GDT: New Jersey Devils at Ottawa Senators - 7PM - TSN5 - Exorcist at the Canadian Tire Centre

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Has anybody heard from/about him lately?
who-cares.gif

He sabotaged years of this organization. Being incompetent is one thing but being smug while being incompetent is a whole other thing.

One of the worst GMs there was.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Difference has been we aren't getting the saves, we gave up far more quality chances against Toronto,
Korpi stood on his head against Toronto in the 1st when the Sens were playing badly. The score could've easily been 4-0 after that period if not for him. Not too many goalies can routinely carry a team on their back. This roster has bigger problems than goaltending. Way too soft, defensively challenged, mentally weak. The poor, inconsistent play in front of them probably affects the goalies' confidence as well resulting in their own mental mistakes such as being out of position. I'll judge the goalies once we see more cohesive, consistent defensive play in front of them. I don't think any goalie in this league would do well in Ottawa with the way they are currently playing (IMO).

Reactions: thinkwild

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Prime Dominik Hasek, Carey Price, maybe someone like Lundqvist.

Todays goalies? mayyyybe Hellebuyck.
Let's not forget Patrick Roy and Andrei Vasilevskiy. But wouldn't they struggle as well if their team consistently played as poorly as ours in front of them?

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
At this point I'm pretty much cool with anyone being traded away as a shakeup. Stutzle, Sanderson and Tkachuk are hard maybe's, but this current group just doesn't have what it takes between the ears to make anything meaningful happen.
Hard to believe I'm saying this, but for me the one untouchable is Batherson. Yes, he didn't have a great game either but he has made the most progress under the new coaches unlike the 3 you named.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Hard to believe I'm saying this, but for me the one untouchable is Batherson. Yes, he didn't have a great game either but he has made the most progress under the new coaches unlike the 3 you named.
Goes to show how difficult it is to judge players when we don't know their true health status.

Batherson seems healthy and surprise! he's playing a lot better than he did last year. Sure, he may have also bought into the new coaches' message, but I argue health is a more important factor.

Stutzle could be playing hurt. Norris may still be hesitant to engage due to his shoulder. Zub had a maintenance day, right after a subpar performance last night.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Both can be true. The team played like shit but our goaltending this year has been absolutely awful. Like bottom of the league awful. Hard to get momentum going when our goalies let in back breaking soft goals whenever we make a mistake
A mistake lol.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Both can be true. The team played like shit but our goaltending this year has been absolutely awful. Like bottom of the league awful. Hard to get momentum going when our goalies let in back breaking soft goals whenever we make a mistake
Well then maybe we should stop making countless mistakes then.

Put last years cup winning goalie on this team and i bet even he would end up with a crap save percentage and gaa.

Reactions: LiseL

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That first goal was just hilarious. Like what does he think Hughes is doing? And why does he start rotating into the net after the puck goes in.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm certainly not a goalie coach but there's certainly a goaltending deficiency and we won't escape being a lottery team until that's resolved.

Hughes goal the other night on the PP. That was soft. Stuetzle had the same shot several times resulting in no goals.

Save percentage is an ok stat but it doesn't account for the difficulty of what the goalie faces. Same with gaa.

Goals saved above expected tries to look at the quality of the shot location and attaches a probability to a goal being scored from that location. Our two are 76 and 82 out of 85. On that metric, we're terrible.

Forsberg was well into the positives the two years prior. This year he's almost league worse. Maybe those two knee injuries have changed him.

Talbot for all his criticism last year was -.7.

Idk if goalie confidence in the defence plays into it. Maybe. I'd think so actually. If the goalie is confident in the D, maybe he's able to play more confidently and aggressively. The 4th goal against the other day is an example. Korpi should have exploded to the top of the paint on that play. He didn't. The shot went in and he was deep in his net.

Just based on this stat, swap our goaltending with Boston's and we're well ahead of them on points percentage

I know problems run deeper than goaltending but a big part of the W/L stat isn't getting fixed with our goaltending the way it is

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm certainly not a goalie coach but there's certainly a goaltending deficiency and we won't escape being a lottery team until that's resolved.

Hughes goal the other night on the PP. That was soft. Stuetzle had the same shot several times resulting in no goals.

Save percentage is an ok stat but it doesn't account for the difficulty of what the goalie faces. Same with gaa.

Goals saved above expected tries to look at the quality of the shot location and attaches a probability to a goal being scored from that location. Our two are 76 and 82 out of 85. On that metric, we're terrible.

Forsberg was well into the positives the two years prior. This year he's almost league worse. Maybe those two knee injuries have changed him.

Talbot for all his criticism last year was -.7.

Idk if goalie confidence in the defence plays into it. Maybe. I'd think so actually. If the goalie is confident in the D, maybe he's able to play more confidently and aggressively. The 4th goal against the other day is an example. Korpi should have exploded to the top of the paint on that play. He didn't. The shot went in and he was deep in his net.

Just based on this stat, swap our goaltending with Boston's and we're well ahead of them on save percentage

I know problems run deeper than goaltending but a big part of the W/L stat isn't getting fixed with our goaltending the way it is

One thing I found interesting is our goalies xGA/60, all situations.

Korpisalo is at 3.14, ranking 45th out of 60 among goalies with 500+ mins

Forsberg is at 2.64, ranking 7th.

Not much changes looking at 5v5. We seem to have played better in front of Forsberg. Not sure if that's just the qoc or if we try to tighten up in front of him or what.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
One thing I found interesting is our goalies xGA/60, all situations.

Korpisalo is at 3.14, ranking 45th out of 60 among goalies with 500+ mins

Forsberg is at 2.64, ranking 7th.

Not much changes looking at 5v5. We seem to have played better in front of Forsberg. Not sure if that's just the qoc or if we try to tighten up in front of him or what.
DJ said a couple times this year on Forsberg "the guys love playing in front of him"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad