College Hockey NCAA Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1024x1024.jpg

Congrats to NU(my dad's alma mater), a well deserved win, though they had to hang on for dear life at the end. I'm attending tonight's women's final at Harvard, I highly recommend it.

No. 7 Terriers Set for Beanpot Championship Showdown at Harvard - Boston University Athletics

Gallery: Northeastern wins 2019 Beanpot - The Huntington News

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and Fenway

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
This week’s brackets

West Regional (Fargo):
16 American International vs. 1 St. Cloud State
9 Arizona State vs. 8 Cornell
Midwest Regional (Allentown):
15 Bowling Green vs. 3 Ohio State
12 Clarkson vs. 6 Minnesota State
East Regional (Providence):
14 Northeastern vs. 4 Minnesota Duluth
10 Western Michigan vs. 5 Quinnipiac
Northeast Regional (Manchester):
13 Harvard vs. 2 Massachusetts
11 UMass Lowell vs. 7 Denver

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
This week’s brackets

West Regional (Fargo):
16 American International vs. 1 St. Cloud State
9 Western Michigan vs. 8 Arizona State
Midwest Regional (Allentown):
13 Clarkson vs. 3 Minnesota Duluth
11 Northeastern vs. 7 Ohio State
East Regional (Providence):
14 UMass Lowell vs. 4 Denver
12 Providence vs. 6 Quinnipiac
Northeast Regional (Manchester):
15 Harvard vs. 2 Massachusetts
10 Cornell vs. 5 Minnesota State

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
ASU Sun Devils possibly playing in the NCAAs over BU and BC.

Might have to take a drive out to Tempe find out what’s goin on.

They split with BU at Agganis a few weeks ago and look like the real deal for an at-large bid. The Terriers will have to win the tournament, but they did enjoy an exciting sweep up in Burlington this past weekend. If anything, I hope ASU's success(as well as that of Penn State) finally motivates the U. of Illinois to break into D-I.

https://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwise-rankings/d-i-men/

https://www.uscho.com/2019/02/15/co...decision-on-ncaa-d-i-program-in-april-or-may/

The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Brett Boeing (the one holding the trophy) is actually 24, but when you see the guy, he looks like he’s 35 :laugh:

I read somewhere recently that the average age of incoming NCAA DIV1 freshman is over 20 (something like 20.5 or 20.7?).

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Brett Boeing (the one holding the trophy) is actually 24, but when you see the guy, he looks like he’s 35 :laugh:

I read somewhere recently that the average age of incoming NCAA DIV1 freshman is over 20 (something like 20.5 or 20.7?).

Interesting. I guess that is the Jr. effect- USHL/Jr.A. I wonder if the days of the most coming from HS programs is drawing to a close? It is pretty much that way in NCAA soccer these days with club programs generating the players rather than high schools.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Interesting. I guess that is the Jr. effect- USHL/Jr.A. I wonder if the days of the most coming from HS programs is drawing to a close? It is pretty much that way in NCAA soccer these days with club programs generating the players rather than high schools.
Prep schools as well. A lot of the American kids enter prep schools doing that extra Year over before going the college route and trying to get that D-1 invite/scholarship.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Prep schools as well. A lot of the American kids enter prep schools doing that extra Year over before going the college route and trying to get that D-1 invite/scholarship.

Ahh yes, forgot about those- don't see that much at all here in Texas with sports, and it isn't common in the soccer world.

Reactions: TCB

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
About the bolded, be honest...who saw this coming?

UMass had a sneaky good end of 2017-2018 season. My buddies and I thought they would be competitive this season (like 15-20ish in the pairwise), and they picked up poll votes in the preseason but this was unexpected. Not a huge shocker but definitely a surprise and a pleasant one at that.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
UMass clinches it’s first ever Hockey East title last night. Hobey Baker favorite Makar with a 3 point night.

Saw the UConn game at the Mullins Center. Great time, but I was surprised it wasn't packed. #2 team in the country! A nice win and awesome breakfast at the Stables Friday morning. So many of those way back when.

Going to HockeyEast semis/final and Manchester regional for sure. Frozen Four if they make it. Taking my five-year-old to all of it. Can't wait and he's out of his mind excited.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Sorry for the late reply. Have a few minutes because I’m at an emergency veterinary hospital waiting for my dog to be treated at 4 in the morning (Yeah!). Apparently she has hemorrhagic gastritis or something like that? I won’t go into gory detail but it involves blood, diarrhea, vomiting and lots of it. It came on pretty quickly and got bad around 1am. Our regular vet doesn’t have emergency service, so a 45 minute drive and $600+ later, here I am.

Don’t get me started on the demise of the high school athletic model, particularly with hockey it seems. This is a topic for it's own thread, but when I played, there were very few prep and Junior teams and local players would go D1 right out of high school or after one PG (post grad) year at the most. I am sure there are legit reasons why junior and prep teams have proliferated over the years, but one needs to look no further than Minnesota HS hockey to see that the system can still work.

There are different routes kids take now, but one that seems fairly common is a combo of the things you guys mentioned. Kids will often come out of an elite travel program, some go to a prep school (we have a couple locally), some go to high school then prep school, some go the junior route.

There is a local kid who is a good example. His name is John Leonard and he’s playing for UMass now. I know him because he lives one town over and played lax with my middle son one year. He went to the only local D1 high school in our area, Cathedral (now called Pope Francis) and led Mass HS hockey in goals his Junior year. Rather than attend HS his senior year, he went to Green Bay and played in the USHL for a season. He was supposed to play one year and was already committed to UMass.

He was a 17 year old playing against kids as old as 20/21 and didn’t play a ton. So he ended up doing two years in the USHL and entered college at 19 instead of 18. Nowadays, kids who might be a little less talented may stay in a junior league until they are 20 and not enter college until 21. One of my daughter’s BFF’s was a junior at UMass and started dating a “freshman hockey player”, but he was a year older than she was :laugh:

Another route that seems to be popular these days is to have a kid who is a very good HS player stay at his/her HS until their Junior year and then after that attend a prep school and repeat their Junior year and then stay for a Senior year as well. So, they basically do the old PG system, but a year early. I used to golf with a guy whose kid just did this. He left Pope Francis after his Junior year, did two years at Northfield Mount Herman and then ended up going to play hockey for a D3 school. A couple lesser D1 schools looked at him, but he wasn’t sure how much he would play. He also had a couple of Western Canadian minor junior teams approach him about playing a year with them before going to college.

The whole thing is crazy.

Anyway, congrats to UMass on a great regular season. They beat Maine 6-0 last light to finish 26-7 and the 1 seed for the Hockey East tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: TCB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad