Speculation: New GM Candidates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
LaFontaine has been candid that they may wait until the offseason if they have to. I shudder at the panic that will descend upon this board if Pat follows through on that statement.

If that's what he needs to do to get the guy he wants, so be it. Patty and Devine can hold down the fort until then. As long as we have a guy in place by the draft, it should be all right. I'd rather wait until the offseason and get the right guy than have him hire somebody now just to have a guy.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Im not really worried about Calgary making a move first. I feel no one has wowed Patty enough yet.

There is no super star candidate that stands out, all these guys are pretty equal.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
As long as we have a guy in place by the draft, it should be all right. I'd rather wait until the offseason and get the right guy than have him hire somebody now just to have a guy.
Im not really worried about Calgary making a move first. I feel no one has wowed Patty enough yet.

There is no super star candidate that stands out, all these guys are pretty equal.
Regardless of which side you fall on, these two ideas don't mix (not that they were intended to, but just to make a point). If they're all pretty much equal, then there's no reason to wait until the draft. I do agree that, while we all have our preferences, there's no one "WOW!" candidate, at least from what I've seen, so there's no reason to drag this out indefinitely if that's the case. Even if there is, is this person really THAT Bruce Almighty *****in'? Okay, if they can part seas or trade for Ovechkin or get my dog to wizz in the toilet, I'll wait. Otherwise I'm all for being methodical, and I applaud the current pace, but waiting until the end of the season is a little much. There's more to stepping into the GM role than merely prepping for the draft.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Regardless of which side you fall on, these two ideas don't mix (not that they were intended to, but just to make a point). If they're all pretty much equal, then there's no reason to wait until the draft. I do agree that, while we all have our preferences, there's no one "WOW!" candidate, at least from what I've seen, so there's no reason to drag this out indefinitely if that's the case. Even if there is, is this person really THAT Bruce Almighty *****in'? Okay, if they can part seas or trade for Ovechkin or get my dog to wizz in the toilet, I'll wait. Otherwise I'm all for being methodical, and I applaud the current pace, but waiting until the end of the season is a little much. There's more to stepping into the GM role than merely prepping for the draft.

While there may not be a "WOW" candidate on paper, you never know how the interviews go.

I would be surprised if LaFontaine hasn't made his choice by the time the WJCs are over.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Pierre LeBrun of ESPN held an online chat today:

Q: The better GM gig is in Calgary or Buffalo? I would include the NY Isles but we all know Garth Snow will be GM for as long as Wang is the owner...

Pierre LeBrun Buffalo. More coming up the pipe. Calgary has very little in the organization. Plus Sabres have the first-round pick from the Vanek deal.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
While there may not be a "WOW" candidate on paper, you never know how the interviews go.
That's why I said, "at least from what I've seen," but not just because of the interviews, maybe Pat L. has someone he really coveted before the process began, or someone who was recommended highly, like a Fenton. Who knows? We can only speculate, though to be a fly on the wall, huh?
I would be surprised if LaFontaine hasn't made his choice by the time the WJCs are over.
Agreed.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Any team/workplace who denies their employee from receiving a better job/more money/higher profile gig isn't a place to be working for. Not that I care about which GM we get as long as its the right one. I just don't understand why Botterill hasn't been hired.... Won a cup, knows the cap well, assistant GM, Pitt connection to Black and also even played for the Sabres/Rochester.... I don't see how that isn't a slam dunk candidate.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That's why I said, "at least from what I've seen," but not just because of the interviews, maybe Pat L. has someone he really coveted before the process began, or someone who was recommended highly, like a Fenton. Who knows? We can only speculate, though to be a fly on the wall, huh?

The best sign to me that there hasn't been someone WOW him in the interview process is the expansion of the list of candidates.

Although, there has been a lot of talk about Pat gathering intel from other clubs, like his conversations with Cam Neely before the hire was announced. So, who knows how much of this is just intel gathering....

I just want to see the white smoke so we can dissect the next GM.

:laugh:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Any team/workplace who denies their employee from receiving a better job/more money/higher profile gig isn't a place to be working for. Not that I care about which GM we get as long as its the right one. I just don't understand why Botterill hasn't been hired.... Won a cup, knows the cap well, assistant GM, Pitt connection to Black and also even played for the Sabres/Rochester.... I don't see how that isn't a slam dunk candidate.

While I wouldn't complain about Botterill being hired, let's not overvalue "his" Cup. Pittsburgh won the Cup ten months after he was hired. He had very little, if any, input on that roster that won Stanley.

Splintered Sherwood

Oct 25, 2013

I agree with you, who knows if there is or isn't a WOW candidate? Most if not all people here aren't privy to the interview process, so I don't think anyone can comment on the 'wow-ability' of someone currently toiling in the ranks of the assistant gm ranks.

That being said, I think a 'wow-able' assistant gm simply does not exist. Firstly, you can't exactly know if any say revolutionary approach to something such as amateur scouting or player evaluation is a function of the assistant manager's brilliance, his general manager's, or simply the product of a committee of coaches and managers.

Secondly, an assistant general manager can't be a 'wow-able' candidate because the nature of his position is that he has limitations, largely in that he acts as a second pair of hands of the GM. He's not the one making most of the final decisions or, he's simply putting his gm's decisions into action.

There is a lot of projection involved in bumping up an assistant gm to a gm position, so I can understand why its taking some time. The Habs took a month to hire Bergevin, and I think one advantage he had is that he had experience in a number of different job titles in an organization. Also, him coming from the Hawks also helped.

I'm not worried about that pompous blowhard Brian Burke entering into the fray for a GM. The one advantage he may have over LaFontaine is that his network of contacts within the hockey community is probably larger. The one disadvantage Brian Burke has is that, well, he's Brian Burke.

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
While I wouldn't complain about Botterill being hired, let's not overvalue "his" Cup. Pittsburgh won the Cup ten months after he was hired. He had very little, if any, input on that roster that won Stanley.

Let's not overvalue anyone's Cup because it's destined to be a mistake. You have to evaluate the big picture.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I agree with you, who knows if there is or isn't a WOW candidate? Most if not all people here aren't privy to the interview process, so I don't think anyone can comment on the 'wow-ability' of someone currently toiling in the ranks of the assistant gm ranks.

That being said, I think a 'wow-able' assistant gm simply does not exist. Firstly, you can't exactly know if any say revolutionary approach to something such as amateur scouting or player evaluation is a function of the assistant manager's brilliance, his general manager's, or simply the product of a committee of coaches and managers.

Secondly, an assistant general manager can't be a 'wow-able' candidate because the nature of his position is that he has limitations, largely in that he acts as a second pair of hands of the GM. He's not the one making most of the final decisions or, he's simply putting his gm's decisions into action.

There is a lot of projection involved in bumping up an assistant gm to a gm position, so I can understand why its taking some time. The Habs took a month to hire Bergevin, and I think one advantage he had is that he had experience in a number of different job titles in an organization. Also, him coming from the Hawks also helped.

I'm not worried about that pompous blowhard Brian Burke entering into the fray for a GM. The one advantage he may have over LaFontaine is that his network of contacts within the hockey community is probably larger. The one disadvantage Brian Burke has is that, well, he's Brian Burke.

I think any candidate has the potential to wow someone in the interview process.

I happens from time to time in sports when a candidate is more prepared than many candidates with a detailed gameplan for how they want to remake the team they are interviewing with.

For instance, if a candidate came in with a 200+ slide powerpoint going over every player under contract, every prospect in the pipeline, how they look at the draft, FA, detail how they want to remake the roster, and such, I could see that person really wowing LaFontaine and company.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think any candidate has the potential to wow someone in the interview process.

I happens from time to time in sports when a candidate is more prepared than many candidates with a detailed gameplan for how they want to remake the team they are interviewing with.

For instance, if a candidate came in with a 200+ slide powerpoint going over every player under contract, every prospect in the pipeline, how they look at the draft, FA, detail how they want to remake the roster, and such, I could see that person really wowing LaFontaine and company.

I could do that... CALL ME PATTY

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Has he proven he can JUDGE TALENT? Sure he knows the cap, and won a cup(thanks to years of top tier talent leading the team to the cup, but my question is how much player personnel DECISIONS was involved in building those teams.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

lol .. I'd show the guy the door if he came in with a 200+ slide powerpoint talking about players under contract and prospects.

I wouldn't want a manufactured presentation... I want to know who he is..what his strengths and weaknesses are and what his philosophy is.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
lol .. I'd show the guy the door if he came in with a 200+ slide powerpoint talking about players under contract and prospects.

I wouldn't want a manufactured presentation... I want to know who he is..what his strengths and weaknesses are and what his philosophy is.

Isn't that manufactured presentation demonstrating what his philosophy would be? :dunno:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I would want to know his general philosophy AND I'd want to know what his plan would be for remaking the team, what he felt about the next couple draft classes, the next couple UFA classes, etc.

And if he didn't have his homework done about my team, I would wonder about his work ethic.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Isn't that manufactured presentation demonstrating what his philosophy would be? :dunno:

Yeah, I would take the presnetation all day long. I'd want the prepared guy who 1. knows what he's talking about and 2. shows his plan and how he works. I'd rather them hire a guy that says, "this is what needs to happen to build a winning team and here's why" than a guy that rambles about the fact that he wants to win, and will bring "winners" to the organization.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I would want to know his general philosophy AND I'd want to know what his plan would be for remaking the team, what he felt about the next couple draft classes, the next couple UFA classes, etc.

And if he didn't have his homework done about my team, I would wonder about his work ethic.

I don't think that's fair considering every candidate is contractually obligated to carry out their day-to-day duties with their current clubs. This isn't the offseason.

I don't expect them to come in with anything more than a vague grasp of the current roster/pipeline. I expect them to come in with a vision. Their job (at the interview) is to be thorough in presenting that vision.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

I guess I just figure a persons philosophy would come naturally...and be presented naturally.

I mean you could do that with a powerpoint presentation showing your past actions of drafting so and so as being examples of your overall philosophy ... but I wouldn't be impressed with it.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I don't think that's fair considering every candidate is contractually obligated to carry out their day-to-day duties with their current clubs. This isn't the offseason.

I don't expect them to come in with anything more than a vague grasp of the current roster/pipeline. I expect them to come in with a vision. Their job (at the interview) is to be thorough in presenting that vision.

Agreed. Totally unfair to expect candidates to have a grip on the specifics of the Sabre organization

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Any team/workplace who denies their employee from receiving a better job/more money/higher profile gig isn't a place to be working for.

I agree. I was pissed when I found out my boss denied me being on the promotable list because he didn't want to lose me during a busy time of year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad