NCAA Frozen Four

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Hunwick :amazed:

Michigan gets the empty netter 2-0. Scooter Vaughn...what a name.

The game was choking at some points, but you do whatever you need to win. Good job Michigan!

Last edited:

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
big-ten-logo-pentagram.jpg

:D

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I didn't mind the game. It was a nail biter and had me nervous all game. Defense wins championships and Michigan will put that to the test Saturday.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I liked watching Hunwick. It was like an ice hockey version of Rudy.

Kid is supposed to be only a 3rd string goaltender. Nobody expects much out of him. He's only 5'7". And yet he pitches a shutout with some very nice saves.

Then again I could bare watching this game because Columbus has prospects on Michigan's team (Matt Rust and Kevin Lynch). Also kept an eye out for Jon Merrill.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
UMD should be the favorites in the championship game. Michigan played terribly in the defensive zone and if they give up power plays like they did against North Dakota UMD will cash in.

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND
UMD should be the favorites in the championship game. Michigan played terribly in the defensive zone and if they give up power plays like they did against North Dakota UMD will cash in.

Agree. Michigan just used their miracle. ND was brutal on the PP, and UMD has been hot lately. Hunwick isn't as good of a goalie as ND made him look. That won't happen again.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I'm sorry. What? Do you know anything about the sport of hockey?

Oh no doubt they did well at blocking shots and clogging up the middle throughout the game. I meant they turned the puck over on breakouts too much at times and let North Dakota walk right in for clear chances at the net five to ten times. I should have been more specific.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
Oh no doubt they did well at blocking shots and clogging up the middle throughout the game. I meant they turned the puck over on breakouts too much at times and let North Dakota walk right in for clear chances at the net five to ten times. I should have been more specific.

They did to NoDak *exactly* what Montreal did the Washington in the last couple games of their playoff series last year. They let NoDak hold the puck along the boards all game, and NoDak couldn't adjust. Their clear chances at the net almost all came in the final few minutes of the game when NoDak was taking big risks.

It was a masterful coaching job by Berenson and his staff.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
They did to NoDak *exactly* what Montreal did the Washington in the last couple games of their playoff series last year. They let NoDak hold the puck along the boards all game, and NoDak couldn't adjust. Their clear chances at the net almost all came in the final few minutes of the game when NoDak was taking big risks.

They didn't all come at the end of the game. There were a couple at the end of the second and two plays in sequence (about 30 seconds apart) at the beginning of the third where North Dakota sprung a player in from the left side for a wide open break on Hunwick.

I wouldn't contest that Berenson's plan worked - of course it did - but North Dakota obviously wasn't held along the perimeter the whole game. They had some excellent chances on their initial entry into the zone; if they were kept to the outside it was only after the initial rush was over. Also, with a one-game elimination upsets are easier to accomplish than during the course of a seven game series. I wouldn't quite compare your achievement with Montreal's against Washington; even if you were just comparing the game plan.

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND

I don't want to sound sour, but at what point does Berenson get credit for getting outshot 40-20, with the scoring chances margin 4-1 in favor of the opposition? Whas that his recipe for success going in? I would love to hear that pep talk..."lets go out there, get dominated, chip in a goal, get an empty netter, and win." The Sioux didn't move the puck, and didn't get the bounces, not saying they deserved them, just saying they didn't get them. Hunwick had one heck of a game.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
That's what I saw too. Michigan played well defensively, give them credit. But it doesn't negate the fact they were, by and large, thoroughly dominated.
Without Hunwick standing on his head, or a little puck luck for UND, the score could've easily been 4-1, 5-1.

nowayguy

Maybe Next Year
May 31, 2009
Say what you want about Michigan's style of play but if you're a fan of the Wolverines the only thing that matters is the final score :yo:

Go Blue!

Moosie

Oct 22, 2003
Indianapolis
NHL.com says Brock Nelson had to be taken off the ice on a stretcher after a back-first hit into the boards. Anyone see this?

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
NHL.com says Brock Nelson had to be taken off the ice on a stretcher after a back-first hit into the boards. Anyone see this?

yeah. it was an odd play. a really strange hit by a UM player at about the goal line, sent Nelson into the boards. the UM player then crashed into him.

terrible vid but here:

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Agree. Michigan just used their miracle. ND was brutal on the PP, and UMD has been hot lately. Hunwick isn't as good of a goalie as ND made him look. That won't happen again.

Yikes. Try not to be so blatantly biased. It was clearly all UND did wrong, and nothing Michigan did right.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Frattin should be able to get over the loss soon enough. According to Ron Wilson (AM 640) Frattin will likely be in the lineup against the Habs on Saturday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad