NCAA Free agents (O'Connor Signs With Ottawa)

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
guess he was right all along....
Not necessarily. In fact, given that the Oilers received a call today saying they were out, it's more likely he was actually wrong. This isn't a huge loss - he would have been a nice addition to complete with Broissoit but we need a goaltender who can play now.

This Laurikainen information is interesting though. He would be a similar acquisition who could split time with Broissoit in the AHL.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Good... He can go drop a puck into someone else's net. These college guys who do this crap really piss me off. Who the heck do you think you are? You havent done anything in the NHL.
How is he doing anything wrong? Multiple teams are courting him and he did the respectful thing by calling the teams who he didn't sign with to thank for their interest. Blaming an individual player because multiple teams are trying to sign him is silly.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Good... He can go drop a puck into someone else's net. These college guys who do this crap really piss me off. Who the heck do you think you are? You havent done anything in the NHL.

He would have been a nice addition to the prospect pool but there's some good goalies available this draft. I do hate the big drama and build up that some of these college guys pull.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Not necessarily. In fact, given that the Oilers received a call today saying they were out, it's more likely he was actually wrong. This isn't a huge loss - he would have been a nice addition to complete with Broissoit but we need a goaltender who can play now.

This Laurikainen information is interesting though. He would be a similar acquisition who could split time with Broissoit in the AHL.

Louis Jean isn't one to fabricate stories and if he was meeting with those 3 teams about goalie coaches and not ours, then that's a sure sign we were a distant 4th

even if he informed the Oilers just today...

either way not heartbroken....we all remember our last great "NCAA sweepstakes" winner and how its turned out :cry:

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
I wish no ill on him unless he signs in Vancouver. In that case I hope they trade Markstrom who goes on to become a vezina winner, and hope O'Connor busts.

Xelstyle

Jan 23, 2011
Chair and a Desk
He would have been a nice addition to the prospect pool but there's some good goalies available this draft. I do hate the big drama and build up that some of these college guys pull.

He has an opportunity to decide where would be a best fit to start and potentially live out his career. A decision that could and probably will affect his career. This is no LeBron James with a television segment, and any drama hate you have should be directed towards the media whose job is to share every little bit of information right away, speculate when there's none and go over the same things if it gets even quieter.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
It's not a big loss but he would've been a decent free goalie prospect. It's like J Schultz. People aren't getting excited about him because they think he will dominate - they're getting excited because he's a good free prospect.

SchultzSquared*

It's not a big loss but he would've been a decent free goalie prospect. It's like J Schultz. People aren't getting excited about him because they think he will dominate - they're getting excited because he's a good free prospect.

Yeah right "good"... it is clear he wants an easy ride on his ELC... he will sign in the EASIEST market to play in for a goalie behind a Lundqvist/Skapski or 600 other goalies in OTT and make those sweet max rookie contract monies for doing **** all... then he will leave in free agency... no confidence in himself obviously... not a starter in this league

Jmask83

Oct 3, 2009
How is he doing anything wrong? Multiple teams are courting him and he did the respectful thing by calling the teams who he didn't sign with to thank for their interest. Blaming an individual player because multiple teams are trying to sign him is silly.

Dragged on waay to long. Even NHL vets dont do this stuff. A lot of the good ones sign on July 1st.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I feel like we've just been rejected on the Bachelor.

30k4l8i.gif

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
No he wasn't... He was talking to edmonton, today was the day O'Connor called the teams he didn't choose to let them know his decision.

Oilers the first ones out today...clearly not talking to them that hard....
along with that Louis Jean tweet, makes me think we were a distant 4th
he may not have ruled us out, but that doesn't mean we were close in the running

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
He most likely wasn't going to help the team short term and I want to see an established goalie in our net. I know it would be nice to have a free prospect but w/e.

Tyjo

Oct 3, 2012
Dragged on waay to long. Even NHL vets dont do this stuff. A lot of the good ones sign on July 1st.

My thought:

Free agency is different than this situation. In free agency, they have to compete with other UFA's. If they don't jump on the opportunity quickly, the offer may quickly close and be given to another player. While players can't directly talk contracts opportunities with new teams, they have up to two months to prep the possible destinations for themselves and family with agents/off the record players prior to July 1st (and now late June with contract window implementation) This situation was just blown up by media, I don't blame it on him.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
My thought:

Free agency is different than this situation. In free agency, they have to compete with other UFA's. If they don't jump on the opportunity quickly, the offer may quickly close and be given to another player. While players can't directly talk contracts opportunities with new teams, they have up to two months to prep the possible destinations for themselves and family with agents/off the record players prior to July 1st (and now late June with contract window implementation) This situation was just blown up by media, I don't blame it on him.

Good point. Plus NCAA players are so restricted in how the can interact with pro teams they don't have the experience with NHL organizations or the lines of communication that NHL vets and CHL players have.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I'm actually happy he signed with Ottawa, now they have to move out one of Hammond, Lehner, or Anderson.
I'd do 16th OA for Anderson and a 3rd, or Lehner for Marincin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad