• Carberry

• Montgomery

• Brunette

• None of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Let me be clear, this thread is about new head coaching options to hire, this is not the thread to discuss/complain about PMO we already have a coaching thread to discuss the current HC (that would likely be OT depending on the context). If you don’t want to participate in the thread subject then don’t post in it, I have little patience for OT whining (aka PMO is hired for life he’ll never be fired or PMO won’t be fired until Wheeler retires crap posts).

What options are there out there looking for work or promotion to a NHL head coach role? Thoughts? Make this a constructive thread.

Whatever HC we in theory hired would bring along/hire his own asst coaches likely.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Names I've seen thrown around that are presumably available (and some thoughts):
Pascal Vincent
Lane Lambert
Bruce Boudreau
Claude Julien - There's been talk of whether he's affordable for the Jets. I think coaching salaries have regressed a bit since Babcock's stint in Toronto.
Rick Tocchet
Rikard Grönborg - There's been talk about him coming to North America for what feels like a decade.
Dan Bylsma
James Patrick - Doubt he leaves a 20-1 Ice team even for the NHL, honestly.

Reactions: hn777

JonS

Oct 14, 2021
Rocky Thompson, San Jose Sharks associate coach
Thompson, 43, was known as a tough guy and agitator during his playing career, but is rebranding himself as a coach. His breakthrough came at the 2015 NHL Coaches Association Global Coaches' Clinic in Florida. Thompson was unemployed at the time, but gave a speech about offense in hockey that "was incredibly motivating and impressive," said one respondent to our polling.
After leading the OHL's Windsor Spitfires to the 2017 Memorial Cup, the Vegas Golden Knights hired Thompson to be the first coach of their AHL farm team in Chicago. He led the Chicago Wolves to the 2019 Calder Cup Final.
"He's been a steadily rising, hot name," one respondent said. "He's going to keep getting interviews and I imagine he'll be behind an NHL bench sooner rather than later."

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
I'm not familiar with many names in the article, but from the description I like the sound of Velluci. It seems to me that True North wants 'player coaches' that relate well, and he so he might fit that description.

Roy isn't a guy that will fit into the organizational culture - he's always been a bit hotheaded.

I'm a Vincent fan, but I'm not sure he's leaving Columbus soon (it sounds like he's almost a co-HC there). He's an intelligent, calm coach who is clear about expectations and did extremely well with our prospects. When our guys came back up from the A, they were always prepared and improved.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Names I've seen thrown around that are presumably available (and some thoughts):
Pascal Vincent
Lane Lambert
Bruce Boudreau
Claude Julien - There's been talk of whether he's affordable for the Jets. I think coaching salaries have regressed a bit since Babcock's stint in Toronto.
Rick Tocchet
Rikard Grönborg - There's been talk about him coming to North America for what feels like a decade.
Dan Bylsma
James Patrick - Doubt he leaves a 20-1 Ice team even for the NHL, honestly.
If a change is happening soon, many names wont be available. They cant leave jobs mid season. So that rules out Vincent, Lambert,
Gronberg, Bylsma and Patrick.

Stay far away from Tocchet.

That leaves Boudreau and Julien.

Another name...David Quinn (formerly NYR). I would hire Boudreau.

Reactions: hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
James Patrick maybe (saw it in the other thread)

He would be interesting but I wonder if he has had enough head coaching experience. Hard to argue with his record for the ice the past three years and seems to ice high scoring and talented teams. I'd have to attend a few more Ice games to get an idea of his systems but from what I remember it is a fast tempo transition offensive style.

I do wonder if he would even leave during the season given his teams performance and Memorial Cup aspirations.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Well I’ll try again.

why not Patrick Roy

Way to much of a hot head. As much as I want a coach with a bit of kahonas on him to reel these guys in, we also need to build an environment people want to play in and actually be here. Dubois just left a team with a hot head coach. Roy was not well liked as a coach both by fans and players.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He would be interesting but I wonder if he has had enough head coaching experience. Hard to argue with his record for the ice the past three years and seems to ice high scoring and talented teams. I'd have to attend a few more Ice games to get an idea of his systems but from what I remember it is a fast tempo transition offensive style.

I do wonder if he would even leave during the season given his teams performance and Memorial Cup aspirations.

Can't see him abandoning his ship mid season and honestly I wouldn't want a coach that would be willing to do that, in the off season sure. Major difference between abandoning ship as an assistant or associate coach and a head coach. You don't leave the guys hanging in the middle of a historic season.

Reactions: surixon and weslox

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Well I’ll try again.

why not Patrick Roy

Roy has always been a winner as a player, and did well as a coach for the Avalanche. I'm sure he would light a fire under the Jets and have them in 1st place. I noticed a poster saying he was a hot head, and not well liked by the players or fans, so you do have to consider this.

Usually good coaches have learned how to be good coaches, so I would look to someone that's coached under Sullivan ( Tampa) or Barry Trotz, or from a winning organization. A guy that was hired that impressed me, and was always known as a very hard worker was the guy Carolina hired. Rod Brindamour I believe his name is. ( obviously great coach who gets a 100 % effort from players.)

I've also heard good things about Mike Keane, that he was a very hard working player, and he may be someone I'd talk too, and I'd also talk to James Partrick, as I'm reading good things about him. Both these guys may not be experienced enough ? but the major quality I'd look for is strength of character, and ability to motivate men.

If I was a GM -- I'd talk to Patrick Roy, and Bruce Boudreau, and then I'd also talk to new up and coming guys in successful organizations. I wouldn't really worry if Patrick Roy is well liked by the players, but I'd be more concerned if he was well "respected." I've heard Scotty Bowman was not well liked by players, but he certainly was well respected, and always got an all out effort from his hockey clubs, and won many Stanley Cups.

Note -- Paul Maurice is a well liked guy by players and fans, but is that the kind of guy we want -- well liked ?? I'd rather have "well respected." Some players slack off under "well liked" coaches, and don't really respect them.

I think I'd go with Patrick Roy -- I believe he's a winner.

Just remember that the most successful coaches in the NFL -- Bill Parcells and Bill Billichek are not well liked by the players, but their certainly well respected, and they will play hard for them. We don't need another Mr. Nice Guy.

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I think I'd go with Patrick Roy -- I believe he's a winner.

He coached three years in the NHL. His first year, the Avs had a great regular season but got knocked out in the first round. The next two years, the Avs didn’t qualify for the playoffs. He then left the franchise in a lurch by stepping down late in the offseason.

He’s not a winner. He’s a loser. Not surprised no NHL team has tapped his shoulder for any role in six years.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
well to lay out: paul maurice is the biggest loser of nhl coaches. most all time Ls in conjunction with the 3rd worst pts% of coaches w/ 1000 games. Commonly has terrible special teams (notably PK), this year seem to be an improvement in the shot/chance share, but he usually rates poor. if you're a young player with potential, and has shown glimpses of high upside unfortunately it'll take a vet (who probably is not as good) to get injured for you to get a larger role (see Scheifele, KC, Helle for example).

so basically, a coach that hold supposed vets/leaders accountable, can improve defensive systems and special teams. i think a guy with PO success/SC pedigree would be great. our guy has been coaching like 30 years and has the sniffed the SC once. oof.

a nice guy/communicator to me is secondary or tertiary.

idk who that is. nhl head coaching is fraternity. maybe there's a new guy out there (obviously the PO/SC pedigree if a new guy is considered).

Last edited:
Reactions: Eyeseeing and hn777
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad