New Arenas in the KHL-VHL-MHL Part II

ult

Sep 21, 2009
What is the capacity for the Samara arena? I was always surprised they were never in the running for a KHL considering they are one of the top 10 biggest cities in the country. Tolyatti is nearby but Samara is much bigger, even bigger than Sochi and many other KHL cities.

It's 5000 seats - New Arenas in the KHL-VHL-MHL Part II

So not enough for the KHL. As for why, it's all about the money. No big companies there to finance the team.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Better view on the UGMK Arena in Yekaterinburg. (12000)

3g8NvdGzncE.jpg

MFAY_EXT_6.jpg

Reactions: TommySalo and bagsw

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Meanwhile Novokuznetsk has decided to carry out a major renovation for the great Ice Palace of Kuznetskih Metallurgov. The renewal will cost ~$50M (3.2B rubles, but its dollar equivalent fluctuates daily), increase the arena's capacity from 7.5k to 10k and feature many improvement like Finnish-sized rink, new lighting system, halls, broadcasting area and so on. The team's new bosses believe it can help the franchise to make their way back to the K.

fb171d2c4987b3e9474ade42ba6adccb.jpg

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Saint Petersburg.

mQoex1xLCc0.jpg

kGxrfaNAwnY.jpg

EbqWg_uPBMo.jpg

6R8kCJWu0j8.jpg

Also the construction of the Omsk Arena has begun. So that makes it 4 KHL arenas are U/C right now. The cost of Omsk arena is 12 billion rubles ($174 mln), 5 billion of federal money, 6,3 bln by Gazprom, and 700 million by the Omsk region. It should be completed in the fall of 2022.

9cgoOhL.jpg

Last edited:

MaxHeadroom

Jun 12, 2020
Kassel
Great that there is so much progress. Are there any updates about the 20k-capacity CSKA arena in Moscow? Is that project still active or has it been scrapped as CSKA now owns VTB Ice Palace?

ult

Sep 21, 2009
When they rented the Park of Legends for 5 years in 2018, they said that they still have plans to build a new arena. No news since then. But I think they are fine with what they have now. When SKA moves to their new home it might reignite the talk about it, who knows.

MaxHeadroom

Jun 12, 2020
Kassel
When they rented the Park of Legends for 5 years in 2018, they said that they still have plans to build a new arena. No news since then. But I think they are fine with what they have now. When SKA moves to their new home it might reignite the talk about it, who knows.
Thanks. Yes, I guess, at he moment, it makes sense to stay at the Park of Legendes Arena as it's big enough for now. However, now that SKA builds a 20k+ arena, it would make sense to have an arena of similar capacity as well to keep track. SKA and CSKA are the only clubs that have the power to build and fill arenas of that size, so I hope that they will both get realised.

However, there is also the question what will become of Legends arena if CSKA leaves. Dynamo has already moved to VTB Arena, Spartak plans to rebuild Sokolniki (Any updates on that?), so if CSKA leaves, that would leave Legends Arena without a permanent tenant, I guess?

ult

Sep 21, 2009
I'm keeping an eye on Spartak plans, but so far it doesn't look very promising. The renders looked like nothing more than a facelift, it has the same investor as Park of Legends (now CSKA) arena - Corp TEN , so they would be competing with themselves, their deadlines were unrealistic (2020) and I don't think they even have the city's approval. And I wouldn't worry about Moscow's demand for concert venues.

Reactions: MaxHeadroom

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Gazprom will build the Ice Palace for 6500 seats in Tula, construction is expected to be finished in 2017. Capacity probably is not big enough for KHL (although Admiral somehow got away with that), but sounds like a pretty solid VHL-caliber arena.

e7bf61aee350.jpg

In over 4 years the Tula arena project has been reworked quite a bit and what has been constructed is a 3k seat arena (with a possibility to expand to 5k):

d59b7881-6d80-4b3a-ab57-af319986b295_1.jpg

Mikhailov Academy team from the NMHL (also known last season as AKM Novomoskovsk) is moving in there and apparently they are applying to play in the MHL next season.

Reactions: Rigafan and ult

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Here is a good video about the modernization of the current Sibir arena (the facade will be renovated as well) as well as construction of arenas in Novosibirsk and Omsk.

Reactions: TommySalo

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
In over 4 years the Tula arena project has been reworked quite a bit and what has been constructed is a 3k seat arena (with a possibility to expand to 5k):

d59b7881-6d80-4b3a-ab57-af319986b295_1.jpg

Mikhailov Academy team from the NMHL (also known last season as AKM Novomoskovsk) is moving in there and apparently they are applying to play in the MHL next season.
Nice to see it, another one small chance to have some talents from this region.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Yeah, it will open on August 18th. Though I doubt how it can increase the talent. More ice rinks in every part of Tula would help a bit more. MHL team doesn't mean local talent as well.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Yeah, it will open on August 18th. Though I doubt how it can increase the talent. More ice rinks in every part of Tula would help a bit more. MHL team doesn't mean local talent as well.

Mikhailov Academy is a hockey academy from Novomoskovsk, which is just an hour drive away from Tula. With them playing MHL games in Tula, it could increase the number of young kids from Tula wanting to play hockey there.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Just a quick question – why only 12,000? I feel like clubs and cities such as Yekaterinburg, Omsk, Novgorod and Novosibirsk would deserve more; at least 15k?

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Just a quick question – why only 12,000? I feel like clubs and cities such as Yekaterinburg, Omsk, Novgorod and Novosibirsk would deserve more; at least 15k?

Doesn't make sense to have arenas that large for those cities.

Novgorod isn't even able to sell out their tiny 5.600 arena right now. Tripling capacity isn't going to triple attendance. It will actually look worse because of how empty it will look. Sibir isn't even close to selling out their slightly larger arena. Omsk's attendance dropped off significantly the last two seasons to under 5.000 in their large arena, which they were consistently able to fill in previous years.

Yekatarinburg is just under capacity in their tiny 5.500 seat arena, but tripling their capacity won't triple their attendance. If they were well over capacity like SKA then a huge 15.000 seat arena would make sense. But they're not, so it would make sense to have a slightly smaller arena they can actually fill up and is to purpose rather than something oversized that will consistently be empty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad