Confirmed with Link: Nemeth dumped to Arizona

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
For all those saying this type of pick-up is non risk, bemoaning people complaining about the money and term - hopefully the price of getting rid of this guy may make some reconsider.

He may have pulled a few decent moves since, but that first summer it was Drury who was truely clueless.

Reactions: gabevh3

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Drury is officially on my shit list. He seriously just handed away a 2nd round pick to get rid of his own garbage Nemeth contract he handed out.

Hands out 7 years to Trocheck. Imagine what he's going to have to trade along with Trocheck to get rid of him in a couple years.

Reactions: gabevh3 and mas0764

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Don't know what Emberson's value is today, but I'd expect it's less then a 3rd. Isn't looking like a future NHLer.

For perspective, our third round draft picks in 2018 were Jakob Ragnarsson and Joey Keane, so I think AZ might've done better than we did.

He's a body for the AHL and still young enough (22?) to have a shot.

Again, to me, this is pretty much market value and the Rangers need every inch of cap space they can get this year.

Reactions: PainForShane

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Emberson has some upside. He was a recent 3rd who can make it as a bottom pair guy. Captained Wisconsin. He and the second pick are a wash. It’s basically dumping Nemeth at the cost of a 2nd, and the kid could be a pleasant surprise as a physical #7 type.

Reactions: egelband

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Drury is a horrible gm. Let’s be real here.
Nemeth, trading buch. The amount given up to rent Copp. [mod] Arizona got more to take Nemeth than we received for buch. Ridiculous.
Is the Copp trade better if we lose to the Canes?

Last edited by a moderator:

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Drury is a horrible gm. Let’s be real here.
Nemeth, trading buch. The amount given up to rent Copp. [mod] Arizona got more to take Nemeth than we received for buch. Ridiculous.

I mean, it’s at best a mixed bag. He has a growing list of moves that are far too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CLW and gabevh3

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
It’s some straight up apologism to be suggesting that the additional second and Emberson, a 22 year old former third round pick, are “washes.”

A 22 year old who hasn’t made the NHL yet hasn’t increased in value, he’s decreased.

Reactions: gabevh3

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Some of you are hysterical. Worrying about 2nd round pick in 2025? Come on. Needed to dump this guy.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... A 22 year old who hasn’t made the NHL yet hasn’t increased in value, he’s decreased.

i see it this way,
kid has had just 1 pro season,
after 3 Big10 seasons, last one wearing C,
and had 2 seasons w NTDP
that arc has led to quite a few decent NHL careers

wasn't expecting a star back for Nemeth
but w Schneider up,
and still reasonable likelihood Lundkvist maybe traded, with Schnied, Fox, Trouba ahead of him,
adding Emberson to Skinner in RD pipeline seems smart move to me

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
It’s ok to have these kind of net negative losing moves every now and then.

We overpay or lose value in like every transaction. Trochek? Overpay in term. Copp? Overpay in assets. Nemeth buy out? Overpay in draft picks. Goodrow? He’s just overpaid by half a million or so. Buch trade? We didn’t get enough back, but it’s ok cause we couldn’t afford him long term.

Every time it’s just a little bit of an overpay and the apologists say “I’m ok with it, it’s just a little overpay, not the end of the world, I’ll let the experts worry about it, we are better today because of this overpay.”

But overpay after overpay after overpay means you are not on a level playing field anymore, you are operating with less cap space, less assets than everyone else. It’s a losing management style and you don’t see Cup winners spawn out of it. The teams that win, among other things, are the teams who take advantage of these systems and exploit them for value edges. Tampa manipulated the cap. Colorado has like a thousand young players locked up to long term value contracts because they were smart enough not to bridge everyone.

We are consistently mediocre in our management of these systems. We are not finding enough transactions that we are clearly coming out ahead since Gorton departed and that’s a big, big problem with Drury so far. I suspect it’s because he has no experience as a GM.

Reactions: CLW and ck26

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Hell of a contract Chris.

I feel like this isn't Drury's fault, Nemeth just shit the bed. All the information on the player, including eye test, for his career prior to signing that deal would've indicated that it was more or less fair. He was a solid defensive defenseman for basically his whole career, he was only 29 and only had approx 380 NHL games on his body.

Frankly don't even care about a 2nd rounder in '25 and '25. We'll surely reclaim that draft capital by the time the draft rolls around, at least Nemeth's cap hit is off our books while we're trying to win here.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
I'm intrigued by the idea that Emberson is more than just a throw in. Historically, we have scouted D prospects well, especially in the US. We would know him well from being Miller's D partner too.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
It’s some straight up apologism to be suggesting that the additional second and Emberson, a 22 year old former third round pick, are “washes.”

A 22 year old who hasn’t made the NHL yet hasn’t increased in value, he’s decreased.

30%, or so, of 3rd rounders play an NHL game. I don't know shit about Emberson, but I do know that 22 is still young enough for a D to make a case for being in the NHL.

The conditional pick (and I'm not sure where the terms are outlined) could be a 3rd and Emberson could still play an NHL game. Just look at Justin Braun - made is debut @ 23 and only played 30 NHL games through age 24. Is Emberson an NHL player? Likely not. Is that third round asset in 2025 an NHL player? Likely not. No apologies, but a likely wash. We get a guy for Hartford, they get a dart to throw at the board.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I feel like this isn't Drury's fault, Nemeth just shit the bed. All the information on the player, including eye test, for his career prior to signing that deal would've indicated that it was more or less fair. He was a solid defensive defenseman for basically his whole career, he was only 29 and only had approx 380 NHL games on his body.

Frankly don't even care about a 2nd rounder in '25 and '25. We'll surely reclaim that draft capital by the time the draft rolls around, at least Nemeth's cap hit is off our books while we're trying to win here.
It’s Drury fault. No one else was going to give a 3year deal to a bottom pairing dman with a history of embarrassing themselves in the playoffs.

But no one gets all of their moves right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad