Online Series: NETFLIX (The General All Things Netflix Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
What is Netflix's obsession with making ****ty high-school/teen movies and TV? There's another one now (Sierra Burgess is a loser).

Make a ****ing Manchester By The Sea type film like Amazon Prime did you have the budget stop making niche bull****.
Their obessession with them is that there are millions of teenage girls LOVING those movies and they are extremely cheap and easy to make. They will continue to be pumped out.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
That's Sally Draper (Mad Men). She was actually really good as an actor, especially compared to the Bobby's on the show, lol.

Yeah the Sabrina reboot should be her next big break after Mad Men. Fantastic actress whom I wouldn't be surprised to have a couple Emmy/Oscar nominations before she's 30.

If you can get through the first 6 or so episodes, Bojack Horseman is probably the best show running right now. Seasons 2-4 were genuinely amazing.

It's totally one of the best shows on TV. Even season one which starts off slow I think if you rewatch is still up there with the last three seasons.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Probably not big enough to warrant it's own thread, but I thoroughly enjoy Atypical. I'm not sure there's another "family-style comedy/drama" show out there right now that has the character layers that this show was able to build in two seasons.

The sister, Casey, is probably one of my favorite characters on TV right now behind right behind Van in Atlanta.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I have to start by saying I like netflix I love having control of when, what, how I watch things.

What I'm realizing now though is the next day water cooler talk is dying if not dead. So hard to talk about a show now. Everyone is at different points. If you binge watch you forget which episode things happened and you don't want to talk about the show just in case you ruin it for someone. By the time everyone is caught up, some people have to rewatch to remember.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Probably not big enough to warrant it's own thread, but I thoroughly enjoy Atypical. I'm not sure there's another "family-style comedy/drama" show out there right now that has the character layers that this show was able to build in two seasons.

The sister, Casey, is probably one of my favorite characters on TV right now behind right behind Van in Atlanta.

I've been watching the second season too. It has a lot of heart.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I have to start by saying I like netflix I love having control of when, what, how I watch things.

What I'm realizing now though is the next day water cooler talk is dying if not dead. So hard to talk about a show now. Everyone is at different points. If you binge watch you forget which episode things happened and you don't want to talk about the show just in case you ruin it for someone. By the time everyone is caught up, some people have to rewatch to remember.

While it's fun to binge watch, I agree. I think its a more enjoyable experience when everyone is watching along and there's time for discussion in between episodes.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Paradise PD is kind of funny. It has the girl from Scrubs, the guy from Aqua Teen Hunger and another from Reno 911 doing the voices. It's kind of over the top raunchy, especially Sarah Chalke's character but it does make me laugh.

Reactions: DaveG

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Looks like Maniac (Jonah Hill, Emma Stone) is getting mixed reviews. Critics either think it's great or really meh. Comes out today; I think I'll give the first episode a shot.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
End of Maniac episode 2

Knew it was coming because it was so heavily foreshadowed. Still hurt. That's enough for me for this show tonight.

Still not sure if this show will end up trying to be too smart or too much of a mind-f*** for its own good

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Watch the four part comedy special called Repertoire by young British comedian James Acaster (they're ~50ish minutes long each but I watched them over 10-20 minute chunks over multiple weeks). Really good, he's got a bit of a Monty Python absurdist vibe going, I also want to hug him lol he's a lovable weirdo.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Maniac, halfway through episode 5...

The way Emma Stone disappeared when the doctor separated her from Jonah Hill is exactly the way the imaginary brother has been disappearing....

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Land of Steady Habits is one of the better American movies released so far this year with a great performance by the always interesting Ben Mendelsohn as a man who can't help making his mid-life crisis worse. Droll and dark and funny.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I started watching The Good Cop. It's not good. Josh Groban is terrible. Everything is forced. He has no chemistry with the rest of the cast. It's uncomfortably bad. If that's what the showrunners were going for it's a job well done. But I am pretty sure they weren't. It's too bad because the show has promise.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

I discovered Atypical a couple weeks ago and just finished both seasons that are on Netflix.

It's a good show with a realistic depiction of autism and the effects it has on families. It's also hilarious at points Zaheed is amazing.

Reactions: silverfish

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Watching Maniac right now.

I'm through 2 episodes and it's hit me hard in the feels.

Really liking this so far. It's got this level of complete mystery to it so far combined with some strong character development already that's leaving me hooked on the show.

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The Norm McDonald show is so 3rd rate the 3rd guest is Judge Judy. The tiny desk looks it cost $99.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad