College Hockey NCAA Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Was there a Jobst sweepstakes? He's a 5'8" 25 year old kid, who was a good college hockey player. Yes he was in Bruins dev camp last summer, but it's not like he tore up the place. There were a few mentions of him being ok, but not like anyone came out raving about him from dev camp.

One good thing about being one of the worst teams in NHL history, who traded a handful of NHL players at the deadline is that you are suddenly really attractive to amateur FA players (especially one from the hometown), as you have spots wide open for anyone with half a pulse to take. I am quite sure Veronneau would NOT be given the second line job in Boston had he signed in the Bruins org.

Bruins have signed one really interesting prospect this year in Zech, they also got the kid from Brown.

I wouldn't say a sweepstakes but I do believe he had it narrowed down between the Leafs and the Islanders and as far as Veronneau not being given the second line RW, well no ones given it but he would of gotten a shot at it and probably would have won it, but he choose the sure thing with the Sens, but the kids a player.

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
A player for Clarkson who looks really good in the ECAC and against Norte Dame was Harold Egle. He's a 22 year old junior who averaged more than a point a game for the season and has really picked up his game in meaningful games over the last two seasons. Skates hard and go's to heavy area's and plays with speed.

The only thing with Fox is I think he'll cost and considering the Bruins already having McAvoy Carlo.Miller and Clifton on the right-side, I don't now if they'd be willing to give up the asking price, but I guess if Fox doesn't end up signing with anyone, anythings possible.

Egle is going to be 23 in a couple of months.

If the B’s want to go after an undrafted NCAA FA RW, just look down the Pike to Exit 8 and go after Mitchell Chaffee. Similar (better) production, about 20 months younger than Egle and better size.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Egle is going to be 23 in a couple of months.

If the B’s want to go after an undrafted NCAA FA RW, just look down the Pike to Exit 8 and go after Mitchell Chaffee. Similar (better) production, about 20 months younger than Egle and better size.
I don't care if he's going to be 33, if he can help the Bruins.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
There's plenty to complain about with the Bruins' scouting, but you can't argue they haven't done a fantastic job with college free agents.

Something I'd love to do research on is the number of undrafted college free agents that have turned into top 6 forwards. I bet there's not many. For me then, what you should be looking for is players that can play on the 4th line. You'd rather not be signing NHL free agents for those spots and you shouldn't be drafting anyone who projects as a 4th liner. That is why undrafted college free agents are perfect. They come cheap and with a chip on their shoulder, perfect for the 4th line. Therefore, if I'm signing a college free agent, I'm looking for someone who can skate well and is defensively responsible. I don't believe the track record for the high scoring forwards is all that good.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There's plenty to complain about with the Bruins' scouting, but you can't argue they haven't done a fantastic job with college free agents.

Something I'd love to do research on is the number of undrafted college free agents that have turned into top 6 forwards. I bet there's not many. For me then, what you should be looking for is players that can play on the 4th line. You'd rather not be signing NHL free agents for those spots and you shouldn't be drafting anyone who projects as a 4th liner. That is why undrafted college free agents are perfect. They come cheap and with a chip on their shoulder, perfect for the 4th line. Therefore, if I'm signing a college free agent, I'm looking for someone who can skate well and is defensively responsible. I don't believe the track record for the high scoring forwards is all that good.

Basically it is very rare . Torey Krug is arguably of the 10 best undrafted signings of the past 2 decades.

So looking at ALL NHL Undrafted FA signing ( this mixes both undrafted Euro and undrafted NCAA) ( I apologize if I missed someone who miscopied a bit of info). In that span definitely less than 1 top 6 forward per year, maybe 1 every other year

List of undrafted NHL players with 100 games played - Wikipedia

Starting 21 years ago (Stats are through 2018)
Martin St Louis 1998 1134 games / 1033 points
Chris Kunitz 2003 966 / 609 pts
Dan Boyle 1998 883 / 605 Pts (D man)
Brain Rafalski 1999 833 / 515 pts (D man)
Andy McDonald 2000 685 / 489
Jason Blake 1998 871 / 476
Alex Burrows 2005 913 / 409
Pasqual Dupris 2000 871 / 409
Mark Giordano 2005 755 / 378 (Dman)
Tyler Bozak 2009 594 /365
Rene Bourque 2005 725 / 316

Down the list, younger players who have had the biggest impact
Matt Zuccarello 2010
David Dechanais 2009
Tyler Johnson 2012
Torey Krug 2011
Artemi Panarin 2015
Jonathan Machessault 2011

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don't care if he's going to be 33, if he can help the Bruins.

B’s can only sign so many FA’s with the 50 contract limit.

Chaffee is bigger, younger and has more points. If you could only choose one of those two, he would be my choice.

The B’s probably have zero interest in either :laugh:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
[QUOTE="GloryDaze4877, post: 158926701, member: 38547"]B’s can only sign so many FA’s with the 50 contract limit.

Chaffee is bigger, younger and has more points. If you could only choose one of those two, he would be my choice.

The B’s probably have zero interest in either :laugh:[/QUOTE]

I believe their at 46 as of today.

I can't really comment on Chaffee never seen him play but Ill take your word on him. As far as Egle from what I've seen of him live and during the ECAC and vs Notre Dame the kids a gamer with speed and a nice shot. The games I seen him play I actually liked him better than Sturm, but I haven't heard if he even intends to come out or not. He's a political Science major and takes a few classes with my daughter, maybe I should get her to try and pry a little info out of him.:laugh:

But, Yes I agree the bruins probably have zero interest in either.:dunno:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Sure I don't think anyone disagrees.

I think the odds of signing a college FA who could come in and impact the 2019 Bruins is about 1000-1

Kuhlman has made an impact since signing last year. Udfas are the one thing I have full faith in our organization towards. We scout the college game well.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Surprised we haven't signed someone yet. Maybe eyeing someone on one of the Frozen Four teams?

Edit: Just remembered Zech, but he is on an AHL only deal.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
NCAA Frozen Four Thursday in Buffalo.

Minnesota Duluth vs. Providence Buffalo, N.Y.5:00 p.m. ETApril 11ESPN2
UMass vs. DenverBuffalo, N.Y.8:30 p.m. ETApril 11ESPN2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I don't like the week off in between, but I assume it's to avoid the Final Four conflict, so I get it.

Hoping for an "all Hockey East" Final with UMass taking the crown.

Reactions: 08SeaBass08

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
NCAA Frozen Four Thursday in Buffalo.

Minnesota Duluth vs. Providence Buffalo, N.Y.5:00 p.m. ETApril 11ESPN2
UMass vs. DenverBuffalo, N.Y.8:30 p.m. ETApril 11ESPN2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I don't like the week off in between, but I assume it's to avoid the Final Four conflict, so I get it.

Hoping for an "all Hockey East" Final with UMass taking the crown.
#flagship
#newmass

Anyone else going to Buffalo?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
#flagship
#newmass

Anyone else going to Buffalo?

My wife and I talked about me taking my son. My daughter is a 2nd year at Syracuse Law and we could have stayed with her. Problem is that grades for his high school term close on Friday, he has two tests Thursday, and lax games Thursday and Saturday.

He would miss too much for it to be feasible at this point. I suppose we could shoot up there after his lax game Saturday if UMass is in the Finals?

Reactions: 08SeaBass08

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I have my fingers crossed the Bruins are keeping contract spots open for some of the college guys still playing.

Hayden Hawkey would be an amazing get. Montreal traded him to Edmonton last year probably because they knew he wasn't going to sign there.
Divver had a nice write up on Wilkens today: Josh Wilkins goes from underdog to big dog at PC
Scott Conway is also a UFA potential PC signing.

There are several 23-24 year olds like UMass Pritchard and Chaffee or Denver's Finlay and Lukosevicius.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I have my fingers crossed the Bruins are keeping contract spots open for some of the college guys still playing.

Hayden Hawkey would be an amazing get. Montreal traded him to Edmonton last year probably because they knew he wasn't going to sign there.
Divver had a nice write up on Wilkens today: Josh Wilkins goes from underdog to big dog at PC
Scott Conway is also a UFA potential PC signing.

There are several 23-24 year olds like UMass Pritchard and Chaffee or Denver's Finlay and Lukosevicius.

In regards to Hayden Hawkey, since I think he would be a great addition to the organization, is he a college UFA right away or is he someone that becomes a UFA late in the offseason like Jimmy Vesey was (August)? Honestly, give me any of the PC guys. They'd be great additions to the organization.

Last edited:
Reactions: 00BW

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
In regards to Hayden Hawkey, since I think he would be a great addition to the organization, is he a college UFA right away or is he someone that becomes a UFA late in the offseason like Jimmy Vesey was (August)? Honestly, give me any of the PC guys. They'd be great additions to the organization.
I still have problems figuring that rule out. Is it July 1 like other UFAs or Aug? I think it is something like draft+4 and since he is draft+5 it would indicate July 1 but I also think I could be wrong.

I know several people mentioned Keyser should go ECHL for a year to be #1 starter and McIntyre is UFA, so Hawkey at 24 would be a great fit in Providence with Vladar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad