College Hockey NCAA Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NCAA Rule 28.2 which was instituted some years back stipulates that the Goalie if assessed a Major Penalty must go to the box, serve his penalty himself, Backup goes in to replace him, gets a 1 minute warmup. Until 1942 Goalies at the NHL level did in fact serve their own Penalties and no Backup's (mandate of 2 Goalies dressed didnt start until 65/66)... starting in 1939 the NHL allowed one of the skaters defending the open net on the Penalty kill to borrow the Goalies stick & gloves... With scoring down in the NHL, some have suggested the League adopt the NCAA Rule or even goes back to the pre-1942 rule with a twist; both the Starting Goalie serving the penalty in the Box & the Backup stapled to the bench. So be it on 5 on 4, 5 on 3 or whatever, no Goalie at all, up to the Defencemen & Forwards defending on the Penalty Kill to keep it out.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Bruins are well bellow the contract limit, who are some of the top college free agents this year.
By my count they have 6 available contracts, Pare,Bukac and Steen I assume will get them,maybe Bergland and maybe Justin Bergeron, Boston has done well with College FA,they'll be at least one,as for your question I have no idea who's available, I'll ask around

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I have a hard time figuring out these polls.

UMass crushes #8 Northeastern at home and then loses the away rematch in OT the next night.

St Cloud beats Western Michigan (10th at the time) twice, 5-3 and 3-0, both at home.

Northeastern has the better win% and RPI (5 and 7 vs WMU’s 16 and 13), but SCSU still takes over the top spot.

Doesn’t really matter as long as UMass can stay in the Top 4 because the other three teams are all from the West and (theoretically) they will be in different brackets.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston

UMass crushes #8 Northeastern at home and then loses the away rematch in OT the next night.

St Cloud beats Western Michigan (10th at the time) twice, 5-3 and 3-0, both at home.

Northeastern has the better win% and RPI (5 and 7 vs WMU’s 16 and 13), but SCSU still takes over the top spot.

Doesn’t really matter as long as UMass can stay in the Top 4 because the other three teams are all from the West and (theoretically) they will be in different brackets.

There definitely seems to be a disconnect among the writers here and now is when the pairwise starts to take over. NU had little business winning that second game too.

Just from a personal standpoint, NU has been lucky enough to see St. Cloud (a win) and UMass at home. St. Cloud is a great team but UMass is f***king terrifying.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
There definitely seems to be a disconnect among the writers here and now is when the pairwise starts to take over. NU had little business winning that second game too.

Just from a personal standpoint, NU has been lucky enough to see St. Cloud (a win) and UMass at home. St. Cloud is a great team but UMass is f***king terrifying.

Appreciate the info, particularly as I have not gotten to see St Cloud yet this year. Primeau seemed to be having a rough night in the first game vs UMass (at Amherst). Looks like he rebounded nicely on Saturday, stopping 45 shots.

May 9, 2010
Weymouth

Don't get hung up on the polls. Writers have a habit up moving teams down if they lose. These polls mean nothing! Move your attention to the PWR rankings, that is all that matters for NCAA seeding.

I am a Northeastern fan (like NUHockey above) and agree that UMass is scarier than St Cloud. That first UMass game vs. NU had some tough bounces to start the game off (thinking of the first three goals for UMass) and there was no coming back from that quick start. The second night was a great game that I felt NU stole, so it was certainly an interesting weekend! If both teams meet again at the Garden it will be a treat for hockey fans, but not my blood pressure.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston

Yeah I agree with top 4 being important for UMass. And I was at the NU game and UMass was the better team, it was nice to see the win but UMass deserved it...

Also nice to see a few NU fans in here. Tough lost last night they need a win tonight.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
bh_Feb052019_A048.jpg

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
First visit to BU this weekend by the Arizona State Sun Devils. The RANKED Arizona State Sun Devils.

Rankings

The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog
@Kovi and I want to make it to a Sun Devils game before the season is out. My travel schedule makes it hard. Hard to believe they are ranked so soon after going D1. I feel like I have a connection to them though, as their goalie's dad was my son's goalie coach in years past.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

About the bolded, be honest...who saw this coming?

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
@Kovi and I want to make it to a Sun Devils game before the season is out. My travel schedule makes it hard. Hard to believe they are ranked so soon after going D1. I feel like I have a connection to them though, as their goalie's dad was my son's goalie coach in years past.
You will be amazed at how crappy their rink is. Not sure how they can maintain a D1 program in that facility.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
BU has yet win the Women's 'Pot as a varsity program. Let's go Lady Terriers!

BU advances to Women’s Beanpot final on Reagan Rust’s shootout goal - The Boston Globe

That’s surprising.

Somewhat related...

My buddy’s kid plays for Keene State’s Club team (which is ranked fairly well in the Northeast). They played BU’s club team recently and kicked the shit out of them. My bud was really surprised. He thought, given the quality of BU’s D1 program, that their club team would be really good as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad