Online Series: NETFLIX (The General All Things Netflix Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Last Kingdom Season 3 is up.

If you have any interest in Saxons and Danes and Alfred the Great, it’s good.

Based around real historical events but lots of swords and stabbing and such.

Reactions: brokenhole

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So glad when I opened up Netflix yesterday to see season three of Last Kingdom was available. Amazing show that does a good job with the historical context and using characters strongly based on real people and real events.

Historical characters on the show

• Æthelflæd - Alfred's eldest daughter, Lady of the Mercians.
  • Ubba Lothbroksson - Danish warlord feared by many, older brother to Ivar and Halfdan
  • Ivar Lothbroksson (Ivar the Boneless) - Danish warlord feared by many, brother to Ubba and Halfdan
  • Ælswith - Alfred's wife who dislikes Uhtred
  • Æthelwold - Alfred's nephew and friend of Uhtred
The main character Uthred of Bebbanburg is based on Uthred the Bold who was from a century later (11th vs 9th the show is based in)

I like the show so much I have the series of books by Bernard Cornwell on my must read list.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Just discovered "Travelers". I'm about 4 Ep's in and it's definitely keeping my attention so far.

Great, great show. You're going to love it.

Months old, but just saw this. Not sure if either of you are Stargate fans, but Travelers is very stargate esque. From actors, to writers, to small team dynamic, to each roles inside the team, to each team members problems, it is very Stargate esque. It makes sense since the show runners are the same. Basically saying if you enjoy Travelers you should try out Stargate. Albeit you have to suffer through the first season as it's mostly garbage but then it improves with regard to Stargate SG-1 haha. Unfortuntately not on Netflix though.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm a fan of BBC detective shows and I think Shetland is the best detective series that I have seen since Luther. Great location and atmosphere, great depth of character, very well acted.

Reactions: Winger98

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm a fan of BBC detective shows and I think Shetland is the best detective series that I have seen since Luther. Great location and atmosphere, great depth of character, very well acted.

Shetland is good, I watch many of those BBC detective shows, Endeavor is my favorite, but Morse, Lewis are right there. Jack Taylor is really good as well (haven't heard if that's done or not), Wallander was pretty good. I really liked River as well.

Reactions: kihei

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009

Holy f*** someone finally did it!

22+ years later, someone, Netflix, has gotten the streaming rights to Evangelion.

A whole new generation of Eva fans will be born from this. Let the mind f***ery begin!

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Wouldn't work anymore in the internet era since people would just pirate it, but they should wait a year and a half before putting up End of Evangelion just to replicate the shitstorm.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Shetland is good, I watch many of those BBC detective shows, Endeavor is my favorite, but Morse, Lewis are right there. Jack Taylor is really good as well (haven't heard if that's done or not), Wallander was pretty good. I really liked River as well.
I agree that all of these are terrific, and I'd throw in Vera, The Young Montalbano, and Montalbono (the latter two are Italian series and my absolute favourites). I have the feeling, given are seeming similarity of taste about this stuff, that you might really enjoy The Worricker Trilogy with Bill Nighy playing a former M15 intelligence analyst. The trilogy consists of three feature length movies with feature length production values. Nighy has a field day with a role perfectly designed for his amusingly acerbic line deliveries.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
In Canada they put up the second season of Frontier. We get it later here in Netflix because it runs on the Discovery Channel I believe before on a weekly basis.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I agree that all of these are terrific, and I'd throw in Vera, The Young Montalbano, and Montalbono (the latter two are Italian series and my absolute favourites). I have the feeling, given are seeming similarity of taste about this stuff, that you might really enjoy The Worricker Trilogy with Bill Nighy playing a former M15 intelligence analyst. The trilogy consists of three feature length movies with feature length production values. Nighy has a field day with a role perfectly designed for his amusingly acerbic line deliveries.

I liked the Worricker Trilogy a lot, saw it on PBS, missed a little of the 1st part and have been waiting to see it again.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yep not sure how well that will go over...likely not well, now that they are losing all Disney content on top of it.

The warning signs are there for Netflix. They have been very quick to cancel shows and their decision not to pay for the Star Trek Short Trek shots and only wanting to do 6 episodes of Iron Fist and Luke Cage might signal that they are going into the red. While they are buying more product--the products are a lot cheaper then the product they are replacing

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Teo interesting Netflix headlines I've come across the past couple of days:

One their Kurt Russell Christmas movie is doing crazy business:

Netflix’s ‘Christmas Chronicles’ Breaks 20 Million Streams in One Week

Second and the more interesting one is they are apparently paying about $80 million to extend streaming rights for Friends for another year.

'Friends': Inside Netflix and WarnerMedia's New $80M Streaming Deal

That Friends number is insane. A show that's been off the air can command more in streaming rights than all but a handful of current shows generate in revenue in a year.

Even the Christmas movie story is impressive and shows the dominance of streaming services right now. It'll be interesting where things stand a year or two from now once Disney and other players enter the space to see what survives.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Wouldn't work anymore in the internet era since people would just pirate it, but they should wait a year and a half before putting up End of Evangelion just to replicate the ****storm.

Man I remember watching it on Finnish about 15ish years ago and towards the end I had no idea what the hell was going on. :laugh: THe msot confusing animated show I've ever watched. Before that I thought Ulysses 31 was weird in it's version of the classic story.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
On topic, anyone watched The Final Table? Borrows quite heavily from Masterchef and probably other cooking shows, but the competing teams are all professionals. VEry high production values after watching episode 1.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Second and the more interesting one is they are apparently paying about $80 million to extend streaming rights for Friends for another year.

'Friends': Inside Netflix and WarnerMedia's New $80M Streaming Deal

That Friends number is insane. A show that's been off the air can command more in streaming rights than all but a handful of current shows generate in revenue in a year.

I have three nieces who all went crazy for Friends.

They binge watched the whole thing multiple times.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
anybody use cravetv or hbo canada? read/heard its better than netflix. more choices. 13.99 u.s/month

Say Hey Kid

The best all around player ever
Dec 10, 2007
Good films on Netflix are: 45 Years, The Ballad of Lester Scruggs, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, In Bruges, and No Country for Old Men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->