Proposal: New Jersey cleaning house - Trades with TOR, VAN, VGK, BOS, EDM

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He's included in the deal basically just as something going the other way. The deal is basically Devils are giving Edmonton cap space to make a deadline addition, and EDM has to give up JP to do so.
Edmonton won't have to give up JP to get cap space. If you want Pulujarvi, you will need to give us a piece we actually can use in the deal.

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
Seriously, if Jersey wants to compete some day they are going to have to move one of their two very small centres. It’s really hard to win in the NHL with your top minute centres bring small. So, if I were Jersey I’d be moving Hischier for a stud number one D man, or a stud number two centre with lots and lots of size.

Lol.
Hischier being moved is about as likely as you going for a stroll in the desert and finding a polar bear. We just signed him into a 7 year extension.

Reactions: Devils Army

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
He's included in the deal basically just as something going the other way. The deal is basically Devils are giving Edmonton cap space to make a deadline addition, and EDM has to give up JP to do so.
Gagner has an expiring $3.15 million contract? JP's stock had slid, but wtf?

Reactions: TFHockey

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
I wouldn't take Puljujarvi for free. Zacha is servicable and on a very cheap contract. In fact, he is one of those rare players in the league who is paid what he is worth. And he is young.

ADD-devil950003

Dec 6, 2006
NY
Just give us Zacha for Puljujarvi. You know it's gonna happen.

I’d be so incredibly pissed off if we gave up a proven pk’er who is starting to produce more for just about the only other player who has been more disappointing of a draft pick. Not a chance in hell Devils deal Zacha for Puljujarvi. How about you send Nurse for Severson...about the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelJ

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I would think fair value would be this...

To Boston:
Kyle Palmieri

To New Jersey:
David Backes
Axel Andersson
Urho Vaakanainen
2020 1st round pick
2020 2nd round pick
2021 2nd round pick
Palmieri is a terrific player but stop sniffing the paint can that is a over payment deluxe

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Palmieri is a terrific player but stop sniffing the paint can that is a over payment deluxe
Its a bit too much, but break it down to two different moves and its less crazy. If you don't think so, Fitz can look elsewhere, but based on what is being had, he'd be dumb not to push for something like this:
1. Backes and Bos. 2020 first for...... some NJ B prospect (could also be a Bos prospect instead of a first but would you give Studnicka, Axel)
2. Palms (would need a small add from Jersey 4/5th) for Urho, Forward Ryan Fitzgerald and 2020 1st-round pick

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
The Devils now have only 1 opportunity to get Vatanen on the ice before the deadline. Really bad luck and situation for the Devils. This right here is the argument for doing Hall trade early. Vatanen is having a career year, Devils are set to cash in on some great fortune and the guy gets hurt. I think they can still sell him, and still should... but i think what looked like maybe a 1st or Toffoli like 2nd + Top prospect package has been significantly reduced. Think unless he gets back on the ice for Sat game, you'd have to be happy with a 2 (and likely a late one at that), and prepare for it to be a 3.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
The Devils now have only 1 opportunity to get Vatanen on the ice before the deadline. Really bad luck and situation for the Devils. This right here is the argument for doing Hall trade early. Vatanen is having a career year, Devils are set to cash in on some great fortune and the guy gets hurt. I think they can still sell him, and still should... but i think what looked like maybe a 1st or Toffoli like 2nd + Top prospect package has been significantly reduced. Think unless he gets back on the ice for Sat game, you'd have to be happy with a 2 (and likely a late one at that), and prepare for it to be a 3.

A 3? Is this satire?

The injury isn’t serious and there have already been reports that interested GMs aren’t concerned about it.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Seriously, if Jersey wants to compete some day they are going to have to move one of their two very small centres. It’s really hard to win in the NHL with your top minute centres bring small. So, if I were Jersey I’d be moving Hischier for a stud number one D man, or a stud number two centre with lots and lots of size.

lmfao

Hischier is very small now, huh? He’s listed 6’1” and is near 6’2” - look up his draft combine height. The kid is adding weight every offseason.

Reactions: Devils Army

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
A 3? Is this satire?

The injury isn’t serious and there have already been reports that interested GMs aren’t concerned about it.

Not satire. As I said I think Vatanen has/had great value. I'm speculating, which is what we do here... that the closer to the deadline we get, the leverage may shift from the seller (devils) to buyer. Bunch of DMen have already been moved and if you're sitting there on Monday, you could see a buyer saying look hes hurt, you need to add assets for this guy as badly as we need to add help. We're lowering our offer, we havent seen him play in a month. Go beat it if you can.

There are usually some assets who get left standing in musical chairs on deadline day and having to choose between taking less and holding a player only to lose him for nothing a few months later. Like the Devils did with Maroon a few years back. Hoping this health situation doesnt put devils in a spot w this player.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

I kind of agree with you, though I am not going to go that far. I think that the team will get a 2 for him at the end, but I Think he's absolutely the last domino to fall. Similar to the Marjo trade last year. I think other teams have preferred options (likely moreso guys that have term), and as such, I think he'll be a last minute "settle" for a team.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Mueller would be an extremely smart trade for some GM to make. He's perceived as a 6/7 but he's playing better than that, worthy of a third pairing role on a playoff team IMO.

That's what I was thinking wouldn't be too expensive either.

Reactions: Blackjack

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Not satire. As I said I think Vatanen has/had great value. I'm speculating, which is what we do here... that the closer to the deadline we get, the leverage may shift from the seller (devils) to buyer. Bunch of DMen have already been moved and if you're sitting there on Monday, you could see a buyer saying look hes hurt, you need to add assets for this guy as badly as we need to add help. We're lowering our offer, we havent seen him play in a month. Go beat it if you can.

There are usually some assets who get left standing in musical chairs on deadline day and having to choose between taking less and holding a player only to lose him for nothing a few months later. Like the Devils did with Maroon a few years back. Hoping this health situation doesnt put devils in a spot w this player.

I don’t see it happening with Vatanen. There are still plenty of suitors for defense and I haven’t read or seen anything about his minor injury scaring teams off. The holdup is likely the Devils asking for a 1st, teams wanting to pay a 2nd, and the Devils holding on hoping the other teams desperate for defense cave.

Vatanen is in no way comparable to Maroon, career year or not.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

There will be more than 1 team interested in Vatanen at a price of a 2nd round pick. At that point, Fitz just chooses whichever team he thinks will be the weakest (so the pick is as high as possible). That will probably trigger someone to add a 3rd/4th or a prospect.

Sure but we're talking about literally the best rental defenseman on the market. There will be multiple buyers.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00