Online Series: NETFLIX (The General All Things Netflix Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
re: Midnight Mass. On E4. Enjoying it. Have to say, one of the best musical scores I can remember. Pitch perfect in matching with the mood of the scenes and episodes they're played in.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Midnight Mass has actually been my least favorite of the Flanagan vehicles on Netflix. I caged to it being a vampire flick pretty early and the dialog isn't doing anything for me at this point. It's good enough I'll keep watching, but...eh.

Reactions: mmalady

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I gave up on Shadow and Bone a few months ago or whenever it was first released and came back to it recently and finished it up. It's a fantasy show directed at teens but I enjoyed it. But then again I'll give pretty much anything fantasy or classical history a watch.

Apparently it's getting a season 2 so should be interesting. It had a mix of world building and character driven story so it will be interesting to see where they take things in season 2. Assuming there's books I'm guessing book readers would have a better understanding of the world like having read LOTR before the movies or Harry Potter before the movies. But for me the world was at times confusing with many factions being introduced implying a complex world without exploring it at all in season 1.

The last fantasy show I had watched before that was Emerald City on prime, a different take on the Oz Universe (Alice in Wonderland) that I thought was pretty interesting but did not get a renewal from wherever it originated from. At least Shadow and Bone will get a season 2.

Also I gave the League of Legends TV show a go on Netflix and it wasn't that bad. I'm not an anime watcher personally and still won't be. For whatever reason I need "real" people on screen acting stuff out with few exceptions like The Simpsons or Archer - comedies/parodies essentially.

But as someone who played a lot of League of Legends through college in late 2009 and early 2010s, this feels like one of those few shows based on a video game where it's extremely well done. I thought it was an insane idea, that it wouldn't work and I was wrong. I've bought in now. I'll likely wait for it to air all the episodes before finishing up but I watch the first 2-3 and it was good.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Leave it to Ryan Reynnolds Ryan Reynolds Gets Egyptian Egg From Red Notice Valued On Antiques Roadshow

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-images.ladbible.com%2Fs3%2Fcontent%2Ff0684e306192367a938c2a6dd5d9735f.png

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I watched Season 2 of Tiger King. Well, I mostly listened to it while I did something else. It isn't nearly as good as Season 1... not that Season 1 was "good," but it was so bonkers that you had to watch. Season 2 isn't bonkers at all. It also has barely any Joe or tigers, since Joe is in jail and the tigers were all confiscated. It mostly follows the people on the outside as they deal with notoriety and their feelings about Joe being in jail, perhaps unjustly. It does have a bit of a surprising ending, but nothing earth shattering. I'll spoil it below if you're curious but not interested enough to watch. Overall, not much happens. If it were a work of fiction, you'd say that it has no plot. On the other hand, it's less mean spirited and only 5 episodes. If you want something to put on and listen to while doing something else, it's an option, but you could also easily skip it.
All of the people who helped put Joe in jail--even Jeff Lowe and Allen, the "hitman"--sign affidavits admitting to a plot to incriminate Joe. Those affidavits are going to be used to try to get a new trial for Joe. Basically, the season ends on the strange note of most of the people who hated Joe and wanted him to go to jail coming together to help get him out of jail. If/when he gets a new trial, that'll probably be Season 3.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I watched Season 2 of Tiger King. Well, I mostly listened to it while I did something else. It isn't nearly as good as Season 1... not that Season 1 was "good," but it was so bonkers that you had to watch. Season 2 isn't bonkers at all. It also has barely any Joe or tigers, since Joe is in jail and the tigers were all confiscated. It mostly follows the people on the outside as they deal with notoriety and their feelings about Joe being in jail, perhaps unjustly. It does have a bit of a surprising ending, but nothing earth shattering. I'll spoil it below if you're curious but not interested enough to watch. Overall, not much happens. If it were a work of fiction, you'd say that it has no plot. On the other hand, it's less mean spirited and only 5 episodes. If you want something to put on and listen to while doing something else, it's an option, but you could also easily skip it.
All of the people who helped put Joe in jail--even Jeff Lowe and Allen, the "hitman"--sign affidavits admitting to a plot to incriminate Joe. Those affidavits are going to be used to try to get a new trial for Joe. Basically, the season ends on the strange note of most of the people who hated Joe and wanted him to go to jail coming together to help get him out of jail. If/when he gets a new trial, that'll probably be Season 3.

You know I thought it was decent because it dealt with more facts and what happened after than a bunch of Joe nonsense. It was quite comical to me how he reacted to all the fame everyone was enjoying while he sat in prison. I liked the follow-up investigation on Carol's husband as well as pretty much everyone changing their tune on Joe.

I don't think Joe will get out because he still has all the animal charges. Pretty much everyone on the show is guilty of perjury. The other thing that came out, Carol definitely at the very least falsified a Will and POA after her husband disappeared. The events the night he disappeared are extremely odd She was seen walking in the middle of the night, claimed she was walking home from the store like 3+ miles away? There is something more there. Also the plot to kill Joe with the barb wire, I believe it and it's crazy [\Spoiler]

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The hype around Hellbound is fully justified. In my book. I'm halfway through and will watch the rest today. Intense, gripping and original horror.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Finished Downton Abbey a couple of weeks ago and also watched the movie. Really well done show, well acted, great character development and Maggie Smith gets funnier the longer the show goes on. Looking forward to the new movie. Also surprised that only Edith's and Andy's actors hooked up and got married. I expected more. :laugh:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Super late, but I recently finished Netflix's version of A Series of Unfortunate Events and thought it was brilliant. It isn't the best show and some episodes got dull, but it was absolutely cast to perfection and the dialogue has to be in top 5% of any show or even entertainment. I was wondering what other people's thoughts are on it?

Reactions: Satans Hockey

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Super late, but I recently finished Netflix's version of A Series of Unfortunate Events and thought it was brilliant. It isn't the best show and some episodes got dull, but it was absolutely cast to perfection and the dialogue has to be in top 5% of any show or even entertainment. I was wondering what other people's thoughts are on it?

Yeah I thought it was great. Count Olaf is just a great villain, and love seeing the twins in there who are local indy celebs in the Vancouver film industry. Never saw the Jim Carey movie but can't see him being a better Count Olaf than Neil Patrick Harris was here.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah I thought it was great. Count Olaf is just a great villain, and love seeing the twins in there who are local indy celebs in the Vancouver film industry. Never saw the Jim Carey movie but can't see him being a better Count Olaf than Neil Patrick Harris was here.
I haven't really known about the books or movie until I did some background research after finish the series. I think a show is the best segment considering you have what...thirteen to fourteen books? Not sure how they were able to fit all of that into one singular movie except if they chose one book's story to work on. Whatever the case, you are right that Harris was bloody fantastic, but as I said in my original post, I thought every single character was excellently matched.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Actually noticed here in Canada, The Never Ending Story is on. the first fantasy movie I loved, I was 8 when it came out so going to watch it with my 7 and 9 year old nephew and niece today I think.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Actually noticed here in Canada, The Never Ending Story is on. the first fantasy movie I loved, I was 8 when it came out so going to watch it with my 7 and 9 year old nephew and niece today I think.

I was about the same age when our family got our first VCR and our first movie rental came down to either the one with a kid riding a big, furry creature on the cover or the one with some dude with a hat and whip. I made the choice that I want to believe that any naïve 8 year old would've made. I loved it for years afterward, but, in retrospect, I definitely made the wrong call. :laugh:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Finished Downton Abbey a couple of weeks ago and also watched the movie. Really well done show, well acted, great character development and Maggie Smith gets funnier the longer the show goes on. Looking forward to the new movie. Also surprised that only Edith's and Andy's actors hooked up and got married. I expected more. :laugh:

You may enjoy Gosford Park. IMO a great film that preceded Downton Abbey. Smith plays a similar role to that in Downton Abbey as I understand it (I haven't seen Downton Abbey yet, but would like to soon).

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Binged Ricky Gervais’ After Life yesterday. I really enjoyed the series I think they did a good job of balancing the comedy with the drama.

Reactions: thinkblue

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

I haven't really known about the books or movie until I did some background research after finish the series. I think a show is the best segment considering you have what...thirteen to fourteen books? Not sure how they were able to fit all of that into one singular movie except if they chose one book's story to work on. Whatever the case, you are right that Harris was bloody fantastic, but as I said in my original post, I thought every single character was excellently matched.

I actually liked the Jim Carey movie a lot and was disappointed they never continued the series like originally planned. Harris was also perfect casting too. They play the part both very well even if their takes are different on it. Honestly if you enjoyed the TV series the movie is worth checking out.

I believe the movie only covers the first 3 books and the plan was to have it be a multiple movie series covering the rest of the books. With the popularity of Harry Potter every studio was looking to find their version of it at the time and while the Carey movie was good it just didn't take off like they were hoping.

I think the 1st season of the TV series covers the first 4 books, thankfully they were able to keep the series going long enough to cover all the books. I've never read the books so I can't say if the movie or Netflix series is more true to the original stories though I'd assume Netflix is since they had more time to cover everything. Honestly don't remember anything about the movie details wise besides remembering I enjoyed it and Carey's performance because it was so long ago.

Last edited:

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
It's been a while since I've rewatched it, but I had the pleasure of viewing They Live on Netflix Canada the other day. The effects and score are a bit dated, but it's still a solid movie.

Now if some streaming service in Canada would pick up the rights to Fringe, I'd be happy...

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's been a while since I've rewatched it, but I had the pleasure of viewing They Live on Netflix Canada the other day. The effects and score are a bit dated, but it's still a solid movie.

Now if some streaming service in Canada would pick up the rights to Fringe, I'd be happy...

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad