Proposal: New Jersey cleaning house - Trades with TOR, VAN, VGK, BOS, EDM

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
He's included in the deal basically just as something going the other way. The deal is basically Devils are giving Edmonton cap space to make a deadline addition, and EDM has to give up JP to do so.
You're dreaming if you think the Oilers would have to give up a prospect like Puljujarvi to move Gagners (who's been a useful player this year) 3 million salary

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Holy shit, that Edmonton proposal is laughably bad. Frankly, most of these are very heavily slanted towards NJ. Looks more like the OP's wish list than a realistic set of proposals. I feel like the Simmonds deal is the only realistic proposal in this entire batch.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Five New Jersey Devils trade deadline proposals
TOR, VAN, VGK address needs
BOS, EDM clear much needed cap space to make additional upgrades to their roster ahead of Monday's deadline.

Toronto receives:
PK Subban @ 50% retained salary

New Jersey receives:
Kasperi Kapanen
Vancouver receives:
Wayne Simmonds

New Jersey receives:
2020 3rd round pick
Vegas receives:
Kyle Palmieri
Sami Vatanen @50% retained salary
Kevin Rooney

New Jersey receives:
2020 1st round pick
Alex Tuch
Cody Eakin
Valentin Zykov
Edmonton receives:
Nikita Popugayev
2020 7th round pick

New Jersey receives:
Jesse Puljajarvi
Sam Gagner
Boston receives:
Brandon Gignac

New Jersey receives:
David Backes
2020 2nd round pick
2021 2nd round pick
Toronto wants zero part of subban.. try again

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
EDM gives up one of its better trade chips to free itself from like 1.5 million in cap space for a few months? That is a silly proposal. We'll give you cowboy Kris Russel for your third end pick instead

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Id be OK with [email protected] for Kapanen

Dubas would have to be convinced he could bounce back with more talent.

Muzzin-Holl
Rielly-Subban
Dermott-Barrie
Sandin-Liljegren

looks better than the garbage with ceci+marincin both in the lineup lol

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Like the Subban trade but don't think its realistic. Like the Simmonds trade and do think its realistic. Rest of these I think are far fetched.

Here is 3 trades for me:
1) as you said:
NJD: 2020 3rd
(INSERT TEAM): Wayne Simmonds

2)
NJD: 2020 2 (NYR), 2020 3 (BUF)
CAR: Sami Vatanen

3) This one is a bit more far fetched:
NJD: F David Backes, D Urho Vaakanainen, F Zach Senyshyn, 2020 1 (BOS)
BOS: Kyle Palmieri

As for the Boston trade which many may reject - The Devils are giving 2 assets - a prime age scorer with good cap number and term for next year AND the cap space of Backes. If you break down the trade - the LATE 1st Rd pick is a reasonable as for the Backes dump... and I think both prospects are reasonable for Palmieri. Also Backes may actually have a role for them for next season as Fitzgerald has stated how they need adults top be around the kids. As a 4th liner/healthy scratch room guy.

Leaves the Devils with potentially 4 #1's this summer, 1 #2, 2 #3's, 2 #4's.
They have added a high end D prospect (maybe 2 if you include Bahl), a high end O prospect in Foote, a reclamation O prospect in Shenyshen, a bottom 6 NHL player in Merkely and a bunch of picks. Thats not bad.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Like the Subban trade but don't think its realistic. Like the Simmonds trade and do think its realistic. Rest of these I think are far fetched.

Here is 3 trades for me:
1) as you said:
NJD: 2020 3rd
(INSERT TEAM): Wayne Simmonds

2)
NJD: 2020 2 (NYR), 2020 3 (BUF)
CAR: Sami Vatanen

3) This one is a bit more far fetched:
NJD: F David Backes, D Urho Vaakanainen, F Zach Senyshyn, 2020 1 (BOS)
BOS: Kyle Palmieri

As for the Boston trade which many may reject - The Devils are giving 2 assets - a prime age scorer with good cap number and term for next year AND the cap space of Backes. If you break down the trade - the LATE 1st Rd pick is a reasonable as for the Backes dump... and I think both prospects are reasonable for Palmieri. Also Backes may actually have a role for them for next season as Fitzgerald has stated how they need adults top be around the kids. As a 4th liner/healthy scratch room guy.

Leaves the Devils with potentially 4 #1's this summer, 1 #2, 2 #3's, 2 #4's.
They have added a high end D prospect (maybe 2 if you include Bahl), a high end O prospect in Foote, a reclamation O prospect in Shenyshen, a bottom 6 NHL player in Merkely and a bunch of picks. Thats not bad.
No interest in trading Palmeiri now. Coleman is gone and got good value but I’d like to resign Palmeiri and hopefully at a good deal. No sense in trading Both of those guys.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
No interest in trading Palmeiri now. Coleman is gone and got good value but I’d like to resign Palmeiri and hopefully at a good deal. No sense in trading Both of those guys.

Thats a fair position to have - But the reason you trade Coleman is that his timeline as a player does not matchup with the team's timeline as a contender or frankly even competitive team. If that is true, then it is true for Palmieri as well.

Further, Palmieri is probably the last asset of any real value that the Devils can get a significant return for in the next few years. I suppose Severson, but due to his age he is likely a keeper and a guy like Subban does not have significant value at this point. Hischier, Hughes, Bratt etc matchup with the timeline. So while its great that the Devils have gotten 2 extra 1's so far, this may be their last chance to do it again for a while and they need those 1's.

I think there is a great argument for not trading Palmieri but I think the argument for is greater, esp if you had a package like this which includes a teams top 3 prospect (and also a dman) and a 1st.

Reactions: Puckclektr

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Thats a fair position to have - But the reason you trade Coleman is that his timeline as a player does not matchup with the team's timeline as a contender or frankly even competitive team. If that is true, then it is true for Palmieri as well.

Further, Palmieri is probably the last asset of any real value that the Devils can get a significant return for in the next few years. I suppose Severson, but due to his age he is likely a keeper and a guy like Subban does not have significant value at this point. Hischier, Hughes, Bratt etc matchup with the timeline. So while its great that the Devils have gotten 2 extra 1's so far, this may be their last chance to do it again for a while and they need those 1's.

I think there is a great argument for not trading Palmieri but I think the argument for is greater, esp if you had a package like this which includes a teams top 3 prospect (and also a dman) and a 1st.
I loved the Coleman trade and I agree to a certain extent with Palmeiri. I think Greene should’ve been traded five years ago as well. But at some point we still need some decent players and there is no gursntee any of those players we have will really turn out. At least we know what we are getting with him and he may sign for reasonable and increase our chances of having a first line player.
We have no idea if Hughes will be a star or if a gusev has reached his prime if Bratt will be top line material. We know Zacha probably will not be the top line player we hoped.
Foote could be a James Neal or a Jamie Benn. But he could also be a Bastian. We don’t know what we are getting with the picks this year. Hopefully the devils pick turns into a star.
McLeod Anderson, Boqvist etc will most likely not be first line players and probably more middle six guys.
We have Nico who is a low end first liner IMO.
Coleman made sense. Not fitting the rebuild but a middle six winger is easier to replace than a Palmeiri. Now if they get a top young defenseman for Palmeiri then I am all fornit.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
To BOS:
Kyle Palmieri
Josh Jacobs (NJ needs to send back a contract)

To NJ:
David Backes
Urho Vaakanainen
BOS's 1st 2020
BOS's 2nd 2021

To CAR:
Sami Vatanen (50% retained)

To NJ:
Haydn Fleury
Jack Drury

To TOR:
Miles Wood

To NJ:
Andreas Johnsson

To ANA:
Will Butcher

To NJ:
Ondrej Kase

Reactions: Bet the Over

ADD-devil950003

Dec 6, 2006
NY
If the devils are trading Palmieri it’s gotta be a Deal that looks like the Coleman deal if not more. Devils should retain 50% on Palms if they do so they can maximize value. For a player who is good for 25-30 goals, 50+ points at what a $2.3mill cap hit. Price is very high.

I’d be interested in seeing what the market is for all devils Dmen. Vatanen, Subban, Severson and butcher should all be on the market. For the forwards Miles Wood, and Simmonds are out thee imo.

A guy like Gusev would also take a pretty big overpayment. He has looked amazing since the healthy scratches earlier in the year. Can’t see him being traded unless it’s something that blows Fitz away.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Just my own personal opinions on these

I think Subban to the Leafs makes sense. I think that with retention, there would actually be people interested in Subban. How much? I'm not sure. But despite the interest I think would exist in Subban (again, particularly with retention), I will be damned if I could figure out his value. I don't think it's Kap though. That seems high. I mean, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if a Subban retained deal got something like a 2nd / Dermott / Timoshov. Or I don't know, maybe instead of Timoshov it's Kerfoot or something. I don't know. Maybe it gets a little more since this deal may actually be lighter than the one the Devils gave up to get him at full salary (though I suppose that depends on how you feel about Dermott).

I think a deal involving Severson would garner Kap, but I don't know if Sevs is the type of defender that Toronto is looking for.

I'm not sure Vancouver can afford this salary wise, and you're already retaining on Subban and Vats, so probably would have to include Baertschi, which may change this into a slightly different deal.

Still, it doesn't have to be Vancouver. This type of rental works for a number of playoff contender type teams if they want it for a third round pick.

This is just a bad trade for VGK in my opinion. One, they are selling low on Tuch, which they shouldn't do, but if they are, they need to get a defender back with some term. Given how cost controlled he is and their cap situation, it makes way more sense for Vegas to count on a bounce back here rather than unload him. They also don't really need Palms.

This trade is probably just too complicated to me. If they are looking for a D-man, then yeah, rental Vats makes sense. Rental values will typically fit within a certain range, so lets just say one of VGK's seconds (can be whichever is lower) + one of Morozov / Dorofayev / Deliberatore (sorry VGK fans, I'm just throwing some non Krebs / Elvenes prospects at the wall here, I have no idea what their current status in your farm system). In order to make money work, Devils can take back Eakin or Reaves if necessary. Whomever makes more sense as a dump.

I'm honestly not sure why Gagner is even in this trade? He's a free agent after the year and the Oilers aren't adding any salary that would require him to be dealt, and the devils don't really need to take him on.

Secondarily, I think it's just too low. I'm not say Pool Party is beastly or anything, but I think that there would be enough interest in a top 5 pick reclamation that he's going to warrant a lot more than this just from market demand. So I think this is just a bad deal for the Oilers.

I'd think something more along the lines of like Yegor Zaisev + mid round pick. The Oilers may not even have interest in that, but I Think that is something to at least consider.

I think this is fine. It's really hard to gauge cap dump type deals...I suppose it depends on what kind of bind a team is in. I mean, Marleau got a first for a dump. I can't remember how long was left on the deal though.

Thank you for the response. I agree with a lot of your points.

I think Vegas should go for it this year, hence why I have them giving up Tuch.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
If the devils are trading Palmieri it’s gotta be a Deal that looks like the Coleman deal if not more. Devils should retain 50% on Palms if they do so they can maximize value. For a player who is good for 25-30 goals, 50+ points at what a $2.3mill cap hit. Price is very high.

I’d be interested in seeing what the market is for all devils Dmen. Vatanen, Subban, Severson and butcher should all be on the market. For the forwards Miles Wood, and Simmonds are out thee imo.

A guy like Gusev would also take a pretty big overpayment. He has looked amazing since the healthy scratches earlier in the year. Can’t see him being traded unless it’s something that blows Fitz away.

I actually think Palmieri to Boston with Backes coming back to New Jersey makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: Zezel22

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
I loved the Coleman trade and I agree to a certain extent with Palmeiri. I think Greene should’ve been traded five years ago as well. But at some point we still need some decent players and there is no gursntee any of those players we have will really turn out. At least we know what we are getting with him and he may sign for reasonable and increase our chances of having a first line player.
We have no idea if Hughes will be a star or if a gusev has reached his prime if Bratt will be top line material. We know Zacha probably will not be the top line player we hoped.
Foote could be a James Neal or a Jamie Benn. But he could also be a Bastian. We don’t know what we are getting with the picks this year. Hopefully the devils pick turns into a star.
McLeod Anderson, Boqvist etc will most likely not be first line players and probably more middle six guys.
We have Nico who is a low end first liner IMO.
Coleman made sense. Not fitting the rebuild but a middle six winger is easier to replace than a Palmeiri. Now if they get a top young defenseman for Palmeiri then I am all fornit.

Have to proceed with the assumption Hughes will be a star because if he's not, none of this really matters anyway. A team cannot endure another bust after Zacha and McLeod.

The Devils can likely find and overpay for a scoring winger in UFA on a short term deal that while will probably not be as good a player as Palmeri, will provide something similar and for a team who isn't going to win whats the difference? If you can get a package like the one I proposed I think you have to do it. If package is not elite... then of course hold him.

LA got a seemingly elite young player for Toffoli who is a rental. You need elite pieces, that needs to be the top priority - over any wins or losses this year or next.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
EDM deal - I'd swap Miles Wood in and Popugaev out...and add mid-round pick from EDM to NJD. I have always felt Wood would thrive in Edmonton. It would be worth the price of Puljujarvi.

VGK deal - neither should do that one, Vegas shouldn't sell Tuch and NJD should hang onto Palmieri long-term. If VGK wants Vats, NJD GM should ask for the two Gusev picks (2020 3rd, 2021 2nd) along with Xavier Bouchard for Sami Vatenan (half salary retained).

VAN deal - Would be surprised if Simmons nets a 3rd rounder. He's been kinda flat this year. (Although, a 2nd for Greene was also surprising). A later pick should be going back to VAN.

TOR deal - Severson probably makes more sense for Toronto, but if NJD puts him on open market, they would likely get more than KK. If I am Devils GM, I'd ask for Timothy Liljergen, Mike Koster and 1st rounder for Severson (with no retention).

BOS deal - It sounds like B's may move a 1st rounder and one of their young forwards (Frederic, Senyshyn, Studnicka, JFK) for established winger...which means they will need to get more creative to move Backes. Vaakanainen may steep price to unload Backes cap...but Axel Andersson + 2nd may be good fit.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
It certainly does. However, even without retention on Palmieri I’d assume the value of taking on a Backes plus Kyle’s existing value...may be too steep of a price for the bruins to pay.

I would think fair value would be this...

To Boston:
Kyle Palmieri

To New Jersey:
David Backes
Axel Andersson
Urho Vaakanainen
2020 1st round pick
2020 2nd round pick
2021 2nd round pick

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
Toronto does not want Subban. Ever. Even at 50% that is horrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad