GDT: New Jersey Devils (21-5-1) @ New York Rangers (14-10-5), 7 PM, MSG, MSGSN, NHLN

First goal of the game?

• Tomas Tatar

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Nico Hischier

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Jesper Bratt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Erik Haula

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • Jack Hughes

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Dawson Mercer

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Miles Wood

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Michael McLeod

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Fabian Zetterlund

• Yegor Sharangovich

• Jesper Boqvist

• Alex Holtz

• Jonas Siegenthaler

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Dougie Hamilton

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Ryan Graves

• John Marino

• Brendan Smith

• Damon Severson

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm surprised nobody speculated on Subban yet...I like the guy but he really did seem like someone that was a bit laissez-faire about being on a bad team. Hell even last year you heard a lot more talk about Dougie in camp when he'd been here five minutes, being a leader than you heard about PK in three years.

Zacha, I never got the impression dude enjoyed anything at all, on or off the ice. Which is probably a big part of his problem, he doesn't want to be a hockey player enough but his talent and a f***ed up home dynamic led to him just being a jag NHL player when he had the talent to be more than that.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Is this new, old or fugazi?View attachment 620490

Holy shit, thats pretty damming if real....

Thats gotta be Zacha, PK Subs, Mango, or Kuokkanen.

Mango is still here and either serving pennance or just odd man out
(doesnt seem to me he would be a problem. He had major confidence issues earlier and didnt seem to be a guy who would be seeking out a cheesburger giving 0 f***s with his career teetering). Doubt Vesey was also not caring with his career on the line.

Feels to me more like Pavel and PK.. Dang man, a dagger to Pavel supporters

Reactions: mdj12784

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
The Haula people are interesting. Haula has scored the first goal once before (in Ottawa), but that's it, that's his only goal for the season. Jesper has scored 10 times this season and scored first twice -- once in Toronto and another time in NJ against EDM. Knowing this, 5 people still voted Haula, and as it stands, 0 for Bratt.
Those of us who voted for Haula went for the big payoff. If there was a Haula - Smith - McLeod trifecta, I would have thrown $5 on that too.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Hello Zacha and Mango?

Edit. Maybe not Zacha, too young but:

- Mango
- Subban
- Butcher
- Gusev
- Palmieri(?)

Could one of them be Hall, perhaps? The article didn't specify timeframe very precisely, it just mentioned that Severson has been here since 2012. So it doesn't necessarily have to be only guys that were on the team last season that they are referring to.

And Hall was certainly "weeded out", after a fashion.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wait a minute..... Was he actually being literal about the cheeseburger and fries thing? Because if he was then maybe this is a shot at certain players diets and/or conditioning? Or maybe it's just a metaphor for guys who just couldn't care less and were ready to go home and didn't wanna be bothered?

Reactions: mdj12784

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
As they would say on Seinfeld...it's real, and it's spectacular

*I googled New York Times Devils, and used a free preview article to read it
When was it published? Devils haven’t lost 5-1 this year I believe…

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
49811.jpg

We will tonight, as per my predict the score earlier in the GDT.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

I didn't take that score or the "burgers and fries" literally. It seemed more like they were metaphors for "bad loss" and "lackadaisical behavior", respectively.

Basically just guys who didn't give a shit if the team suffered a bunch of embarrassing losses, as long as they got paid and could live the good life.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'm surprised nobody speculated on Subban yet...I like the guy but he really did seem like someone that was a bit laissez-faire about being on a bad team. Hell even last year you heard a lot more talk about Dougie in camp when he'd been here five minutes, being a leader than you heard about PK in three years.

Zacha, I never got the impression dude enjoyed anything at all, on or off the ice. Which is probably a big part of his problem, he doesn't want to be a hockey player enough but his talent and a f***ed up home dynamic led to him just being a jag NHL player when he had the talent to be more than that.

Yeah I mean look, it's all speculation on our parts of course. And I'm very much a PK guy as well. But he obviously kept things light and maybe it was something that trickled into things in the locker room and it bothered some of the guys who had been here through the losing years. Remember when he and Wood fought in a training camp scrimmage? :laugh:

It wouldn't shock me at all if his personality didn't mesh well with Severson who is clearly a guy who takes this stuff personally and is sick of what has been going on. Hell, he mentioned he went to the World Championships for Canada because he was sick of the shitty losing seasons we were having.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Wait a minute..... Was he actually being literal about the cheeseburger and fries thing? Because if he was then maybe this is a shot at certain players diets and/or conditioning? Or maybe it's just a metaphor for guys who just couldn't care less and were ready to go home and didn't wanna be bothered?

I think Gusev and Mango could be the guys with clear attitude problem and maybe PK at some point when he really sucked.

Dont think Sevs was being specific about a 5-1 result, more just saying "after an ugly loss".

Reactions: Bleedred

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Holy shit, thats pretty damming if real....

Thats gotta be Zacha, PK Subs, Mango, or Kuokkanen.

Mango is still here and either serving pennance or just odd man out
(doesnt seem to me he would be a problem. He had major confidence issues earlier and didnt seem to be a guy who would be seeking out a cheesburger giving 0 f***s with his career teetering). Doubt Vesey was also not caring with his career on the line.

Feels to me more like Pavel and PK.. Dang man, a dagger to Pavel supporters
PK and Zacha are really the only ones important enough to speculate on. Guys like Gusev I wouldn't think would be among the ones not caring since he was trying to carve out a career in the NHL but who knows. The Kuokkanens of the world really were never important enough to think about either way.

The blurb was about the mood in prior years, clearly we had our share of 5-1 losses then.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Sounds more of a damnation of the previous GM than the unmotivated, no pride players to me?

I would say it's both. It's definitely on the players for not giving a shit and not holding each other accountable.

But it's also on the GM for bringing those kinds of players in. Teams definitely have that information, they do psych profiles (of varying effectiveness) before drafts, and guys develop reputations after they've been in the league for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00