GDT: New Jersey Devils at Carolina Huricanes Player Effort Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Depends on who the actual starter is. Keith is no sure thing to stay, we might be hoping and praying between Cory and some other schlep we sign that one of them takes the starting role next year.
I really think Cory is going to be gone after this year. And if he is here, I think by the year after he won't be.
Assuming Schneider plays poorly the rest of the way does the team have to buy him out? I get that you don’t want to carry two goalies making real money but will the team really need the cap space? If they can get KK back for a $4 mil cap hit or so and the Boyle and Lovejoy expiring contracts pay for Hall’s extension can’t they let Cory slide one more year and have a smaller buyout penalty?
Again, the rationale here is to buyout a bad player and take him off the roster. A bad player at the most important position in the game, who probably will have a longer leash just because of his salary. That's the point in getting him off the team. Not saving money. Do we really think if he plays here next year and he's healthy enough, he's not gonna play more than 20 games? Today's start probably already bought him another start after Keith's next blowout against.

You wont have the tandem back next year. If kk gets an offer to be a starter on another team, hes gone. Based on his performance hes prob getting at least one. Then your left with cory and blackwood/lack, which would be worse
We don't have to have Lack or Blackwood on the team next year. We can just sign some other schlep like Devs26 said, and that schlep with Schneider could be worse than what we have now, even if not as bad as Lack or Blackwood. Imagine a Chad Johnson/Schneider tandem next year? That's already a lost season.

Reactions: My3Sons

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It’s a poor rationale because he is a back up and there is no reason to saddle the team with an extra 3 years of dead money.

We can overpay at the goalie position short term as it will be easier to move on from him in another year or two when his term runs down.

Either dump him on Seattle, or get the compliance buyout.

The rationale is based on you not liking Cory and not shutting up about it. He is the backup, we have plenty of cap. It isn’t a pressing issue.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
I really think Cory is going to be gone after this year. And if he is here, I think by the year after he won't be.

Again, the rationale here is to buyout a bad player and take him off the roster. A bad player at the most important position in the game, who probably will have a longer leash just because of his salary. That's the point in getting him off the team. Not saving money. Do we really think if he plays here next year and he's healthy enough, he's not gonna play more than 20 games? Today's start probably already bought him another start after Keith's next blowout against.

We don't have to have Lack or Blackwood on the team next year. We can just sign some other schlep like Devs26 said, and that schlep with Schneider could be worse than what we have now, even if not as bad as Lack or Blackwood. Imagine a Chad Johnson/Schneider tandem next year? That's already a lost season.
I think Johnson's young and still developing. From his preseason half a period I do like his skill set. Obv not a finished product, but I think he could develop decently

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I don’t think anyone is arguing for having Schneider on the roster next year. Arguing against a buyout is not the same thing as arguing for keeping him on the roster. The other options have been outlined.

This is a dumb argument at this point because there is nothing you can do about it until June.

Let’s talk about whether Hynes should be coach come Thursday.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don’t think anyone is arguing for having Schneider on the roster next year. Arguing against a buyout is not the same thing as arguing for keeping him on the roster. The other options have been outlined.

This is a dumb argument at this point because there is nothing you can do about it until June.

Let’s talk about whether Hynes should be coach come Thursday.

Hynes is a bigger issue for this team to be sure. I would be begging Joel right now.

Reactions: Oneiro and mtnet

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The rationale is based on you not liking Cory and not shutting up about it. He is the backup, we have plenty of cap. It isn’t a pressing issue.
See, this is the problem with you guys and the pie in the sky attitude. Any time someone rips a bad player, it's because they don't like him.

It's not that I don't like Cory, it's that he's a BAD goalie. It was the same thing with Marty 5 years ago. People got accused of not liking him.

Well, now Cory is right where Marty was then, only about 10 years younger.

He's a poor goalie now, I'm not saying this because I don't like him, I'm saying this because it's the truth. .908% goalie over the last 109 games played. You know what he was before that? .925% career goalie. If you think that I'm wrong, run the numbers yourself. Cory isn't good enough anymore, that's the bottom line. It's not even an opinion anymore.

Reactions: LoktionovMVP

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why did Bratt play 11 minutes?? I have a hard time seeing an argument that he is not one of our best 5 forwards and that includes with Nico.
Because Hynes decided to get weird today with personnel, or just left his brain in New Jersey.

Reactions: glenwo2

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
See, this is the problem with you guys and the pie in the sky attitude. Any time someone rips a bad player, it's because they don't like him.

It's not that I don't like Cory, it's that he's a BAD goalie. It was the same thing with Marty 5 years ago. People got accused of not liking him.

Well, now Cory is right where Marty was then, only about 10 years younger.

He's a poor goalie now, I'm not saying this because I don't like him, I'm saying this because it's the truth. .908% goalie over the last 109 games played. You know what he was before that? .925% career goalie. If you think that I'm wrong, run the numbers yourself. Cory isn't good enough anymore, that's the bottom line. It's not even an opinion anymore.

It legitimately doesn’t matter. He is the backup. It isn’t worth 6 years of dead money to play Lack.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Like do we seriously need 6 years of dead money just to have Eddie Lack play backup?
Eddie Lack won't be backup.

Kinkaid and maybe some other guy can split.

Just because Cory is gone doesn't mean Eddie Lack will be backup. Eddie Lack will probably be playing in Europe next year.

In fact, even if Cory isn't here next year, Kinkaid may not be either. We might have two new goalies and Lack might even be out of the organization.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Because Hynes decided to get weird today with personnel, or just left his brain in New Jersey.

This may actually be the worst single coached game I've seen from Hynes. Really from anyone since MacLoser (well with the Devils anyway...Todd Bowles and Mickey Callaway are another story).

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It legitimately doesn’t matter. He is the backup. It isn’t worth 6 years of dead money to play Lack.
Refer to my last post.

Why does this mean Lack is playing if Cory goes? There's free agent goalies every year, there's trades that can be made for someone. Lack has nothing to do with Cory going. Lack will probably not even be in North America next year. It's possible to buyout Cory and let Lack go somewhere else too.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Eddie Lack won't be backup.

Kinkaid and maybe some other guy can split.

Just because Cory is gone doesn't mean Eddie Lack will be backup. Eddie Lack will probably be playing in Europe next year.

In fact, even if Cory isn't here next year, Kinkaid may not be either. We might have two new goalies and Lack might even be out of the organization.

Then it will be some other stop gap. You have yet to present a good reason to put all that dead money on the books.

This is such a pointless rant to have. It doesn’t help us now. It fixes nothing. It’s getting rid of a guy to get rid of him. It’s the same as bitching about 4th liners.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Then it will be some other stop gap. You have yet to present a good reason to put all that dead money on the books.
Because we know that if the other goalie struggles, they're gonna play Cory more than the 20 games that he probably should be playing.

As long as he's here, I don't think he'll ever be permanently demoted to backup.

Now in the end, if I'm wrong and he does only play 20 games or fewer this year (assuming Kinkaid is healthy), then I'll be open to keeping him one more year and then buying out with the amnesty buyout.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Because we know that if the other goalie struggles, they're gonna play Cory more than the 20 games that he probably should be playing.

As long as he's here, I don't think he'll ever be permanently demoted to backup.

There is zero reason to believe this. Keith has been the clear starter this season.

So again. How does buying Cory out, which we can’t do until the offseason, help this team right now?

This is a GDT for a game in the middle of the 2018-19 season. I need to hear some relevance for this season.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
game was painful to watch, knew the whole third period they didn’t have it in them to score and with the random line switches just didn’t get any sense of confidence from this team.

a couple observations

- bratt is playing the best of everyone on the team right now. keep him and zacha together.
- wood needs to be benched for a game or two. he’s not doing anything, on pace for what, 4 goals?
- schneider, woof.
- no one on the team seems capable of throwing a big hit or punishing the other team, it’s pathetic. especially if you’re icing a squad of such suspect skill
- beating pittsburgh and philly was not the turning point we all hoped it would be
- coaching is an issue
- our corsi these past two games has been excellent.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
There will be way worse games for Cory after which you guys can talk about buying him out or sending him down to the minors.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
There is no reason Noeson needs to be on the PP...he has what 1 goal? Put Zajac in front of the net and one of MJ or Bratt (ideally Bratt) on the PP in Nico's spot. Not an overly complicated solution.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There will be way worse games for Cory after which you guys can talk about buying him out or sending him down to the minors.
He should have had the first goal today.

Here's how I see it.

He was terrible against Detroit and allowed 2 poor goals in a one goal loss.

He wasn't as bad against Ottawa as his goals against. Let in a weak one and got yanked.

He wasn't as bad against Winnipeg as the score, but he looked pretty slow in that game. It wasn't so much on the goals against that he looked bad, but the last goal he allowed that game was really bad.

Tonight was the odds evening out.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It does not make any sense...Bratt has been great since coming back and is creating chances consistently when he has the puck.
I'm not sure if he did something that pissed Hynes off, but there's not much of an excuse for this poor lack of usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad