Waived: Nestrasil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yeah, Andersson's great positioning all the time doesn't wow anybody. You can also be effective hockey player without wow-things. But he is doing right things defensively. Miller is kind of same.

Who would fit better to that 4th line than Andersson, and at same time, it would not be off and weaken the TOP3 lines? You want Cleary there?

If we're healthy, people are going to be shifted out of that top9. And they should be. As it is, Babcock treats the Glendening line like a second line, giving them a lot of minutes where we're happy they just break even. They are often trapped in our zone, Andersson & Miller don't bring any physicality, and they aren't any sort of consistent threat to get into the offensive zone, let alone find the back of the net on occasion.

If we're healthy, Datsyuk will be taking one of those top9 spots, and Weiss should get a long look at another. I'd roll something like:

Franzen-Z-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Abdelkader
Datsyuk-Weiss-Jurco
Miller-Helm-Glendening

With Khan talking about Mantha likely getting called up if he plays well in GR, I'd slide Mantha then into Gator's spot, and put Gator where Miller is. I'm also not against having Weiss center the fourth line line between Helm and Glendening, and letting Datsyuk center Mantha and Jurco, while leaving Gator where he is.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
You guys think Andersson's still improving during the season? At times I'm not really sure about that and there's still some(/much) room for improvement - who would have guessed that.

What concerns Nesty: I get both pov's on that. He wasn't that bad and I liked him in the one or the other game, but he simply didn't make an impact that forces you to let him stay on the rooster - especially as he was benched lately.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
You guys think Andersson's still improving during the season? At times I'm not really sure about that and there's still some(/much) room for improvement - who would have guessed that.

What concerns Nesty: I get both pov's on that. He wasn't that bad and I liked him in the one or the other game, but he simply didn't make an impact that forces you to let him stay on the rooster - especially as he was benched lately.

Nope.

And the problem with Nesty not making much of an impact is roughly what's wrong with good chunk of our bottom9. We have guys who aren't actively hurting us, like we have in past years, but they also aren't setting the world on fire, either. We're sending at least two lines over the boards right now - Glendening's and Helm's - where we're largely happy if we aren't scored on.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If we're healthy, people are going to be shifted out of that top9. And they should be. As it is, Babcock treats the Glendening line like a second line, giving them a lot of minutes where we're happy they just break even. They are often trapped in our zone, Andersson & Miller don't bring any physicality, and they aren't any sort of consistent threat to get into the offensive zone, let alone find the back of the net on occasion.

If we're healthy, Datsyuk will be taking one of those top9 spots, and Weiss should get a long look at another. I'd roll something like:

Franzen-Z-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Abdelkader
Datsyuk-Weiss-Jurco
Miller-Helm-Glendening

With Khan talking about Mantha likely getting called up if he plays well in GR, I'd slide Mantha then into Gator's spot, and put Gator where Miller is. I'm also not against having Weiss center the fourth line line between Helm and Glendening, and letting Datsyuk center Mantha and Jurco, while leaving Gator where he is.

The odds of all those players being healthy at the same time is so low, I can't even imagine ever seeing those types of lines.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The odds of all those players being healthy at the same time is so low, I can't even imagine ever seeing those types of lines.

I know. What sorta kills us is that guys get hurt, but not hurt enough to go on IR and force a call-up, so we just trundle along playing guys we hope to just not lose with. If Datsyuk goes down like this, I'd almost rather just commit him to IR for a couple of weeks, and call up Pulkkinen instead of putting Cleary out there.

But then I'd also rather have put Nestrasil out there than Cleary.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I know. What sorta kills us is that guys get hurt, but not hurt enough to go on IR and force a call-up, so we just trundle along playing guys we hope to just not lose with. If Datsyuk goes down like this, I'd almost rather just commit him to IR for a couple of weeks, and call up Pulkkinen instead of putting Cleary out there.

But then I'd also rather have put Nestrasil out there than Cleary.

Agree with your sentiments on the bottom 9, specifically Helm and Glendening's line. It's a bit of a different strategy than we're used to.

I like Glendening and his line a lot, but I think at times they are just deployed too much. Cleary-Helm-Jurco is an odd line, not really sure what the hell it's identity is supposed to be.

They are getting good results, so I can't be mad, but I hope we pack a little more punch closer to the end of the year. Hopefully one of Mantha or Pulkkinen can work their way onto the team.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA

I think Andersson looks alot better this year. At least he's making less mistakes. Still nothing special, but I do think he's improving. (slightly)

Last edited:

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I think Andersson looks alot better this year. At least he's making less mistakes. Still nothing special, but I do think he's improving. (slightly)

He has no offensive skills whatsoever, but he's been solid defensively and along the boards.

PureDust

Oct 28, 2013
SoCal
With people getting healthy and how holland works the roster there was just no room, in regards to the lineup I would be beyond satisfied with...

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Franzen
Abdelkader-Datsyuk-Mantha/Jurco
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco/Pulkkinen
Miller-Glendening-Andersson

This making Helm expendable as an asset, interested to see if Helm+Kindl+Prospect/Pick(or both) could get in return. Then run

Kronwall-Ericsson
Dekeyser-Aquired D/Smith
Quincey/Smith/XO

Howard
Mrazek

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Andersson is as important part of the shut-down 4th line as is Glendening and Miller. Also big factor on one of the league best penalty-kill units.

Won't understand this Andersson hate, but hey, maybe we need new scapegoats because the old ones havd been beaten to death. :)

Because I truly believe it's Glendening and Miller that make it the shutdown line. Andersson is along for the ride.

The guy was an injury call up like 3 years ago that hasn't provided much at all. He's slower than molasses, no offensive skill. I think of him as the same level as Cory Emmerton.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I do agree Andersson isn't doing much for that line, but he is defensively responsible enough to where I can live with him there until we find a suitable replacement for that role.

Why don't you see many tough guys who are also known for being really sound defensively? That would be perfect.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Because I truly believe it's Glendening and Miller that make it the shutdown line. Andersson is along for the ride.

The guy was an injury call up like 3 years ago that hasn't provided much at all. He's slower than molasses, no offensive skill. I think of him as the same level as Cory Emmerton.

He's not the fastest guy on the team, but he is faster than Nestrasil and his skating has improved.... a lot.

He does have little offensive skill and he's also scored more goals (as a rookie) in the NHL than Nestrasil has in the same number of game. Andersson had 3 goals and 6 points in his first 10 NHL games. Nesty has 2 points despite getting some PP time.

That's a small sample size, however. Lets look at the Grand Rapids Griffins.

3nd year pro for the respective players

Nesty = 16 goals and 36 points
Andy = 21 goals and 51 points

Looking at both players career record, looks like Andersson is the superior player... while both pretty much are insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Out of:
Andersson
Nestrasil
Callahan
Farrero

Only Andersson is worth keeping as he is the only player that brings an important element to the table; he's a part of DRWs superior penalty kill and shut down line. His salary is under $800k. He's perfect for his role even if he doesn't score any goals.. but I'm sure he will score more than Glendening before the year is over.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
andersson is one of the slowest guy on the team. i think he makes solid case for the slowest F. nestrasil seemed no slower than him.

andersson got to play with much better linemates and more pp time for most of his 3rd AHL season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Andersson was also a large part of our PK last year that was ranked 12th and then got its lunch handed to it by Boston.

Actual Thought*

Agree with your sentiments on the bottom 9, specifically Helm and Glendening's line. It's a bit of a different strategy than we're used to.

I like Glendening and his line a lot, but I think at times they are just deployed too much. Cleary-Helm-Jurco is an odd line, not really sure what the hell it's identity is supposed to be.

They are getting good results, so I can't be mad, but I hope we pack a little more punch closer to the end of the year. Hopefully one of Mantha or Pulkkinen can work their way onto the team.
They are often deployed to shut down the other team's top line. Top lines play a lot of minutes. I love what this line brings. They free up our top lines and give them much better matchups. They make us way deeper.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
You guys think Andersson's still improving during the season?

I've never paid much attention to Andersson until recently, except for always noticing how terribly slow he is.

The reason I started noticing him more is because he's made some awful turnovers in the defensive zone, continued to not be able to keep up with the pace on neutral ice and has occasionally looked lost defensively.

Maybe I'm expecting too much out of a fourth liner here, but I'm not sure he should be on this roster.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
andersson is one of the slowest guy on the team. i think he makes solid case for the slowest F. nestrasil seemed no slower than him.

Probably a tie between Andy and Miller, both are faster than Nesty. Andersson's has looked much improved this season. Of course it should, he said he's worked on his skating over the summer. Looks like it is paying off... he's certainly not a liability out there because of it. His skating is fine.

I think some people are still stuck in the 2013 season.

andersson got to play with much better linemates and more pp time for most of his 3rd AHL season.

Seems like Nesty had some pretty good line-mates in the NHL and was even gifted 2nd unit PP play time and still didn't do ****.

That said, I'd been fine waiving Andy over Nesty, but at least Andy brings something intangible to the team. Wings have what, the 2nd best PK in the entire NHL? Not too shabby.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Probably a tie between Andy and Miller. Andersson's has looked much improved this season. Of course it should, he said he's worked on his skating over the summer. Looks like it is paying off... he's certainly not a liability out there because of it. His skating is fine.

I think some people are still stuck in the 2013 season.

Seems like Nesty had some pretty good line-mates in the NHL and was even gifted 2nd unit PP play time and still didn't do ****.

That said, I'd been fine waiving Andy over Nesty, both are faster than Nesty, but at least Andy brings something intangible to the team. Wings have what, the 2nd best PK in the entire NHL? Not too shabby.

i'm fine with keeping andy over nesty. i think he's more useful in the role that he's used.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I just think they provide a bigger impact than they are given credit for.

Yeah, I'm with ya. I really won't be surprised to see that line stick together all the way through the playoffs. They have excellent hockey sense, and are killing it out there defensively, often shutting down top lines. As long as they're doing that, I couldn't care less if they sometimes get 2nd-line minutes. They are collectively a +6, and for a line that usually matches up against top lines, and doesn't produce much offense themselves, that is excellent. Them breaking even night in and night out is a net-win for the team.

Franzen-Z-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Abdelkader
Datsyuk-Weiss-Jurco
Miller-Helm-Glendening

When Datsyuk is healthy, I'd bet we see....

Gus - Hank - Mule
Tats - Dats - Abs
Helm - Sheahan - Jurco
Miller - Glendening - Andersson

Where Weiss goes once he is back is tough to say, since it'll probably be largely dependent on who is playing well/not well, and who else might be injured.

Mantha? Who knows, too many variables between now and then (whenever "then" might be) to make a worthwhile guess.

If Helm goes down to the 4th line at some point, he certainly won't be centering it. He'll go to the wing and Glendening will stay in the middle. That's a Jaster Guaranteeâ„¢.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Someone's always gonna be the slowest.. doesn't mean you need to get rid of the player. Andersson complements Glendening pretty well. Different players make for a good line and that's what we have with our 4th line. Individually they really aren't much, but who cares as long as they work together. We built our 4th line from leftovers for some years so it's nice to have something that works again.

I'm surprised there's so much general talk about Glendening and Andersson but so little of Miller. Miller's role on the team is waay overrated here and he makes as much money as they do combined.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
As far as I'm concerned, Babcock needs to keep his hands off that 4th line until they get burned a few games in a row. Andersson... good, bad, fast, slow, whatever... it's working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad