Online Series: NETFLIX (The General All Things Netflix Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I liked S1 better.

I'd probably agree, but I think season 2 was really good as well. I'm really impressed that they were able to pull it off again, after knowing the format going in. I thought it worked well. I think it's a really hard show to pull off and they did it.

Reactions: Natey

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Norsemen is pretty funny. It's all in English in case anyone was wondering despite most if not all of the actors being from Nordic countries(?)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Anybody watch The Haunting of Hill House yet?

Looks quite interesting and the reviews so far have been strong. Psychological Horror is one of my favorite genres, curious to how this one will end up. I'll probably start it over the weekend.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Norsemen is pretty funny. It's all in English in case anyone was wondering despite most if not all of the actors being from Nordic countries(?)

Oh shit thanks for this recommendation. Their piece of shit algorithm NEVER recommended that to me even though the only TV shows I watch on there are comedies.

Anyways, I'm cancelling this month, ran through most of my movie watchlist and not many good movies to see on there. I find that whenever I subscribe to Netflix, I end up sitting through mediocre movies compared to when I just use pirating or streams where I only go after good movies.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased

Looks quite interesting and the reviews so far have been strong. Psychological Horror is one of my favorite genres, curious to how this one will end up. I'll probably start it over the weekend.

First four episodes are top notch imo, and the ender to 4 looks like the springboard to a great second act

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I started watching The Good Cop. It's not good. Josh Groban is terrible. Everything is forced. He has no chemistry with the rest of the cast. It's uncomfortably bad. If that's what the showrunners were going for it's a job well done. But I am pretty sure they weren't. It's too bad because the show has promise.

It's 100% the feel they were going for. He's supposed to be like that, there's literally a line in the first episode that says no one wants to work with him because he's like that.

It's not a "smart" cop show, but it's mildly entertaining and I'm sure there's lots of Tony Danza fans still around (my parents definitely are).

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Loving this show so far - I'm three episodes in and am hooked. Between this show, Hereditary, and A Quiet Place, the horror/thriller genre has had an amazing year. It's starting to look like it'll be the next popular genre of film/TV going forward.

I'm only 3 episodes in, but I really like how none of the characters are legitimately crazy or are seeing things. They've all been through a lot of stress and trauma, but all of them are believable and aren't just crazy/possessed which is nice. Excited to see how the youngest daughter and son's story unfolds, as well as the mother. I really love the jump between past and present, it's done very well and they got a good cast.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
It's 100% the feel they were going for. He's supposed to be like that, there's literally a line in the first episode that says no one wants to work with him because he's like that.

It's not a "smart" cop show, but it's mildly entertaining and I'm sure there's lots of Tony Danza fans still around (my parents definitely are).
Danza isn't in it enough to keep my interest.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I just finished the first episode.

Holy **** what a way to start.

7 episodes in now. I easily could have binged the full series today if not for hockey tonight. Unbelievable series so far and based on reviews it only continues to get better from here.

It's a Horror genre and while no doubt it has some scary moments for sure, it provides so much more value then just the jump scare factor associated with most horrors. The psychological build up and deep dive into the entire family is pretty fantastic. Some remarkable character development going on which only adds to the suspenseful parts further.

I have no idea how its going to end and that might be what's most frightening about the show to this point. Brilliant writing, brilliant acting.

Reactions: Bourque7799

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Just finished "The Haunting of Hill House". I really liked it and thought the union of past and present worked really well. It's nice how it all comes together in the end and makes sense. Wish it has a few more scares, but the whole thing works. 8/10

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
It's a Horror genre and while no doubt it has some scary moments for sure, it provides so much more value then just the jump scare factor associated with most horrors. The psychological build up and deep dive into the entire family is pretty fantastic. Some remarkable character development going on which only adds to the suspenseful parts further.

I have no idea how its going to end and that might be what's most frightening about the show to this point. Brilliant writing, brilliant acting.

I just finished episode 8 and agree whole heartedly with everything you’ve said.

I don’t have much use for horror, but this show has some great development going on for most of the main cast.

Shirley can f*** off, though. She’s a brick.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
watching a show on El Chapo, just started season 2, dude's crazy but the story is interesting. Thought I would watch it before the new season of Narcos started in a few weeks.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I find myself watching more foreign stuff on Netflix these days. I watched La Nina and really enjoyed it despite the winding plot that lasted 86 episodes and some of the cheesiness (where there was cheesiness).

Apparently FX might be developing a version of it for the US market so I'll try to check that out. They got the writer from The Americans on it so I have hope.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I watched The Resistance Banker, it's a Dutch movie about the life of Walraven van Hall and how he helped the resistance fight the Germans in WWII. Good movie.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Watched "The Sinner" this weekend, eight episodes only 45 minutes each so it was easy to breeze through. Jessica Biel and Bill Pullman are pretty good and story is interesting

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I binged The Haunting of Hill House this weekend. I've never been into the genre but this isn't the typical cheap horror. I thought ep 6 was incredibly well done. Those long takes and camera work were fantastic.

Reactions: Tuggy

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I watched "Outlaw King" over the weekend and thought it was rather mediocre. I've never really been a fan Chris Pine though.

Interesting that there's supposedly another Robert the Bruce movie in the works (although I don't think on Netflix) with the actor who played him in Braveheart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad