Waived: Nestrasil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Never seen so many angry people over losing a depth player they didn't know existed 4 months ago.

Yes, first time I heard his name was when he got waived, right?

My point was why should we get so upset over a guy who isn't anywhere near an impact player and will likely never will be? Neither was playing, and Holland would have rather expose him to waivers than just have him sit in the pressbox forever.

So what if more than one team did? He can play in the NHL, we all know that, but he wasn't doing much with Detroit and isn't a huge loss (if any) in the grand scheme of things. Nobody is picking him up as a top-6 guy or a guy to help with the PK or any specific skillset, because he isn't particularly adept at anything. He is just all-around good enough to play in the NHL without killing the team. We haven't needed that and he hasn't been playing as a result.

What is the big deal, here? What did we lose?

We lost an asset that apparently several other teams thought enough of to claim, in a year when many teams have cap problems and trades are somewhat difficult for those reasons. Yes, it's great to lose cheap talent where the full upsids really known yet.

You would have said the same about Franzen, maybe Kronwall, certainly Ericsson, guys like Helm or Abby if they'd suffered a similar fate during their debuts.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
-Karmonos Rivalry? Will Kenny trade a 1st rounder one day to get him back? :)

God I hate you Cleary.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
I can't think of a single prospect we lost that actually hurt us. When we lose players they almost always just disappear into the crowd of NHL players. Can you name some? (Not counting someone like Jarnkrok who was traded for a need)

Kyle Quincey

That took me all of 2 seconds to think of. You develop prospects to either use them, trade them. The Wings took the time and energy to develop him into an nhl player and lose him for nothing.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
We lost an asset that apparently several other teams thought enough of to claim, in a year when many teams have cap problems and trades are somewhat difficult for those reasons.

Nestrasil has no trade value. Players like him get put on waivers all the time for that reason.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Nestrasil has no trade value. Players like him get put on waivers all the time for that reason.

Nestrasil had trade value, even if it was Nestrasil and a 7th round pick for a 5th rounder.

I'm not going to lose sleep over Nestrasil being claimed, but I do it should've been Andersson getting the waive. He's soft as butter, almost 26 without much room to grow, and his defensive prowess isn't all its cracked up to be. Nesty is younger, bigger, has a touch more skill, is decently physical (but a monster by comparison to Andy), and still has some room to grow.

I also probably would've put Cleary ahead of Nestrasil on the waiver wire. He's played decently in his handful of games this season, but he isn't getting any better and has zero future with this organization.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Nestrasil had one decent half of an AHL season and an OK preseason where he got a bunch of PP time. Guys like that need to step up in their chances and do something with it. Nesty didnt, not gonna miss him too bad he couldnt have helped GR.

Just means Mantha, Pulkkinen and Callahan are closer to a call up now

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
What's with the attachment over these "13th" forwards we occasionally call up? He was decent the first couple games of the season and the preseason. Didn't stand out after that and even got power play time. The guy has been waiver fodder for a long time. Now if only they would see the same in Andersson.

I don't think people are really "attached" to Nestrasil so much as they are disappointed that 1) we lost a player who was probably not the least valuable player to us (see: Weiss, Cleary, Andersson), and that 2) Holland clearly didn't know the market value of his own player given the fact that multiple teams put in claims for Nestrasil.

I mean, it doesn't really help us that Nestrasil was claimed. I don't really think we lost anything either, but its not like we waived him to make room for something of value. On the other hand, Holland is reluctant to waive a $2.4M healthy scratch when a team claiming Kindl actually would help us.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
We lost an asset that apparently several other teams thought enough of to claim, in a year when many teams have cap problems and trades are somewhat difficult for those reasons. Yes, it's great to lose cheap talent where the full upsids really known yet.

You would have said the same about Franzen, maybe Kronwall, certainly Ericsson, guys like Helm or Abby if they'd suffered a similar fate during their debuts.

A lot of teams thought they could use a guy who they didn't have to give up any assets for. Players get waived and claimed all the time. That doesn't mean they have a lot of value. Where do you think he fits in long-term? Maybe a third liner? PK duties? PP duties? Also what teams put in a claim for him? Boston? Chicago? Any cup contenders? Carolina picked him up. I'm not worried that bottom feeding teams who are looking for any way to change things up are looking to change things up with a new player who proved he isn't useless in an NHL sweater.

As for your second paragraph, no, I wouldn't have. I don't see why me thinking something of one player means I think it of every player that is coming up into the league. That's ridiculous.

Detroit Sports*

^ This.

He has no trade value. I expect to see him waived again before the season is over, and I really doubt Holland and Co. would even bother putting a claim in for him.

He should change his last name to cleary

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I don't think people are really "attached" to Nestrasil so much as they are disappointed that 1) we lost a player who was probably not the least valuable player to us (see: Weiss, Cleary, Andersson), and that 2) Holland clearly didn't know the market value of his own player given the fact that multiple teams put in claims for Nestrasil.

I mean, it doesn't really help us that Nestrasil was claimed. I don't really think we lost anything either, but its not like we waived him to make room for something of value. On the other hand, Holland is reluctant to waive a $2.4M healthy scratch when a team claiming Kindl actually would help us.

A lot of teams thought they could use a guy who they didn't have to give up any assets for. Players get waived and claimed all the time. That doesn't mean they have a lot of value. Where do you think he fits in long-term? Maybe a third liner? PK duties? PP duties? Also what teams put in a claim for him? Boston? Chicago? Any cup contenders? Carolina picked him up. I'm not worried that bottom feeding teams who are looking for any way to change things up are looking to change things up with a new player who proved he isn't useless in an NHL sweater.

As for your second paragraph, no, I wouldn't have. I don't see why me thinking something of one player means I think it of every player that is coming up into the league. That's ridiculous.

Post quoted above yours lays out my thoughts exactly. He had more value/potential than some of what's being kept. Some of the current roster guys were consider worthless to maybe fourth line grinders who could be easily replaced, yet given some time to develop, they overachieved based on projections here.

6'2", 210 lb winger with some skill is indeed has better potential than some of what Holland is keeping instead.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
What's with the attachment over these "13th" forwards we occasionally call up? He was decent the first couple games of the season and the preseason. Didn't stand out after that and even got power play time. The guy has been waiver fodder for a long time. Now if only they would see the same in Andersson.

My thoughts exactly.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Andersson is as important part of the shut-down 4th line as is Glendening and Miller. Also big factor on one of the league best penalty-kill units.

Won't understand this Andersson hate, but hey, maybe we need new scapegoats because the old ones havd been beaten to death. :)

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Kyle Quincey

That took me all of 2 seconds to think of. You develop prospects to either use them, trade them. The Wings took the time and energy to develop him into an nhl player and lose him for nothing.

To be fair, the Wings did try to trade Quincey, and, for a moment, did trade him, to Dallas. And then he failed his physical, nullifying the trade. So then they were stuck with a depth defenseman who had a herniated disk. Bad circumstances, but they did try to avoid losing him for nothing.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

1) Weiss has far more upside, and a lot invested in him, so he's not a realistic option. Andersson is a better player, so he's not a realistic option. Cleary maybe, but then Nestrasil is still sitting in the pressbox.

The short of it is that Nestrasil wasn't a top-12 forward for us, and didn't project to be in the near future (and probably not the distant future). So rather than selfishly damage his career in order to keep him around on the off-chance he magically turns into something much more while spending most of his time in the pressbox, they made a move that was considerate and guaranteed him either A) regular playing time with GR in order to continue his development, or B) a chance to play in the NHL with another [weaker] team.

In sum, it was at the point where treating Nestrasil fairly > keeping him around as rotting depth.

2) Having multiple waiver claims does not mean that Nestrasil had trade value. The two are not directly related. He might have had some trade value, though I doubt it. But even if he did, it's entirely possible the Wings valued a chance at keeping him in the organization more than they did a bonus 7th-rounder.

I really don't like Kindl, but he offers more value to the Wings than Nestrasil. Apples and oranges.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The theory that because multiple teams put in a claim for Nestrasil means there was a market to trade him is hilarious. Teams aren't going to give up draft picks for unproven depth players.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The theory that because multiple teams put in a claim for Nestrasil means there was a market to trade him is hilarious. Teams aren't going to give up draft picks for unproven depth players.
Exactly. More broadly, just because many people will take something for free doesn't mean any of them would still take it if they had to pay for it.

I feel that way about all kinds of things. Like banana flavored candy.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Post quoted above yours lays out my thoughts exactly. He had more value/potential than some of what's being kept. Some of the current roster guys were consider worthless to maybe fourth line grinders who could be easily replaced, yet given some time to develop, they overachieved based on projections here.

6'2", 210 lb winger with some skill is indeed has better potential than some of what Holland is keeping instead.

They thought the risk of sending him down was worth the time he could have had in GR instead of rotting in the pressbox.

Again I will bring up the dropping a grape on the floor analogy. You wish you could have eaten that grape, but it isn't going to affect your meal all that much. People are acting like half the grapes fell on the floor, for crying out loud, and I don't see why it's a big deal. It's not. It happens.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Andersson is as important part of the shut-down 4th line as is Glendening and Miller. Also big factor on one of the league best penalty-kill units.

Won't understand this Andersson hate, but hey, maybe we need new scapegoats because the old ones havd been beaten to death. :)

I think Howard's a much bigger factor on the PK than any of the forwards, and our fourth line just doesn't wow me outside of Glendening.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

however unproven depth players are incld in trades all the time

-steven delisile
-mark cundari
-anssi salmela
-alex guptill
-nicholas paul
-ludwig karlsson
-steven anthony
-ryan button

just a handful of guys included in trades over the last 3 seasons who hadent proven anything in the nhl.

nesty one for one wouldnt get you much beyond a 5th-7th rounder and yes giving him a chance to play elsewhere is good karma but it simply was not the ONLY choice holland had, has had or will have again soon with other young guys coming up from grand rapids

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think Howard's a much bigger factor on the PK than any of the forwards, and our fourth line just doesn't wow me outside of Glendening.

Yeah, Andersson's great positioning all the time doesn't wow anybody. You can also be effective hockey player without wow-things. But he is doing right things defensively. Miller is kind of same.

Who would fit better to that 4th line than Andersson, and at same time, it would not be off and weaken the TOP3 lines? You want Cleary there?

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Yeah, Andersson's great positioning all the time doesn't wow anybody. You can also be effective hockey player without wow-things. But he is doing right things defensively. Miller is kind of same.

Who would fit better to that 4th line than Andersson, and at same time, it would not be off and weaken the TOP3 lines? You want Cleary there?

I agree, Andersson has found a niche on that 4th line and is as solid defensively as you can get. Defensive hockey isn't sexy and wow-worthy, but it's as essential as anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad