GDT: New Jersey Devils at Carolina Huricanes Player Effort Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
He's not that serviceable of a player anymore. This is more about extinguishing a poor player from the roster than saving cap space. Consider this to be on par with when Shero bought out Zubrus in 2015, even though we still had to have his entire cap hit on the books because he was a 35+ contract when he was signed to it. This is about removing a poor player, a poor player at the most important position in the game.

Because what we've seen from Schneider the last 2+ years isn't even a declining goalie. Lundqvist is a declining goalie. This is more of a drop off a cliff type, where the decline isn't a slow and modest burn like it is for guys like Lundqvist and Rask, this is a full burn. This is a more drastic dropoff than what Marty experienced at 40 years old at this point.

And who's to say he won't get worse over the next 3 years? It would be one thing if we knew he was gonna plateau in poor play, but we don't know that.

You don’t have to have him on the roster! You can waive him, bury him in the minors and absorb the hit over a shorter period vs spreading it out longer.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Out of respect for Cory as a human, I think we owe it to him to buy him out, rather than bury in Binghamton.

It gives him a chance to continue his career elsewhere and I think because of what he used to be, he'll probably get a one year deal from an NHL team if he's not here next year. If Cam Ward (who has been bad for much longer and most of his career) can get an NHL deal, I think someone will give him a shot after this on a one year deal.

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
What were we going to add? An extra Dman maybe? They did with Moorvolev. Another forward? To fit where?

I have no problem at all with what was or wasn't done in the off season.

Disagree strongly. Look what guys like Skinner, Hoffman and to a lesser extent Sheary went for. Shero should have been all over that.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Out of respect for Cory as a human, I think we owe it to him to buy him out, rather than bury in Binghamton.

It gives him a chance to continue his career elsewhere and I think because of what he used to be, he'll probably get a one year deal from an NHL team if he's not here next year. If Cam Ward (who has been bad for much longer and most of his career) can get an NHL deal, I think someone will give him a shot after this on a one year deal.

Trading him with 50% retained saves about as much cap as a buyout does without having to worry about the additional three years a buyout would attach. Might as well do that, and take back another bad contract to play a skater position and offset the money.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think it's still early to be talking buyout with Cory. If, at the end of the season, he's still bad, then you have to at least consider it, or retaining 50% of his contract and moving him in a cap dump deal.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Disagree strongly. Look what guys like Skinner, Hoffman and to a lesser extent Sheary went for. Shero should have been all over that.

In fairness to Ray, the skinner and sheary were not going to be traded within the division without it be a much higher premium price. Especially Skinner as coming into the season we were Carolina’s primary competition for a playoff spot.

Likewise Ottawa made it clear they were not going to trade within Conference, though you can argue we should have been in on San Jose flipping him.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

These types of comments are silly because you have no idea whether he was involved in these discussions or not. You also don't know who was willing to deal with who. It's entirely possible Skinner or Sheary were dealt to teams outside of the division, excluding us immediately. Hoffman was clearly not going to be dealt within the conference by Ottawa, but San Jose saw the opportunity to flip him immediately.

The notion that Shero didn't attempt to add anything this offseason is far off base. On top of that, as Aethon mentioned, adding anyone wouldn't have put us in any different a position currently. Scoring for the most part hasn't been our issue, it's been on defense and there was virtually nothing to add in free agency that would have put us over the top.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

The Penguins weren't trading Sheary to us and he's a middle six player at best. The Sens clearly didn't want to trade their players in-conference although I suppose we could have traded with San Jose for the half minute he was there before being offloaded back to Florida. I wouldn't call Hoffman cheap either, the Panthers gave up a 2, 4 and 5 for him. Skinner is a pending UFA which is problematic and could easily have gone the way of NoJo with his concussion issues.

Reactions: My3Sons

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Trading him with 50% retained saves about as much cap as a buyout does without having to worry about the additional three years a buyout would attach. Might as well do that, and take back another bad contract to play a skater position and offset the money.

Honestly it’s smarter to just wait a year or two when it would be easier to do that trade assuming we need the space.

We can afford to invest in Kinkaid or get another starter in here in the mean time and just keep Cory as a backup project to see if he ever regains a little form.

Adding three more years of buyout cap hit is foolish.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think it's still early to be talking buyout with Cory. If, at the end of the season, he's still bad, then you have to at least consider it, or retaining 50% of his contract and moving him in a cap dump deal.
I don't think it's too early to talk about it at all. It's only too early to do it now, can't be done until 48 hours after the SCF ends. going on 3 years of poor play, 33 years old (at the conclusion of this season), 2 post-season surgeries at the end of the last 3 seasons. I don't think we're looking at good things with him here after this year.

It would only work if we had a pretty damn good goalie (like one better than Kinkaid, no offense Keith) who could play 60+ games at a really good level and you only play Cory in 20 games next year. That means not going back to Cory after a blowout loss by the starter or making it mandatory to start him in most back to backs if we really need some points.

Reactions: LoktionovMVP

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I got waffled here when I said I think it's a bit risky offering years/money to a guy with such a thin resume.

I remember a few vocal posters saying how dumb Shero was for not giving Wood what he wanted. I think somebody even accused Shero of ripping him off.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think it's too early to talk about it at all. It's only too early to do it now, can't be done until 48 hours after the SCF ends. going on 3 years of poor play, 33 years old (at the conclusion of this season), 2 post-season surgeries at the end of the last 3 seasons. I don't think we're looking at good things with him here after this year.

It would only work if we had a pretty damn good goalie (like one better than Kinkaid, no offense Keith) who could play 60+ games at a really good level and you only play Cory in 20 games next year. That means not going back to Cory after a blowout loss by the starter or making it mandatory to start him in most back to backs if we really need some points.

Well Cory 'could' actually look competent enough over his final 15-20 games this year to earn a backup spot on merit next year. I'm not sure how likely that is, but it's too early just on that basis. I doubt he's only playing 3-4 more games this year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This team needs a big bodied dman and a big right handed shooting forward more then they need to buy out a backup goalie.
Sure, if Cory was only a 15-20 game backup, then maybe.

If he's gonna play anything more than 20 games (and that might even be too much) then it's not good enough. Goalie is the most important position in hockey and at the very least Cory is quite a bit less than an average one anymore and might get worse over the next 3 years after this one. He might not be plateaued here, this could get worse with age and more injuries.

I think it's a grave mistake if we don't move on.

As far as Kinkaid, still not sold on him being a long term starter worth a multi-year deal, but we can't have this tandem next year again.

I think some of you remember more of his good 25 games last year and his playoff series, but he is a very, very poor goalie over the last 109 games. That's almost 30% of his total career. To have him be more than a 20 game goalie is a liability at this point and that's as of now. Who knows how much worse it gets over the next 3 years?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well Cory 'could' actually look competent enough over his final 15-20 games this year to earn a backup spot on merit next year. I'm not sure how likely that is, but it's too early just on that basis. I doubt he's only playing 3-4 more games this year.
That's another thing. Let's call it like it is here when we talk about backups.

Does anyone really think if he's here the next 3 years that he's only gonna play 15-20 games a season? I think he's already on pace to start 20 games this year and he missed the entire month of October.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That's another thing. Let's call it like it is here when we talk about backups.

Does anyone really think if he's here the next 3 years that he's only gonna play 15-20 games a season? I think he's already on pace to start 20 games this year and he missed the entire month of October.

Depends on who the actual starter is. Keith is no sure thing to stay, we might be hoping and praying between Cory and some other schlep we sign that one of them takes the starting role next year.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
No matter what he did in this game, he needs to be bought out after this year. Even if he maintains last two years play, that's a horrific contract and player to have to ice for $18 million over the next 3 years. Buyout or a LTIRement needs to happen.

We're gonna keep him all 3 years he has left? Hall will be turning 31 shortly into our first season after Schneider's contract ends. The time has come, buy him out. If I'm Shero, I already know what I'm doing 48 hours after the SCF ends in June. If I'm Harris, I'm already telling Shero to have the pen ready in June. We can't afford 3 more years of this, we just can't. It's gotta end with this season.

I expect Shero to pull the trigger on this, if he went so far as to fire the goalie coach after just one year of this declining play.

Assuming Schneider plays poorly the rest of the way does the team have to buy him out? I get that you don’t want to carry two goalies making real money but will the team really need the cap space? If they can get KK back for a $4 mil cap hit or so and the Boyle and Lovejoy expiring contracts pay for Hall’s extension can’t they let Cory slide one more year and have a smaller buyout penalty?

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Sure, if Cory was only a 15-20 game backup, then maybe.

If he's gonna play anything more than 20 games (and that might even be too much) then it's not good enough. Goalie is the most important position in hockey and at the very least Cory is quite a bit less than an average one anymore and might get worse over the next 3 years after this one. He might not be plateaued here, this could get worse with age and more injuries.

I think it's a grave mistake if we don't move on.

As far as Kinkaid, still not sold on him being a long term starter worth a multi-year deal, but we can't have this tandem next year again.

I think some of you remember more of his good 25 games last year and his playoff series, but he is a very, very poor goalie over the last 109 games. That's almost 30% of his total career. To have him be more than a 20 game goalie is a liability at this point and that's as of now. Who knows how much worse it gets over the next 3 years?

You wont have the tandem back next year. If kk gets an offer to be a starter on another team, hes gone. Based on his performance hes prob getting at least one. Then your left with cory and blackwood/lack, which would be worse

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
But the whole point is that we’re more likely to use the cap space further out in the future. Cory’s contract ends in 21-22. If he’s bought out, the cap hit goes until 24-25. I’d hope they have use for the cap space before then.
So what do we do the next 3 years? Have this poor tender on the team and probably playing more games than he should until MVP is in his 30’s? We wanna be contending before that? Do we not? I said the same thing about the GOAT in 2014. He couldn’t be here as the backup after that.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Didn't Reid Boucher tear it up in the minors as well?

You saw he was when he was up with the Big team, right?

An anecdotal example isn’t a blanket answer. I don’t think pointing out a AAAA player automatically proves your point. For some players a longer stint in the minors to prove themselves can work. It’s just case by case.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So what do we do the next 3 years? Have this poor tender on the team and probably playing more games than he should until MVP is in his 30’s? We wanna be contending before that? Do we not? I said the same thing about the GOAT in 2014. He couldn’t be here as the backup after that.

They have shown zero inclination to play him more games then he should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad