Series Discussion: NDSF: Winnipeg Jets (3) vs Edmonton Oilers (2)

Who wins?

• Total voters

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
This would be my starting forwards in game 1...
KC Scheif Copper
Hark PLD Ehlers
KV Stastny Wheeler
MP Lowry Apples

Maurice isn't going to be throwing his 4 lines into a blender to try untested combinations.
Copp won't be playing off wing.
Harkins won't be playing period.
Vesalainen definitely won't be playing.
Wheeler won't be separated from Scheif at the moment.
CSW will start as a line, perhaps Maurice splits them up if we are down in the series but fully expect them to get a crack at being a line.
Lowry and Appleton won't be on the 4th line.

Outside of an injury Thompson and Lewis won't be coming out of the lineup.
Harkins and Ves aren't going to be used to kill penalties and like it or not the old guys have played well above their expected talent / skill all year in terms of keeping the puck out of our end.

Let's just hope we don't lose Scheifele on the first shift of the playoffs again.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Maurice isn't going to be throwing his 4 lines into a blender to try untested combinations.
Copp won't be playing off wing.
Harkins won't be playing period.
Vesalainen definitely won't be playing.
Wheeler won't be separated from Scheif at the moment.
CSW will start as a line, perhaps Maurice splits them up if we are down in the series but fully expect them to get a crack at being a line.
Lowry and Appleton won't be on the 4th line.

Outside of an injury Thompson and Lewis won't be coming out of the lineup.
Harkins and Ves aren't going to be used to kill penalties and like it or not the old guys have played well above their expected talent / skill all year in terms of keeping the puck out of our end.

Let's just hope we don't lose Scheifele on the first shift of the playoffs again.
It was MY starting lineup if you re-read it...also, Hark was good in the play-ins last season.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Simplified comparisons:
Advantages:

Forwards-Jets
Defence-Slight edge Oilers
Goalies-Jets
Special Teams-Oilers
Coaching (systems, accountability, deployment, adjustments)-Oilers

Due to the significant coaching advantage for the Oilers, they win in 6.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
We need to do everything we can to get in McDavid's head and frustrate him. We dont want to be in the box all series. But if we just let him play his game he has proven he is going to torch us. We need to play him physical, get in his face after every whistle, get in his way away from the puck as much as possible. Just make his life miserable. And if he still gets his 2 pts a game so be it.

Maybe we will even get an extra PP or two from them doing it to our guys. They are going to probably do it anyways. McDavid needs to pay the price if he is going to go full steam towards our net.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The very best SN coverage is awful.

I think at the top end they do a good job. Bieksa is a great analyst. Botteril is good. David Amber is great, Ron goes on tangents. Cuthbert is a good pbp guy and I don't mind Simpson when he's not doing a Jets game.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Exactly. It's crystal clear that referring to Ehlers as a Dutchman is the playful repetition of a past mistake that has entered the corpus of inside jokes for a group of people, and is being evoked for the purposes of generating amusement, not "misappropriating someone's nationality and culture". Like, hypothetically speaking, playfully repeating the "mistake" of referring to what Europeans call "football" as "soccer", done for the sole purposes of evoking an inside joke among a group of people.

Not sure what you said here, but I emphatically agree. Whatever it was. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think you can have a board where someone makes "jokes" about Hyman being broken and the response is like a gaggle of tittering 10 year olds just hitting puberty and then claim that's an inclusive environment.

Just my opinion.

Are you in favour of excluding tittering 10 year olds?

We include them here.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
jets need to make mcd's ice time miserable. rough him up ffs (without penalty). they've been showing him too much respect. get on him early and stay on him.

easier said than done of course. but doable, i feel, if it's done by committee.

Can't recall if PLD was matched up with McD this season -- he's got some speed and quick hands and has decent positioning. Might be worth a look if Lowry's getting hard-matched against someone else. Suspect he's likely as good as or better than 55, likely, especially if he's with Paulie "King of Subtle Interference" Walnuts.

Ya know who isn't a great matchup for 97? KC and/or Wheels, and since they'll be stapled to Scheifele, that's a problem.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like our chances if Lowry sees a lot of time against McD and we stay out of the box.
Maurice needs to use Scheif PLD Stastny Lowry down the middle but I know he won't.

So, you want a lot of Lowry against McDavid and then you want Lowry on the 4th line? Seems a little contrary.

I'm happy with Scheifele, PLD, Lowry, Thompson down the middle. I am a lot more concerned with our wingers, where and how they play.

Has anyone seen/heard any updates on Ehlers? We need him back, immediately.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think at the top end they do a good job. Bieksa is a great analyst. Botteril is good. David Amber is great, Ron goes on tangents. Cuthbert is a good pbp guy and I don't mind Simpson when he's not doing a Jets game.

OK, you're welcome to them.
Are there any games that don't involve the Jets? I've never watched one. :laugh:
All I ever hear from SN is Leafs, Leafs, Leafs, whether they are playing or not. Even after they are eliminated from the PO, it is Leafs, Leafs, Leafs. gahg

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
I have this thing happen regularly with Ron McLean where I all of a sudden realize I have absolutely no idea what he’s talking about. Definitely goes on obscure tangents.
Particularly during those overly-sentimental Home Town hockey broadcasts.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
We need to do everything we can to get in McDavid's head and frustrate him. We dont want to be in the box all series. But if we just let him play his game he has proven he is going to torch us. We need to play him physical, get in his face after every whistle, get in his way away from the puck as much as possible. Just make his life miserable. And if he still gets his 2 pts a game so be it.

Maybe we will even get an extra PP or two from them doing it to our guys. They are going to probably do it anyways. McDavid needs to pay the price if he is going to go full steam towards our net.
And the other guy to frustrate is hot head Smith, get in his grill.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
It was MY starting lineup if you re-read it...also, Hark was good in the play-ins last season.

I agree that Harkins was very good last year but somehow that bought him almost no ice time this season.
Maurice isn't going to suddenly insert him now that we are in the playoffs after sitting him for most of the season. I sort of assume that Tolentino is ahead of Harkins on the depth chart at the moment. Perhaps Harkins farted in front of Maurice once and Paul hasn't gotten over it?

schmockeyknife

Apr 7, 2021
Can't recall if PLD was matched up with McD this season -- he's got some speed and quick hands and has decent positioning. Might be worth a look if Lowry's getting hard-matched against someone else. Suspect he's likely as good as or better than 55, likely, especially if he's with Paulie "King of Subtle Interference" Walnuts.

Ya know who isn't a great matchup for 97? KC and/or Wheels, and since they'll be stapled to Scheifele, that's a problem.
i agree that a healthy and engaged PLD could be another guy to harass mcd. it feels like this series is completely dependent on the health of our players which is looking sketchy :help:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
So, you want a lot of Lowry against McDavid and then you want Lowry on the 4th line? Seems a little contrary.

I'm happy with Scheifele, PLD, Lowry, Thompson down the middle. I am a lot more concerned with our wingers, where and how they play.

Has anyone seen/heard any updates on Ehlers? We need him back, immediately.
Call his line what you want but I want it on the ice whenever McD is.
My 2nd choice would be the Hark PLD Ehlers line.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Call his line what you want but I want it on the ice whenever McD is.
My 2nd choice would be the Hark PLD Ehlers line.

I agree. But it doesn't work if all of Scheifele, Dubois, Stastny and Lowry play C.

Split McD between Stas, PLD, Ehlers line and Copp, Lowry, Appleton line.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT play Scheifele line (it will be CSW) against McD!

Hems55

Mar 21, 2016
I give the Jets 1 hard fought win. It’ll be a short series. Our defence is just not good enough to contain McJesus for too many games. Would love to see Tree lay the body on a few of them...not likely if past coaching is any indicator.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad