Speculation: New GM Candidates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think any candidate has the potential to wow someone in the interview process.

I happens from time to time in sports when a candidate is more prepared than many candidates with a detailed gameplan for how they want to remake the team they are interviewing with.

For instance, if a candidate came in with a 200+ slide powerpoint going over every player under contract, every prospect in the pipeline, how they look at the draft, FA, detail how they want to remake the roster, and such, I could see that person really wowing LaFontaine and company.

Welp, we know who JB wants as the next GM:

pierre-mcguire-headshot.jpg

Splintered Sherwood

Oct 25, 2013
This is a pretty interesting discussion.

I think if LaFontaine and co. came across a candidate that forced them to legitimately re-think how they view certain aspects of hockey, then that candidate would probably be worth a further look.

One of the problems of trying steal someone from a successful organization is that, if it were me conducting the search, I would worry about the assistant gm just trying to xerox those same ideas and implement them with the Sabres. That person might be successful in the short term, but what if many other teams start adopting those ideas or those ideas become usurped by something else, then you don't know if your shiny new gm can adapt to the changing landscape of the NHL.

Also, how do you separate the ability of a general manager from the simple element of luck? Any GM with two functioning neurons in their brain would have drafted Crosby or Mario Lemieux, and I think having those types of players makes a GM's job easier. Players want to win cups so they can make it rain bills at their strip club of choice with the Stanley Cup in tow, so having generational talent can help/makes it easier to attract talent, which may overstate a GMs ability. Granted this doesn't apply directly to an assistant general manager looking to become a general manager, but when you get down to it, when you have a Gretzky or an Orr in the fold, everyone's life in an organization is easier.

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Surrounding oneself with good leaders is the most important action great leaders do.

I'm fine with Lafontaine's wait to date, and his continuing to wait, in order to vet the right/best candidates.

I'll gladly wait to get the better (yet currently unavailable) leader, if there is a choice. I expect BUF's next GM to last a few years, so it's important to take the long view and get these things right. Normally these things are done with a successor identified and quickly named, yet is was important to act without that in order to remove RonRol and not squander '13'14 development and team morale any further.

I see no reason why Lafontaine would wait longer than necessary, yet conversely not act in haste. I don't view CGY/Feaster/Burke as changing that dynamic so much that BUF needs to take a lesser candidate now because their prized candidate isn't available due to another club's refusal to talk/negotiate. Sabres/Lafontaine need to neogtiate independently, and not allow CGY/Burke to cause them to act irrationally, cause then they'd be, in effect, negotiating against themselves (BUF).

I won't say BUF is the preferred situation over CGY, they are just a little different.

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
This is a pretty interesting discussion.

Also, how do you separate the ability of a general manager from the simple element of luck? Any GM with two functioning neurons in their brain would have drafted Crosby or Mario Lemieux, ....

This is why the AGM's from Phoenix and Ottawa interest me.

Not that I have a great care on the pick. I'm concerned as a fan obviously since this will be monumental from a positive or negative perspective for our future but I don't know any of these guys well enough (nor have I ever talked with them) to second guess whatever decision Patty makes.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Im still wondering what Devine's role will be. Is he gone as soon as the next GM gets his guys in here or is he part of the rebuild going forward.

My next question is why not interview Devine for the GM job? He is the opposite of Regier in terms of personality and has done a great job over the last few years scouting. He knows the roster.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Im still wondering what Devine's role will be. Is he gone as soon as the next GM gets his guys in here or is he part of the rebuild going forward.

My next question is why not interview Devine for the GM job? He is the opposite of Regier in terms of personality and has done a great job over the last few years scouting. He knows the roster.

We don't know if they didn't interview him. In fact, I'd say it's more likely they did than didn't. We wouldn't hear about it because it doesn't involve seeking permission to do so from another team.

Devine and his scouts are highly likely to at least remain through the draft. You can't just blow up your scouting staff in the middle of the season. I like him and would prefer he remain aboard at least on the scouting side, but if the new GM feels differently I will give that vision the benefit of the doubt.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
We don't know if they didn't interview him. In fact, I'd say it's more likely they did than didn't. We wouldn't hear about it because it doesn't involve seeking permission to do so from another team.

Devine and his scouts are highly likely to at least remain through the draft. You can't just blow up your scouting staff in the middle of the season. I like him and would prefer he remain aboard at least on the scouting side, but if the new GM feels differently I will give that vision the benefit of the doubt.

What if they made Devine GM and hired a cap guy to work with him? Would we boo the move?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
What if they made Devine GM and hired a cap guy to work with him? Would we boo the move?
At this point yes. Devine is a draft guy. The fact he was an AGM for a few years here means very little especially when the team has been horribly put together. I'm sure Devine had very little to do with that but he doesn't exactly have a body of work as anything resembling an NHL GM yet.

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll
I think any candidate has the potential to wow someone in the interview process.

I happens from time to time in sports when a candidate is more prepared than many candidates with a detailed gameplan for how they want to remake the team they are interviewing with.

For instance, if a candidate came in with a 200+ slide powerpoint going over every player under contract, every prospect in the pipeline, how they look at the draft, FA, detail how they want to remake the roster, and such, I could see that person really wowing LaFontaine and company.

That is Gregg the Bounty Hunter Williams

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
As others have pointed out already, we have no idea what has gone on behind closed doors or what Patty really thinks about the hiring process thus far.

He may have already found his man but wants to continue the search in the interest of thoroughness and making sure he does not miss someone even better.

Then again, he may have been somewhat unimpressed with those he has interview thus far, and so he wants to keep looking.

For some reason, my gut tells me it is the latter.

Fine by me. Let him take his time and get the right man. No rush in my opinion.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
As others have pointed out already, we have no idea what has gone on behind closed doors or what Patty really thinks about the hiring process thus far.

He may have already found his man but wants to continue the search in the interest of thoroughness and making sure he does not miss someone even better.

Then again, he may have been somewhat unimpressed with those he has interview thus far, and so he wants to keep looking.

For some reason, my gut tells me it is the latter.

Fine by me. Let him take his time and get the right man. No rush in my opinion.

My gut tells me Patty is having 2nd thoughts about not taking the GM position. Maybe after more thought he wants it.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
My gut tells me Patty is having 2nd thoughts about not taking the GM position. Maybe after more thought he wants it.

The man has no experience doing anything in an NHL front office. He was a 'special advisor' or something for the Islanders but he quit in protest after only a couple months I believe. That position isn't enough experience, similar to what I've said about Messier. I'd be very worried if he made himself the GM, though of course it'd be great if he turns out to be a GM genius.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012

Certainly possible! But I don't think so, actually. Patty comes across so honest and forthright, and from the beginning he seemed to indicate he is not ready for and does not want the GM position. I doubt that has changed in a few weeks.

But again, we just don't know.

We will know when the presser is called and the announcement is made. Until then, it's all just fun speculation.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
The man has no experience doing anything in an NHL front office. He was a 'special advisor' or something for the Islanders but he quit in protest after only a couple months I believe. That position isn't enough experience, similar to what I've said about Messier. I'd be very worried if he made himself the GM, though of course it'd be great if he turns out to be a GM genius.

Depends on who he hired around him. Depends on how much he puts on his plate.

NHL GM's tend to last a long time, Patty never said he didnt want to be GM, he just said he was not ready. So if he hires someone else when does he take over as GM, when that guy fails?

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Depends on who he hired around him. Depends on how much he puts on his plate.

NHL GM's tend to last a long time, Patty never said he didnt want to be GM, he just said he was not ready. So if he hires someone else when does he take over as GM, when that guy fails?

Fair question, but it doesn't necessarily imply he has any plan to be GM. I would take it to mean perhaps in the future he'd be comfortable being a GM if presented the opportunity. One way could be being fired from the Sabres and landing a GM job elsewhere. Another way would be feeling the GM he hired should be replaced.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Calgary, Buffalo GM searches going in different directions

By: Ken Campbell on December 13, 2013

In their respective searches for new GMs, it looks as though Pat LaFontaine of the Buffalo Sabres and Brian Burke of the Calgary Flames are taking opposite approaches.

According to sources, LaFontaine is casting a wide net and interviewing lots of candidates before making any decisions. Burke, on the other hand, appears eager to get this done quickly and has zeroed in on a small group, one reportedly headed by former Dallas Stars GM and Flames star Joe Nieuwendyk.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

I agree. Has Pat worked in an office at all other than the last 3 months?

He is still learning how to use the fax machine.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
At this point yes. Devine is a draft guy. The fact he was an AGM for a few years here means very little especially when the team has been horribly put together. I'm sure Devine had very little to do with that but he doesn't exactly have a body of work as anything resembling an NHL GM yet.

Devine has a track record. He is the GM of the Rochester Americans. They have yet to win a playoff game in the last 2 years. They are playing about .500 hockey this season.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Devine has a track record. He is the GM of the Rochester Americans. They have yet to win a playoff game in the last 2 years. They are playing about .500 hockey this season.

Basically every AGM is the GM of the minor league team.

I just dont see Devine as NHL GM material though. He seems like he's a great #2 guy, but not the one you'd want calling all the shot. He's great with the draft, and that's what you'd like your AGM to be. Personally, I don't see him as ever being anything more than that

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

Birds of a feather flock together - and Devine was hand-picked by Regier, which tells you a lot. I'm sorry but I really don't care how much of a hand he had in recent draft selections - he's still a remnant of the former organization's philosophies and, as such, I hope Pat (or the new GM) either demotes him or cuts him loose. Prendergast is just as credible a Scouting Director as Devine IMO.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I agree. Has Pat worked in an office at all other than the last 3 months?

He is still learning how to use the fax machine.

Upon retirement, Pat was busy with his "Companions in Courage" charity as well as a homebuilding business on Long Island. He spent short stints as advisor to Islanders and just recently in an administrative role with the NHL. He's no naive to the business side of the sport.

According to sources, LaFontaine is casting a wide net and interviewing lots of candidates before making any decisions. Burke, on the other hand, appears eager to get this done quickly and has zeroed in on a small group, one reportedly headed by former Dallas Stars GM and Flames star Joe Nieuwendyk

While Burke told Sportsnet that he wants to find a replacement just so his time as interim GM will be as short as possible, he also said that his self-imposed earlier trade freeze takes some of the urgency in having someone on board before the holidays - and, like Pat, Burke has pointed out that if the guy(s) he wants isn't available or allowed to interview with other teams til the summer, then the Flames will wait.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I didn't know that Burke tried to hire Futa in an administrative capacity in Toronto right before e accepted the Kings' scouting job. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad