College Hockey NCAA Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
QU hasn't really been a regional, much less national power program, though..... is it really the 1st hockey school you think of regionally?

You made it seem like Quinnipiac beating Arizona State was an upset and that people are sleeping on them.

The school has had one losing season in hockey since 1996-97 and have been one of the better ECAC teams for the last 7 years. During that time they have made 5 NCAA tournament appearances and made the Frozen Four twice.

So you are 100% incorrect, not only are they a regional power, they have been a “national power” for a few years now.

Maybe you should bone up on your college hockey?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
AIC has had a program for many years. They were very good when I was growing up in the 70’s and then again for portions of the 80’s and 90’s. They were pretty bad for a couple of decades until current coach Eric Lang took over. The campus is in a bad section of Springfield, but hopefully their upset of St Cloud will help the program maintain a level of success.
thx for the info, can`t believe I`ve never heard of them or this program. Seems like it would be an interesting campus and institution to be a part of

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
You made it seem like Quinnipiac beating Arizona State was an upset and that people are sleeping on them.

The school has had one losing season in hockey since 1996-97 and have been one of the better ECAC teams for the last 7 years. During that time they have made 5 NCAA tournament appearances and made the Frozen Four twice.

So you are 100% incorrect, not only are they a regional power, they have been a “national power” for a few years now.

Maybe you should bone up on your college hockey?
then why isn't Quinnpiac in a power 5 conference, such as Hockey East, then, maybe we need to drop UMASS Amherst from the conference, or BC, for that matter

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
then why isn't Quinnpiac in a power 5 conference, such as Hockey East, then, maybe we need to drop UMASS Amherst from the conference, or BC, for that matter

I don’t quite know what to make of this post. Is this a serious suggestion? Are you going with the shock and awe approach?

Quinnipiac is absolutely a well known, well respected and strong hockey program. It may not get the noteriaty that other schools do because hockey is really all they’re known for but that doesn’t take away from their program in any way.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

ECAC has won as many recent titles as Hockey East off the top of my head Union and Yale have them. UConn would be much better being able to play QU and Yale then the Boston area schools.

ECAC could still have half the frozen four.

AICs league is second rate but they always manage to knock off a one seed in the tournament.

I was ready to credit the Big Ten as the best league a few months ago but the two teams they got into the tournament haven’t done squat.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hoping for a big crowd today at the Dunk. Wish some of those folks were told where Schneider Arena was. These crowds make me wish we hadn’t reupped Providence as our AHL affiliate and they moved to Worcester or something I’d love that support to go to my Friars instead.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Who is calling the PC game with Jaffe? I really dislike her voice

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
JUST TRYING TO GET THEM SOME RECOGNITION, is all, they've seem to be the forgotten team :thumbu:

Even though they were eliminated, I am sure the school appreciates you trying to get them some recognition...despite the fact you had no idea how good they actually were.

Anyway, the Frozen Four is set:

UMass (1) vs Denver (2)

Minnesota-Duluth (1) vs Providence (4)

On one side we have the newcomer vs the grizzled vet, but that is a bit misleading. Jim Montgomery, who was in charge during all of Denver’s recent success is gone, (coaching Dallas in the NHL), as is his high-flying offense. UMass may be in their first Frozen Four, but I think they are the better overall team. Their team defense is as good as Denver’s (1.97 GAPG vs 1.98) and their offense is significantly better at almost a goal higher per game (3.77 vs 2.80). Neither school allowed a goal in the Regionals, but UMass gets the significant edge on the offensive side.

Pick: UMass

On the other side, UMD has been in the Top 3/4 all year and have experience in the Frozen Four, as the defending champs. Based on their record and ranking, one would have to give them the decided edge, but if you look at the numbers, they are far more even. Both allow a stingy 1.95 GAPG and Providence has scored at a slightly better pace (3.22 vs 3.15). The Friars also have a coach who has been to the Finals recently and has his one championship. The fact that PRO barely made it in means little at this point. Hockey East had a bit of a tough season overall, but that will be forgotten as I am going with the upset and an “All Hockey East” Final.

Pick: Providence

Regardless of who advances from the other side, I still like UMass to win it all. I was worried after the HE playoff loss to BC, but the Minutemen clearly have put that behind them. I am obviously biased, but of all the teams remaining, they appear to be the fastest and most aggressive and have a goalie who has looked extremely confident when tested. They also have the most talented individual player left in the field in Makar. I think they will continue to play the suffocating style they did this last weekend and finish off the Cinderella season in style.

National Champ pick: UMass

ps knock on wood

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Denver Minnesota Duluth final, UMASS will allow double digit Goals

Denver wins National title

Wow, passive aggressive. Didn’t know you had that in your repertoire.

If UMass allows double digit goals, I will cancel my account and never post here again. What are you going to do when they don’t? :laugh:

ps don’t slouch on Quinnipiac...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad