Proposal: New Jersey cleaning house - Trades with TOR, VAN, VGK, BOS, EDM

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I don’t like any of these trades for New Jersey or for any of the other teams involved.

Why would Boston or Edmonton say yes? What a rip off

Vegas deal is bad for NJ. Palms and vatanen should not be a package deal. They should each pull a first on their own

Simmer will probably get more than a third from any team that misses out on kreider

Toronto deal is so awful. Imagine paying subban 4.5 mil for the next 2 years to not even play for the devils. He is staying in NJ

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Five New Jersey Devils trade deadline proposals
TOR, VAN, VGK address needs
BOS, EDM clear much needed cap space to make additional upgrades to their roster ahead of Monday's deadline.

Toronto receives:
PK Subban @ 50% retained salary

New Jersey receives:
Kasperi Kapanen
Vancouver receives:
Wayne Simmonds

New Jersey receives:
2020 3rd round pick
Vegas receives:
Kyle Palmieri
Sami Vatanen @50% retained salary
Kevin Rooney

New Jersey receives:
2020 1st round pick
Alex Tuch
Cody Eakin
Valentin Zykov
Edmonton receives:
Nikita Popugayev
2020 7th round pick

New Jersey receives:
Jesse Puljajarvi
Sam Gagner
Boston receives:
Brandon Gignac

New Jersey receives:
David Backes
2020 2nd round pick
2021 2nd round pick

first 2 trades are fine, then you just went off the rails like a crazy train.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Add Dermott

Personally I would do Dermott and Kap for Severson (assuming that Johnsson is out until the playoffs, the Leafs would probably need there to be a winger coming back to Toronto - perhaps Simmonds as he doesn't have a lot of value, but can bring some grit and leadership, and the Leafs would have enough LTIR space to take on Simmonds and still bring Rielly back off LTIR)

I would not do Kap for Subban (50% retained).

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
The Edmonton deal makes no sense for the Oilers. Do people not realize Sam Gagner has been good for them? He's not a cap dump unless they absolutely need the space, and even then there are better ways to save money (i.e. Manning or the other team retaining salary). Plus, they are not going to trade Puljujarvi unless they get something worth doing (i.e. in a package for a scoring winger).

Gagner: 53.3xG% (per MoneyPuck; 2nd on the team) / 1.31 p/60 5 on 5 (6th on team) / 55.8% DFF vs. all competition (1st on team)

So the Oilers give up a productive winger on an expiring deal and one of their better trading chips for what? Cap space? Gross.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
Personally I would do Dermott and Kap for Severson (assuming that Johnsson is out until the playoffs, the Leafs would probably need there to be a winger coming back to Toronto - perhaps Simmonds as he doesn't have a lot of value, but can bring some grit and leadership, and the Leafs would have enough LTIR space to take on Simmonds and still bring Rielly back off LTIR)

I would not do Kap for Subban (50% retained).
I would be ok with adding Simmonds.

Reactions: biotk

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Just my own personal opinions on these

Toronto receives:
PK Subban @ 50% retained salary

New Jersey receives:
Kasperi Kapanen

I think Subban to the Leafs makes sense. I think that with retention, there would actually be people interested in Subban. How much? I'm not sure. But despite the interest I think would exist in Subban (again, particularly with retention), I will be damned if I could figure out his value. I don't think it's Kap though. That seems high. I mean, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if a Subban retained deal got something like a 2nd / Dermott / Timoshov. Or I don't know, maybe instead of Timoshov it's Kerfoot or something. I don't know. Maybe it gets a little more since this deal may actually be lighter than the one the Devils gave up to get him at full salary (though I suppose that depends on how you feel about Dermott).

I think a deal involving Severson would garner Kap, but I don't know if Sevs is the type of defender that Toronto is looking for.

Vancouver receives:
Wayne Simmonds

New Jersey receives:
2020 3rd round pick

I'm not sure Vancouver can afford this salary wise, and you're already retaining on Subban and Vats, so probably would have to include Baertschi, which may change this into a slightly different deal.

Still, it doesn't have to be Vancouver. This type of rental works for a number of playoff contender type teams if they want it for a third round pick.

Vegas receives:
Kyle Palmieri
Sami Vatanen @50% retained salary
Kevin Rooney

New Jersey receives:
2020 1st round pick
Alex Tuch
Cody Eakin
Valentin Zykov

This is just a bad trade for VGK in my opinion. One, they are selling low on Tuch, which they shouldn't do, but if they are, they need to get a defender back with some term. Given how cost controlled he is and their cap situation, it makes way more sense for Vegas to count on a bounce back here rather than unload him. They also don't really need Palms.

This trade is probably just too complicated to me. If they are looking for a D-man, then yeah, rental Vats makes sense. Rental values will typically fit within a certain range, so lets just say one of VGK's seconds (can be whichever is lower) + one of Morozov / Dorofayev / Deliberatore (sorry VGK fans, I'm just throwing some non Krebs / Elvenes prospects at the wall here, I have no idea what their current status in your farm system). In order to make money work, Devils can take back Eakin or Reaves if necessary. Whomever makes more sense as a dump.

Edmonton receives:
Nikita Popugayev
2020 7th round pick

New Jersey receives:
Jesse Puljajarvi
Sam Gagner

I'm honestly not sure why Gagner is even in this trade? He's a free agent after the year and the Oilers aren't adding any salary that would require him to be dealt, and the devils don't really need to take him on.

Secondarily, I think it's just too low. I'm not say Pool Party is beastly or anything, but I think that there would be enough interest in a top 5 pick reclamation that he's going to warrant a lot more than this just from market demand. So I think this is just a bad deal for the Oilers.

I'd think something more along the lines of like Yegor Zaisev + mid round pick. The Oilers may not even have interest in that, but I Think that is something to at least consider.

Boston receives:
Brandon Gignac

New Jersey receives:
David Backes
2020 2nd round pick
2021 2nd round pick

I think this is fine. It's really hard to gauge cap dump type deals...I suppose it depends on what kind of bind a team is in. I mean, Marleau got a first for a dump. I can't remember how long was left on the deal though.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
He's included in the deal basically just as something going the other way. The deal is basically Devils are giving Edmonton cap space to make a deadline addition, and EDM has to give up JP to do so.

Uh, wouldn’t the Oil just include Gagner in whatever deadline deal they pursue - given he has an expiring contract - and use Pulju’s value applied to that same deal? Your suggestion makes zero sense. Had it been at the start of the year, it would have been moderately plausible, but still poor value for the Oil.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I don’t like any of these trades for New Jersey or for any of the other teams involved.

Why would Boston or Edmonton say yes? What a rip off

Vegas deal is bad for NJ. Palms and vatanen should not be a package deal. They should each pull a first on their own

Simmer will probably get more than a third from any team that misses out on kreider

Toronto deal is so awful. Imagine paying subban 4.5 mil for the next 2 years to not even play for the devils. He is staying in NJ

Sounds better than paying him $9million to play for the Devils. I’m not saying the Kapanen deal would work, but if NJ can get good value in a Subban trade by retaining $4.5 million, it’s better than accepting the sunk cost of Subban and getting nothing long term....probably not getting much in the short term from him either.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
He's included in the deal basically just as something going the other way. The deal is basically Devils are giving Edmonton cap space to make a deadline addition, and EDM has to give up JP to do so.

You don't honestly think that's reasonable do you? If Edmonton was willing to accept absolute garbage for Puljujarvi he would have been traded a long time ago. Gagner has also been servicable. Holland isn't going to panic trade Puljujarvi to clear 2 million in cap space given they could clear over 1 by sending him down. It makes no sense. Getting someone to take on a 1 year deal at 3 millionish is something a team might give up a 4th or a 5th for and that's only if they really need to.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Uh, wouldn’t the Oil just include Gagner in whatever deadline deal they pursue - given he has an expiring contract - and use Pulju’s value applied to that same deal? Your suggestion makes zero sense. Had it been at the start of the year, it would have been moderately plausible, but still poor value for the Oil.
It wouldn't of been plausible then either.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Sounds better than paying him $9million to play for the Devils. I’m not saying the Kapanen deal would work, but if NJ can get good value in a Subban trade by retaining $4.5 million, it’s better than accepting the sunk cost of Subban and getting nothing long term....probably not getting much in the short term from him either.

For me, it's kind of whatever. I need decent value to trade PK, I think, otherwise I'll just use him up next year for minutes and see if Seattle will take him in the expansion draft. We aren't going anywhere next season, PK is a big boy making a lot of money to get his butt kicked while eating minutes. There's a certain value in that tbh lol.

I'm open to trading him, but I'm not going to look to try and just get out from under him with regards to salary and the like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->