Speculation: New GM Candidates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
According to this report from Calgary Sun, the Sabres are interested in Loiselle as well:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/12/14/flames-burke-vs-sabres-lafontaine-in-gm-search

Nothing really new here. He was expected to be someone they would consider.

My gut feeling---

LaFontaine meets with the PHX Asst GM when PHX plays in toronto on thursday.

The other window is Phoenix playing in Buffalo on Monday.

My feeling is they interview him on Wed or Thu If they hire him---it would be in a press conference on Sunday or Monday before the game against PHX.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Nothing really new here. He was expected to be someone they would consider.

My gut feeling---

LaFontaine meets with the PHX Asst GM when PHX plays in toronto on thursday.

The other window is Phoenix playing in Buffalo on Monday.

My feeling is they interview him on Wed or Thu If they hire him---it would be in a press conference on Sunday or Monday before the game against PHX.

I haven't heard any reports that the Yotes have granted permission

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I just dont see Devine as NHL GM material though. He seems like he's a great #2 guy,

I agree with the above.

I like Devine, but he is Darcy's guy. If the new GM develops a rapport with him and keeps him, fine. If he decides to hire someone else I am fine with that too.

Last edited:

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
I agree with the above.

I like Devine, but he is Darcy's guy. If the new GM develops a rapport with him and keeps him, fine. If he decides to hire someone else I am fine with that too.

I think Devine is safe unless he wants to leave. Pegula and Ted Black have said multiple times that they view the management structure similar to a corporation and under that guise it would seem that Devine is the Director of Draft and Scouting. The GM is going to be the creative vision that directs the scouting folks, along with everything else, but Devine, imo is like has been said "a perfect #2 guy" and also pretty safe in his job unless he gets bored.

I wonder more and more what LaFontaine's real job is going to be when the GM is in place, but then I think about redundancy in corporate management structure and realize he's probably more of an administrator and the piece between pegula and the GM that says "hey this guy is an idiot, we need to fire him" that we didn't have previously. Hopefully Patty knows what he's doing or at least hires someone that does or I'd rather we just kept Regier for the rebuild.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Roger Millions ‏@RogMillions 21h

@friedgeHNIC says Flames have permission to talk to Bruins Asst. GM Jim Benning about GM position. No Surprise here.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Roger Millions ‏@RogMillions 21h

@friedgeHNIC says Flames have permission to talk to Bruins Asst. GM Jim Benning about GM position. No Surprise here.

Burke can have him. Never really been on the Benning bandwagon.

Eh, I'm also not that keen on Benning as an option - of the rumored names, Futa and Murray carry more appeal to me. I don't see Lombardi letting Burke even speak to Futa though.

Splintered Sherwood

Oct 25, 2013
Maybe this is tangential to the discussion, but is the Sabres bloated hockey executive structure an impediment to any GM coming in? I don't think any other team has as many people in hockey operations as the Sabres have, so I wonder how any GM would try and navigate that.

One aspect of having so many people have an ability to provide input is that it places a high value on the amount of input available. But what if a prospective GM is a quality first rather than quantity first kind of guy, does he take the job with the prospect of having to fire a bunch of people because he sees a bunch of redundancy in the organization? I realize GMs get to bring in some of their own people, but, that also has to cohere with how an organization structures its hockey operations.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Maybe this is tangential to the discussion, but is the Sabres bloated hockey executive structure an impediment to any GM coming in? I don't think any other team has as many people in hockey operations as the Sabres have, so I wonder how any GM would try and navigate that.

One aspect of having so many people have an ability to provide input is that it places a high value on the amount of input available. But what if a prospective GM is a quality first rather than quantity first kind of guy, does he take the job with the prospect of having to fire a bunch of people because he sees a bunch of redundancy in the organization? I realize GMs get to bring in some of their own people, but, that also has to cohere with how an organization structures its hockey operations.

What bloated hockey executive structure do you speak of?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

huh? They have a President of Hockey Operations and a Coach in place as of right now... What bloated organization do u talk about?

Even when they do get a GM it will be straight forward

Owner
President of Hockey Operations
GM
Assistant GM
Coach

Pretty standard if you ask me... If your wondering what Ted Black does, he has nothing to do with the Hockey side of things.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

Are you talking about the number of scouts? Otherwise, I am very confused.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=439258

Q: What is the latest on the vacant general manager positions in Buffalo and Calgary?

McKenzie: The Sabres' search continues and they're looking at some time in the New Year, probably in January or February, likely before the Olympics but no absolute guarantee. I thought the Calgary search might heat up really quickly and get done a lot sooner than Buffalo but now I'm starting to get the opposite feeling. While Brian Burke has received permission from the Dallas Stars to talk to Joe Nieuwendyk, he actually hasn't reached out to him yet. There's speculation that Nieuwendyk maybe isn't ready to jump back into the general manager's market at this time and Burke has not yet asked for permission to talk to anyone else. This might be one that carries on for months and maybe longer if they realize the person they want is not available until the end of the year.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I was mostly thinking of the number of scouts, so maybe phrasing it as a bloated hockey operation was not the best turn of phrase.

Why would any GM candidate be upset over a large number of scouts?

The scouts bring their info to their respective departments (pro/ amateur). Then it's brought by the assistant GM or director of scouting who handles the pro or amateur side to the GM. It's not like they all get into a room with the GM and argue over who they like.

Combined that huge scouting staff with our video scouting prowess and our new gm would have one hell of a tool at his disposal.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Why would any GM candidate be upset over a large number of scouts?

The scouts bring their info to their respective departments (pro/ amateur). Then it's brought by the assistant GM or director of scouting who handles the pro or amateur side to the GM. It's not like they all get into a room with the GM and argue over who they like.

Combined that huge scouting staff with our video scouting prowess and our new gm would have one hell of a tool at his disposal.

More Scouts the better in my eyes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad