Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Massachusetts nets first-ever No. 1 ranking in USCHO.com Division I Men’s Poll

For the first time in the history of the program, the UMass men’s hockey team is ranked No. 1 in the country, receiving 26 first-place votes in the USCHO’s Divsion 1 men’s poll.

The Minutemen improved to 12-1 with a 7-4 win over UConn Friday night, scoring four goals in the third period to break a 3-3 tie. Sophomore Mitchell Chaffee and freshman Bobby Trivigno each scored twice in the win.

That victory, combined with St. Cloud State tying a pair of games with Miami and Minnesota Duluth losing to North Dakota, allowed UMass to vault from No. 3 to the top spot. St. Cloud State (11-1-2) dropped to No. 2, with Minnesota State moving up to No. 3 and Minnesota Duluth falling to the fourth spot

Last edited by a moderator:

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
I'm always proud of my degree from the Commonwealth's flagship. But this is as fun as the Calipari basketball years (presumably minus the corruption, too) or the 1-AA football title in '98, and that's not something we alums get too often. That's fine with me, as I place more value in the improved academic reputation than athletics. The rarity also makes a run like this all the more special.

One more thing...

The University of Lowell, Southeastern Mass University and Boston State need to revert to these names.

;)

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
UMass downs Hockey East rival UConn Saturday night and gets an early Christmas present under the tree a about an hour ago.

They edge out St Cloud for the #1 ranking in the country.

Carvel has done a fantastic job turning the program around in a short period of time.

Correction, there is a split poll apparently?

In the poll I always look at, the USCHO poll, UMass is 1 and St Cloud 2. In the USA Today/USA Hockey poll, it’s St Cloud still at 1 and UMass 2.

Either way, it’s a great accomplishment for the Minutemen, who have been off the NCAA hockey radar for awhile.

UMass is also 1st in the Pairwise and KRACH ratings which take into account SOS and other factors.

Here’s a link if anyone is interested in that kind of stuff. The regular polls are up top and you scroll to the bottom of the page for the specialty polls:

Rankings

Last edited:
Reactions: 08SeaBass08

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Massachusetts nets first-ever No. 1 ranking in USCHO.com Division I Men’s Poll

For the first time in the history of the program, the UMass men’s hockey team is ranked No. 1 in the country, receiving 26 first-place votes in the USCHO’s Divsion 1 men’s poll.

The Minutemen improved to 12-1 with a 7-4 win over UConn Friday night, scoring four goals in the third period to break a 3-3 tie. Sophomore Mitchell Chaffee and freshman Bobby Trivigno each scored twice in the win.

That victory, combined with St. Cloud State tying a pair of games with Miami and Minnesota Duluth losing to North Dakota, allowed UMass to vault from No. 3 to the top spot. St. Cloud State (11-1-2) dropped to No. 2, with Minnesota State moving up to No. 3 and Minnesota Duluth falling to the fourth spot

Congrats to the Minutemen, enjoy it while you can, as these #1 rankings usually last a week, two if you're lucky. Now comes a challenging home-and-home versus Quinnipiac.

P.S. BU and BC played their first ever scoreless tie on Saturday night, but it was a sterling contest, I can assure you, with the teams trading chances literally right up to the final horn in overtime.

Zero settled between Boston College, Boston University

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Congrats to the Minutemen, enjoy it while you can, as these #1 rankings usually last a week, two if you're lucky. Now comes a challenging home-and-home versus Quinnipiac.

P.S. BU and BC played their first ever scoreless tie on Saturday night, but it was a sterling contest, I can assure you.

Zero settled between Boston College, Boston University

The Pairwise Rankings which determines the 16 teams that go to the NCAA playoffs don't look good for BU or BC right now.

Rankings

Arizona State is becoming a recruiting nightmare for teams in colder climates. Jack Eichel laughed about it 4 years ago

Jack Eichel on Connor McDavid, Arizona State hockey and USA vs. Canada (Puck Daddy Interview)

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Hal Gill's alma mater 1 Merrimack 0 2 minutes left in the first period.

I really enjoy college hockey, men's & women's. :nod:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Forgot to bump this over the weekend, and I will apologize in advance for my UMass bias. I am an alum and two of my three children have attended (one in law school now and one a Junior at Amherst...yes I am old).

The Minutemen came back Saturday night for a great come from behind win to split the weekend series with a tough Quinnipiac team (now ranked 5th at 14-3). Last night they played against another ranked opponent, Yale (16). Game was close and physical, 2-0 heading into the 3rd, when Yale tied it at 2. UMass scored the go ahead goal less than a minute later and added two more for the 5-2 win.

It's been kind of a lean year for Hockey East, compared to the normal standard, with Providence (10) and Northeastern (11) the other HE teams in the Top 20.

Links...

USCHO Poll:

https://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-mens-poll/

Pairwise:

Rankings

KRACH:

Rankings

UMass with the 7th toughest schedule in the country. They are off until January 4th when they face the other UMass team, Lowell (;)).

Finals this week and then the WJC’s. I’m hoping Canada is eliminated early so Makar doesn’t miss any games :laugh:

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I went to the BU at Harvard game last night and it saddens me that fan interest in Harvard hockey is zero. The attendance was announced as 1,900 and that was mainly BU supporters.

ali-macgraw-5-ryan-oneal-3.jpg

Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
UMass is slaughtering NU 4-0 with 11 minutes to go in the second. NU can't get anything going on offense or defense.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
NCAA refs are even more sensitive than NHL ones. Not a good look giving a goalie a 10 minute misconduct over nothing like that. On track for a shutout at that point. NCAA is as far as he will go.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Defenseman took a penalty, goalie said something mean to the poor official and he gave the goalie 10. Odd...

UMass kids don't stick around to watch the #1 team, eh?

They cant. Its holiday break.

They arent allowed back into the dorms until 9:00 this morning. Even thats one day early due to the storm tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->