronto playoff thing was:

Ottawa couldn't beat Toronto
Philly couldn't beat Ottawa
Toronto couldn't beat Philly

New Jersey benefited.

I remember! Ottawa drove Roenick nuts.
That conference final between Ottawa and New Jersey was an incredible series. The one time Ottawa showed grit and came back in a series.

They lost, but it was fun!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad