• None of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Some thoughts from Coyotes fans on Tocchet,

Winnipeg fans, I’m sorry. If there is truth, and he accepts the job, here is what you can expect.

Your starting goalie WILL be injured. He will
play someone 21 games in a row. He does not give your starters a break until they’re being helped off the ice.

In game adjustments? No, never. Even when you’re getting hemmed in your own zone and clapped on the scoreboard, you will come out and defend the deficit.

Physical play? He has been on record saying he doesn’t like fighting. Never seen intensity being coached out of a team like I did with RT.

Power play dies in the neutral zone every time. Every time.

His post game interviews. “Ummm, I don’t know.” He’s honestly f***ing clueless.

Have young players? They won’t get meaningful minutes. No one gets better under him. The difference in play and development between Tocchet and how Tourigny had the Coyotes playing, with FAR less talent is telling.

He’s definitely a guy who the players would love to have a beer with, ask Derek Stepan.

and

He literally answers every question by stuttering and stammering some version of “I don’t know…”. I’ve never seen anything like it. Someone so clearly in over their head at such a high level, and allowed to just keeping on failing and failing and failing.

He’s good at being buddies with veteran players. Likes to drink beers and gamble with Kessels and Stepans. He’s fine assistant coach if you have a couple of the best players in the world on your PP. But as a head coach? Forget it. They don’t make them any less effective.

I mean Keller, Chychrun, Dvorak, Crouse seem to counter that notion that he doesn't play youth.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
OK, so be careful with that one means what? Don't be putting your name on that rumour because it might not be true? Or that it is true but there's a good chance Tocchet will turn it down? Honestly, it just gets on my nerves when these guys play their little game of "ooh, I've heard things but I can't tell you". Like, just STFU with all the cryptic I've got a secret, nyah nyah stuff.
Friedman said he was told from a “decent source” to be careful on that one (Tocchet being offered a contract by the Jets)… so he doesn’t know what to think here.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Yeah I don't believe this at all.
Be honest with me

How many times last year when we got pushed around or helly was ran or a dirty hit for example did our team push back as hard as the other 31 teams in the league ?

How many times did we just stand there and let things happen

How many times did a jets game look like pond hockey and when you watched another game it was faster and more intense ?

Reactions: hn777

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
I mean Keller, Chychrun, Dvorak, Crouse seem to counter that notion that he doesn't play youth.
Scheifele, Morrissey, Trouba, Stanley, Appleton, Lowry, Ehlers, Connor, Copp, Laine, PLD, Roslovic, etc…. Counter the notion that Maurice didn’t play youth, that didn’t stop lots of people claiming Maurice doesn’t play youth.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Be honest with me

How many times last year when we got pushed around or helly was ran or a dirty hit for example did our team push back as hard as the other 31 teams in the league ?

How many times did we just stand there and let things happen

How many times did a jets game look like pond hockey and when you watched another game it was faster and more intense ?

Be honest with me.

Why do you change the subject when someone replies to a post of yours?

I've watched plenty of regular season games from other teams where there was all the intensity of a wet pool noodle.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Some thoughts from Coyotes fans on Tocchet,

Winnipeg fans, I’m sorry. If there is truth, and he accepts the job, here is what you can expect.

Your starting goalie WILL be injured. He will
play someone 21 games in a row. He does not give your starters a break until they’re being helped off the ice.

In game adjustments? No, never. Even when you’re getting hemmed in your own zone and clapped on the scoreboard, you will come out and defend the deficit.

Physical play? He has been on record saying he doesn’t like fighting. Never seen intensity being coached out of a team like I did with RT.

Power play dies in the neutral zone every time. Every time.

His post game interviews. “Ummm, I don’t know.” He’s honestly f***ing clueless.

Have young players? They won’t get meaningful minutes. No one gets better under him. The difference in play and development between Tocchet and how Tourigny had the Coyotes playing, with FAR less talent is telling.

He’s definitely a guy who the players would love to have a beer with, ask Derek Stepan.

and

He literally answers every question by stuttering and stammering some version of “I don’t know…”. I’ve never seen anything like it. Someone so clearly in over their head at such a high level, and allowed to just keeping on failing and failing and failing.

He’s good at being buddies with veteran players. Likes to drink beers and gamble with Kessels and Stepans. He’s fine assistant coach if you have a couple of the best players in the world on your PP. But as a head coach? Forget it. They don’t make them any less effective.
Well I hope we sign Derek Stepan this offseason he's on my target list for a 4th line improvement. Someone who can back up Appleton.

I don't know much about Rich Tocchet. Good hockey player. Played with heart. I remember watching the NHLPA Be a Player show and he talked about playing with better hockey players than himself as a teenager and watching a lot of them go the wayside because of drinking, smoking, and drugs.

What will he bring? Hopefully structure and discipline. This is a good case for having Scott Arniel as the veteran assistant to help run things.

It's funny though the list of Stanley Cup winning coaches without employment include Quenneville (waiting for the dust to settle), Trotz (taking a break), Babcock (probably never coaches in the NHL again), Marc Crawford, Ken Hitchcock and Claude Julien. And Randy Carlyle. Maybe add Bob Hartley to the list?

Vigneault was my initial pick, sounds like he isn't available either.

Doesn't seem like the Jets are going for the cream of the crop, but you'd have to think Chevy and Zinger have some idea what they are doing. And maybe it's just like the veteran players, no one wants to be here.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Scheifele, Morrissey, Trouba, Stanley, Appleton, Lowry, Ehlers, Connor, Copp, Laine, PLD, Roslovic, etc…. Counter the notion that Maurice didn’t play youth, that didn’t stop lots of people claiming Maurice doesn’t play youth.

well of course youth is going to get ice time. I think the issue is when it seems like lesser "veteran" guys are getting played instead of young guys who probably have more up side or more skill but due to a risk-averse style the coach won't put them out there.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
All I can say is at least it isn't Blashill or Arniel if it's Tocchet. If they suck, they suck. There's no optimism here.

There were some young guys being touted, not just here but around the league. I don't even remember the names, TBH. Was there a Lalonde? Others?

I would go with one of them over any candidates still being mentioned.

We are probably getting another retread loser HC.
We are probably not fixing the issues in the room.
We are not likely trading key players who are going to leave in 2 years.
We are probably getting another 2 years just like last year and then starting a rebuild.

Reactions: Zippity

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

I think the be careful just means the dude is not super convinced he wants to be a coach again yet. So TNSE definitely has a type haha.

but...but...why would anyone choose a $150,000 tv gig over a million or two per head coaching gig? I thought that doesn't happen??

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I think the be careful just means the dude is not super convinced he wants to be a coach again yet. So TNSE definitely has a type haha.

American TV gigs are super easy gigs for lots of money.

What should be the takeaway here is that the Jets are offering jobs to people who aren't convinced they want to coach right now.

It's not like these guys are making no money or are crying themselves to sleep every night because they don't have a head coaching job anymore. They know what it's like and maybe they just don't want to do it. A head coach job doesn't end when the season ends, it's full time, intense work. Why not travel to Atlanta once or twice a week for a bunch of money, talk about hockey with no pressure, and live where you want?

We talk about the pull of being close to home for Trotz so he can be close to his family - why coach and travel all the time when you can get $4 million to do nothing? You have unlimited time to spend with your family if you aren't working at all.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Exactly this. At least arguably the most talented team Maurice had was with us

Tocchet has had better teams and made them worse. His years with the Bolts were some of their most disappointing during Stamkos’ tenure there

He is a good assistant coach. But just as our Coyotes fan visitor stated, he is very bad at being a head coach. He did have some good talent on his Yotes teams too.

In fairness, in 2010 Stamkos was 19, Hedman was 18, James Wright was on the team, they had no goalie, MSL was 34. They had some high end scoring but some big holes too.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
When Wiebe and Hustler were talking about him yesterday I thought the stuff Wiebe was saying he was good at were the exact same things Maurice was said to be good at. He can maybe connect better with some players given that he's played at a high level as well but just hiring a guy who sounds like a copy of the last guy seems like a weird choice.

Ultimately I don't think it matters all that much who the coach is, not much difference outside of maybe a couple exceptions on the good and bad side. I'd probably rather go for Vincent right now or even Morrison who did a great job with the Moose this year. Let a new guy get a shot and then if things really go to hell he's just your rebuild guy and you can look for someone else when things are swinging back up.
Going with Morrison and elevating old man Dubois to an NHL assistant might sway PLD to sign long term!?

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah so they want a veteran to go for it with, but if everything falls apart you probably don't feel too bad about canning Bowness when a new GM comes in in a year or two.

🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad