OT: NCAA Thread v9

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I know it's impossible for a million reasons, but I'm in favor of whatever gets me more spontaneous Coastal Carolina-BYU style games.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Like what would even be the point of conferences at that point? Stupid.
Meh, it's turning into minor league football anyway, so the conferences will exist in name only. Even the NCAA is like, "f*** it, we're out at this point. Free agency, 7 figure deals, do whatever you want as long as TV revenue continues to skyrocket."

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
And now this! :laugh:

The playoff is irrevocably borked anyway. Just give me entertaining games.

I got a good chuckle out of Dabo saying that with the expanded playoffs the seasons should be shortened and they move the games with the FCS teams to the spring.

Or... maybe, just hear me out, you don't schedule cupcake FCS teams.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

Rumor that USC, Oregon, UCLA, & Colorado might be trying to get in with the Big Ten.

The ones who get borked are the non-football players. You play 12 games a year before possible conf championship and playoffs.

Half of those are home games with no travel. You have a week (or more) between games. You are travelling pretty little.

Now look at like Lacrosse where they play like 18 to 20 games. Many times not getting the same luxurious air travel of football players. Hell even basketball they're playing like 30 games a year pre conference tournaments.

Football funds a lot of this, but it's a shame how the distance just screws over the other non-football athletes at the schools

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The ones who get borked are the non-football players. You play 12 games a year before possible conf championship and playoffs.

Half of those are home games with no travel. You have a week (or more) between games. You are travelling pretty little.

Now look at like Lacrosse where they play like 18 to 20 games. Many times not getting the same luxurious air travel of football players. Hell even basketball they're playing like 30 games a year pre conference tournaments.

Football funds a lot of this, but it's a shame how the distance just screws over the other non-football athletes at the schools

I think football & basketball could become their own thing separate or the other sports. So could possibly see the smaller sports keep conferences more regional based.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I think football & basketball could become their own thing separate or the other sports. So could possibly see the smaller sports keep conferences more regional based.

Some of the Georgia sources are saying 20-24 teams are on the table for the SEC. At that point, I think you’re exactly right. That’s football making a super conference that functions as an Independent AAA.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

It doesn't sound like he intends to play football at Penn State in the fall. The way James Franklin commented about wishing him luck certainly doesn't sound like a player still going to play football.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I’d imagine the SEC & Big Ten win out if super conferences emerge given the massive financial advantages they have over the rest of the P5 & beyond.

So it will be interesting to see how quickly the dominoes shake out here. I’d have to imagine the Big Ten is quickly trying to counter this move with some big name additions of their own.

Reactions: Petr Svoboda Mullet

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Notre Dame not conferencing up for football especially not to the SEC. They will become irrelevant and at best a middle of the pack program inside of the SEC.

Notre Dame's current tv deal pays them $15m a year. The ESPN/ABC SEC deal is massive and will pay the SEC around $300m a year... But that still even if it was split evenly works out to like $19m a year per team.

There is additional money in terms of merchandising, etc... that ultimately does pay SEC teams a lot per team... I think if Notre Dame did do anything it would probably be to revise the type of agreement they had with the ACC where they keep home game revenue (which lets them keep their tv deal with NBC) and make a smaller portion of the league pay-out.

BTW, Notre Dame's agreement with the ACC for their other sports also has a caveat that if Notre Dame joined ANOTHER CONFERENCE for football that was not the ACC they would owe $150m to the ACC.

They would also then be in a league they are more competitive in and already play teams in it. Notre Dame playing Alabama, LSU, Florida every year would not turn out well for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad