• Brunette

• None of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
With all the rumours about Dubois, Scheifle, Wheeler and even Hellebucyk it has to give any coach second thoughts.

I am on the anyone but Tocchet group but whatever happens happens.

The roster shuffle is far more interesting / important atm. Draft day could see some major shakeups.

Reactions: sipowicz

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
so now were just going to make up trades to complain about...
It’s high expectations that are not met.

Going from Trotz to Tocchet isn’t far off from proposals including the likes of Chytil, Kaakko, Schneider, Othmann to settling on the lesser pieces

And btw, complaining about trade values is exactly what goes on over 90% of these boards.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Good point. He had maybe 1 first line player in any given year to work with in Arizona. His best centers were second line caliber. He's likely getting 4 first liners hwre including 2 number 1 C's and a Vezina goalie. That is a much better starting point. Throw in Perfetti and likely another acquisition (Tochett not at all afraid to play smaller skill guys like Keller and Garland) and he has a top 6 a mile better then he had there.

From what I can gather he prefers to run a moder top 9 and his third lines scored decently well. So that is something different he may bring to the table here.

So maybe he brings a similar template as the 2016 Pens where he uses a modern top 9, speed and puck pressure with a mobile dcore.

PK's outside of 20-21 were quite respectable, PP's were not but that might be a talent issue.

So If we do bring in Rick and say Arniel then I'd expect a good PK and a balanced forward core with a more mobile dcore. We'd need to bring in an assistant that specializes in the PP and one with a good mind for defense.

Another thing Arizona's metrics this year were significantly worse then anything they did with Tochett. As they were the year before he got there.

This year they had a relative XGF/60 of -18% in
terms of offensive chance generarion whereas they were between a -1 to -6% under Tochett. The year preeceeding Rick they were -10%.

They were a + 12% relative XGA/60 this year In terms of chances given up. With Tochett they were break even to + 7 XGA/60. The year that preceeded Rick they were + 22%

So to me Tochett got significantly more out of the team in terms of chance share then the coaches who predated and preceeded him.

I actually feel a lot better now about him. He improved that Coyotes team by a lot in terms of 5 on 5 play.
Of course, now that you've presented him in a positive light, he's going to turn down the Jets offer for sure. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: TommyKillian

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
It’s high expectations that are not met.

Going from Trotz to Tocchet isn’t far off from proposals including the likes of Chytil, Kaakko, Schneider, Othmann to settling on the lesser pieces

And btw, complaining about trade values is exactly what goes on over 90% of these boards.
we can't control a coach taking a year off instead of coaching us, however we can control trading pld for far less then what he's worth... you aren't discussing trade values though, you are making up a fantasy trade in order to complain about it... I don't see many people around here doing that...

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Some thoughts from Coyotes fans on Tocchet,

Winnipeg fans, I’m sorry. If there is truth, and he accepts the job, here is what you can expect.

Your starting goalie WILL be injured. He will
play someone 21 games in a row. He does not give your starters a break until they’re being helped off the ice.

In game adjustments? No, never. Even when you’re getting hemmed in your own zone and clapped on the scoreboard, you will come out and defend the deficit.

Physical play? He has been on record saying he doesn’t like fighting. Never seen intensity being coached out of a team like I did with RT.

Power play dies in the neutral zone every time. Every time.

His post game interviews. “Ummm, I don’t know.” He’s honestly f***ing clueless.

Have young players? They won’t get meaningful minutes. No one gets better under him. The difference in play and development between Tocchet and how Tourigny had the Coyotes playing, with FAR less talent is telling.

He’s definitely a guy who the players would love to have a beer with, ask Derek Stepan.

and

He literally answers every question by stuttering and stammering some version of “I don’t know…”. I’ve never seen anything like it. Someone so clearly in over their head at such a high level, and allowed to just keeping on failing and failing and failing.

He’s good at being buddies with veteran players. Likes to drink beers and gamble with Kessels and Stepans. He’s fine assistant coach if you have a couple of the best players in the world on your PP. But as a head coach? Forget it. They don’t make them any less effective.

Reactions: mondo3

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Winnipeg fans, I’m sorry. If there is truth, and he accepts the job, here is what you can expect.

play someone 21 games in a row. He does not give your starters a break until they’re being helped off the ice.

In game adjustments? No, never. Even when you’re getting hemmed in your own zone and clapped on the scoreboard, you will come out and defend the deficit.

Physical play? He has been on record saying he doesn’t like fighting. Never seen intensity being coached out of a team like I did with RT.

Have young players? They won’t get meaningful minutes. No one gets better under him. The difference in play and development between Tocchet and how Tourigny had the Coyotes playing, with FAR less talent is telling.

He’s definitely a guy who the players would love to have a beer with, ask Derek Stepan.

and

He literally answers every question by stuttering and stammering some version of “I don’t know…”. I’ve never seen anything like it. Someone so clearly in over their head at such a high level, and allowed to just keeping on failing and failing and failing.

He’s good at being buddies with veteran players. Likes to drink beers and gamble with Kessels and Stepans. He’s fine assistant coach if you have a couple of the best players in the world on your PP. But as a head coach? Forget it. They don’t make them any less effective.

Sounds exactly like the team last year.

Running the starter into the ground? Check.
Team with little to no intensity (unless it's the Leafs at home)? Check.
Rough PP zone entry? Check.
No adjustments? Check.

That said, I'll take this with a big grain of salt because most fanbases really don't like the last coach and ignore successes and amplify failures.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

No adjustments? Check.

That said, I'll take this with a big grain of salt because most fanbases really don't like the last coach and ignore successes and amplify failures.

So, he'll fit right in with this group? :laugh:

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

No adjustments? Check.

It’s probably why he’s the front runner. Chipman loves the respectful, pick your opponents up after you hit them type of game.

Pats on the back all around and don’t offend the other team ..

Respect and loyalty over winning

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Tocchet needing to "think about it" is depressing. "Winnipeg is my 7th choice to coach, hmmm do I leave this cool TV gig in hotlanta or freeze my ass off? Tough choice "

I could quote Milton but I'm going to resist 😞
Yeah and he hasn’t coached or played in a Canadian Market since his junior days with the Soo Greyhounds in 1983-84. Likely has no real ambition of coming to the frozen depths of Manitoba.

Reactions: Jetsfan79

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

and

Sounds like Maurice!

And as usual Jets in the back of the line even to find a head coach!

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Sounds like Maurice!

And as usual Jets in the back of the line even to find a head coach!
When Wiebe and Hustler were talking about him yesterday I thought the stuff Wiebe was saying he was good at were the exact same things Maurice was said to be good at. He can maybe connect better with some players given that he's played at a high level as well but just hiring a guy who sounds like a copy of the last guy seems like a weird choice.

Ultimately I don't think it matters all that much who the coach is, not much difference outside of maybe a couple exceptions on the good and bad side. I'd probably rather go for Vincent right now or even Morrison who did a great job with the Moose this year. Let a new guy get a shot and then if things really go to hell he's just your rebuild guy and you can look for someone else when things are swinging back up.

Reactions: sipowicz

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
on 32 thoughts friedman said he heard the rumors on tochett and was told be careful with that one...

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
When Wiebe and Hustler were talking about him yesterday I thought the stuff Wiebe was saying he was good at were the exact same things Maurice was said to be good at. He can maybe connect better with some players given that he's played at a high level as well but just hiring a guy who sounds like a copy of the last guy seems like a weird choice.

Ultimately I don't think it matters all that much who the coach is, not much difference outside of maybe a couple exceptions on the good and bad side. I'd probably rather go for Vincent right now or even Morrison who did a great job with the Moose this year. Let a new guy get a shot and then if things really go to hell he's just your rebuild guy and you can look for someone else when things are swinging back up.
Why would that seem weird? The Jets would still be happily employing Maurice had he not taken his coach's whistle and gone home.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

yeah I don't think it matters much now because we aren't getting a "big catch" type of guy. I would have liked to see someone like Trotz because there's that extra bit of gravitas. Even veteran players would have to give him some respect.

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
I watched the interview posted earlier with Tocchet. He says I can tell you all about any system any team plays like Washington. Then doesn’t give a single example of what they do. Then after seeing some comments from Coyote fans about him it kind of sounds like perhaps he doesn’t actually know what he’s talking about. The reason he claims he adapts his systems to his players is because he lets them do what they want.
We didn’t listen to the warnings about PoMo when other fan bases told us what to expect and he was exactly as described. Hope I’m wrong but I expect this to be a disaster. You don’t pin your hopes on a coach with little to no success. We tried that with Maurice and look where that got us.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Yzerman on Blashill....

“Jeff Blashill is a good hockey coach. He ran a really good program,” Yzerman said in a press conference on Monday afternoon. “I can certainly attest to what has been our program for the last three years because it’s been dictated by me. You cannot judge Jeff Blashill on the Detroit Red Wings’ record. I think you judge it on how he ran this program and how he conducted himself, and he was extremely professional in that.” He added: “Pardon the expression, but he ran a good program. This wasn’t a complete shitshow.”

Yzerman points to the defense as the biggest sore spot. “We’ve been unable to, with the group that we’ve had, specifically in that area, to get better,” Yzerman said. “To get our team to play, both individually and collectively, as a sounder defensive hockey team. And it’s been three years we’ve been trying."

“It hasn’t been a lack of discussion, a lack of effort on the coaching staff’s behalf, or trying. We just haven’t been able to do it. I look at this now as - that’s an area that’s going to need to improve. In order to do that, I’m going to bring in a new coach and see if he can’t do that with the group that we have.”
Maurice 2.0

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
on 32 thoughts friedman said he heard the rumors on tochett and was told be careful with that one...
OK, so be careful with that one means what? Don't be putting your name on that rumour because it might not be true? Or that it is true but there's a good chance Tocchet will turn it down? Honestly, it just gets on my nerves when these guys play their little game of "ooh, I've heard things but I can't tell you". Like, just STFU with all the cryptic I've got a secret, nyah nyah stuff.

Reactions: Zippity
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad