New Arenas in the KHL-VHL-MHL Part II

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
GazpromNeft will finance it, more or less. The company is Avangard´s owner.

You can follow the construction at skyscrapercity.com, of course, that is just a forum, updates done by ordinary people from a region.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Nizhny Novgorod.

15554289631506189758.jpg

15554289701683143682.jpg

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Has the construction started? If not, do we know when it will? Looks wonderful. KHL will really get to another level with the completion of the new arenas in Novosibirsk, Ekaterinburg and Nizhny Novgorod. 2023 (or so) can't come soon enough.

EDIT: To answer my own question, apparently, it has not started yet but I assume it is not far, based on what I've read on Kommersant.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Yeah. It's gonna start soon. Some urbanists have opposed the idea of building a hockey arena in the area near the football stadium. Basically they got told that if it won't be built there then there is gonna be no arena at all. Recently they got the land. And now the project has been approved.

wx1080.jpg

There is a plan of developing that area around the church, and the hockey arena will take some space out of it.

inx960x640.jpg

Btw the church was built in 1881. And the whole area looked like this.

NvzpMEdMTdk.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TommySalo

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I will just add that the project of the Avto´s new arena will be approved soon. They plan to start building as soon as possible, likely this summer. The construction will take 2-2,5 years as said by Avto´s President.

The Arena in Novosibirsk got the approval as well.

SKA & Spartak will get new venues as well.

Of course, Avangard is on the list too.

Reactions: Rigafan

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Not today's news but I wanted to share some since there has not been much talk of it recently,

* Medvedev signed a decree on the building of a new arena in the city of Omsk (at the end of April, IIRC).

* Thus, there will be an allocation from the federal budget and Gazprom will not be the only financial backer of the project.

* Vladimir Tretyak claims the money is already in place and the arena might be up and running in just two years. All other estimates point to 2023 at the latest, when World Junior Championship is supposed to take place in Novosibirsk & Omsk.

On the other hand, Alexey Shevchenko says it has yet to be determined whether the current arena will be demolished... All in all, given the fact that the construction is supposed to start in 2020, the most optimistic estimation would probably be the beginning of 2022/23 season for Avangard to return home, unless the hordes of mighty gastarbeiter somehow build it extremely quickly.

No idea how KHL will do in general but hockey in Russia is supposed to be so damn good at around 2025 with pretty much every single major team having wonderful arenas.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
No idea how KHL will do in general but hockey in Russia is supposed to be so damn good at around 2025 with pretty much every single major team having wonderful arenas.

Until they get enough kids on ice before they are 5 or go back to Soviet style youth recruitment, all the 10,000 seat stadia in the world won’t help the Russian hockey program. And even if it did, that’s more like 2030 than 2025.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Novosibirsk, June 2019. They have cleared up the site and prepped the shore of the river to accommodate deliveries of the construction materials.

InfqnNt.jpg

Reactions: Marky1999

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Also this is how the old arena looked like a month ago. They stripping it of everything valuable.

e05946f22d78.jpg

dd04624fff83.jpg

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Maybe it's because of angle but it looks huge. Like a glorious spacecraft. Though it is different from the thing Krylov had on his t-shirt. I hope this guys from ABD architects are capable of building an arena that can last over 10 years. Four years without home is gonna be painful but at least we know that a project is underway now. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Gazprom just backed off and asked Avangard to find another solution. Not many companies would be willing to build two modern arenas in the span of less than 20 years for a city like Omsk.

On an unrelated note, is there any specific reason as to why Sibir is not backed like Avangard? I mean, Novosibirsk easily has the potential to become a juggernaut. I assume most people would prefer that city over Omsk to live. It's the Siberian capital and in love with hockey. While I can't complain with the support Avangard receives, I don't understand why Sibir are not given more love. Is it something political? Do they dislike my boys because they are commies?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
@hansomreiste

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Gazprom just backed off and asked Avangard to find another solution.
why Sibir is not backed like Avangard?

I will reply to both issues here.

You named Avangard´s boss Alexander Krylov. Why is he? He is the boss at GazpromNeft´s branch located in Omsk, Siberia. The new arena is co-financed by GazpromNeft not Gazprom. I do not think "GazpromNeft to back offf" for obvious reasons. As you know, GazpromNeft bought the KHL´s shares recently, they own Avangard, their boss Krylov is the KHL Board member. So, the company is heavily involved in hockey.

Why not love for Sibir? You replied to yourself. But using different words, they do not have their "Krylov." We would need to dig into history, at least to 90s to find more deeply answer to your question. But, generally, you replied it.

I do not go into Soviet times, justo start in 90s. Ak Bars, Salavat Yulaev, Magnitka, Avangard became big clubs in 90s, because their had a strong financial backing. Kazan & Ufa teams became symbols for Tatarstan & Bashkiria. Magnitka had a wealthy owner, MMK. Not sure if Avangard was sponsored by GazpromNeft at the time, but I would not be surprised.

You need money to become a strong team. The same story in the NHL. Clubs financed by billionaires. These clubs would mean nothing to the world of hockey without their money. The same in Russia. The United States and Russia are very similar in that aspect.

Reactions: hansomreiste

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
You need money to become a strong team. The same story in the NHL. Clubs financed by billionaires. These clubs would mean nothing to the world of hockey without their money. The same in Russia. The United States and Russia are very similar in that aspect.

If you leave out the little detail that the NHL is highly profitable while all KHL teams lose tons of money.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

Completely incorrect. NHL owners make money. Even if the team doesn’t, it is always profitable for the owners. KHL teams lose significant amounts of money every year and no model exists where it can change.

In addition, if you take away billionaire owners, NHL teams are still successful. The Leafs without Larry Tanenbaum are still the most popular team in Canada’s largest and wealthiest city. The Canadiens without Molson are still a team with one of the largest and most loyal fanbases in the league with the largest arena. The Bruins without Jacobs are still in one of America’s wealthiest regions and the center of a hockey hotbed. On the other hand, Florida owner Vincent Viola is worth $2.4 billion and the team has made playoffs once since he bought the team. Your assertion comparing the necessity of billionaire owners for NHL versus KHL success is completely incorrect.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Based on today's prices, how much would it approximately cost to watch the first official game in the new arena? Russia has had quite a lot of new arenas recently, so I guess there must be some prices somewhere... Under normal circumstances, it should not be a far-fetched idea to save enough money to visit Omsk for a couple of days and the arena opener in four full years but I fear tickets simply will not be available online. Any thoughts?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Based on today's prices, how much would it approximately cost to watch the first official game in the new arena? Russia has had quite a lot of new arenas recently, so I guess there must be some prices somewhere... Under normal circumstances, it should not be a far-fetched idea to save enough money to visit Omsk for a couple of days and the arena opener in four full years but I fear tickets simply will not be available online. Any thoughts?
I recommend you as Avangard fan to listen to Krylov´s interview. You can find it at their social media, it has more than two hours. He said very interesting news, his ideas, which he wants to make a reality in Avangard. And I am sure the league will implement them for all clubs later if the ideas succeed in Avangard.

Btw, does anybody have an idea how they want to make VIP sector? And what did he exactly mean? Krylov said that there is no venue in the world having it in that form. Btw, Mercedes Benz Arena in Berlin, among others, was an inspiration for new Omsk Arena. Krylov visited that arena personally.

Btw, he said interesting news about European expansion. It is clear what he supports as the KHL Board Member.
Regarding tickets. I do not think it will be much more expensive than now in Balashika (the most expensive is 800 rubles).

E: Now looking at Dynamo Moscow, their most expensive tickets are 1100, 1800 or 2500 rubles, depends on the opponent. I can imagine very similar pricing at new Omsk arena.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Here are words of Krylov about VIP/skybox section. If I get it, they want to create 4 VIP/skyboxes right next to/behind boards. I guess in the middle section of the arena. Of course, that VIP would be separated from other sections of the arena. So, VIP guys would not sit next to ordinary fans.

Мы хотим сделать четыре ложи за стеклом внизу.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017

Since sport in Russia is a political (and not commercial) enterprise, I would assume tickets to cost about the same.

Getting them via championat.com seems reasonable, but a lot can happen in 4 years.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Found some interesting stats for the number of indoor ice rinks in Ural regions.

Numbers per year.

IaBjclxSdGY.jpg

Per region. The columns are: Number of rinks, Population in thousands, rinks per 1 mln people, Thousands of people per rink.

Y0G_amO7xBY.jpg

As of 2018 there were 560 indoor ice rinks in Russia.

79 уральских дворцов

Last edited:
Reactions: Rigafan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->