NCAA Free agents (O'Connor Signs With Ottawa)

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Your argument not only makes no sense but it also ignores what actually happened.

Umm, what? So you're saying all things are equal all of the time? All saves are the same, not matter the circumstances?

Ok then, then both those goalies are clearly quality NHL starters by that metric. Their careers say otherwise, but that's not the metric we're using.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Umm, what? So you're saying all things are equal all of the time? All saves are the same, not matter the circumstances?

Ok then, then both those goalies are clearly quality NHL starters by that metric. Their careers say otherwise, but that's not the metric we're using.

No what I am saying is that your premise about the Sabres being down 3 plus goals every game and then the opposition just firing a bunch of low %-age shots does not make sense and it does not reflect what actually happened or what statistically happens in the NHL.

As I said, there is a reason why when quoting Corsi the stat Corsi close is used. Statistically teams that get a quick lead tend to sit back and as such take fewer shots. So the predominance of shot a goalie faces on a poor team would tend to be when the game is close. There is no statistical evidence to suggest that bad teams make for better sv%. Nor is there any empirical evidence to support your assertion that your argument applies in the specific cases you mention above. And finally, if you actually watched Buffalo you would have seen how well these guys played.

As to your reference to a specific "metric". I have no idea what you are talking about.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
As nice as it would be to get a decent goaltending prospect for free I think we are a long shot for this guy.

Not a big deal any which way. He is a long ways from being a starting goaltender.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
As nice as it would be to get a decent goaltending prospect for free I think we are a long shot for this guy.

Not a big deal any which way. He is a long ways from being a starting goaltender.

I have nothing but a hunch here but I think he ends up in Ottawa or in NY.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Never really had the feeling he was going to come here. He wants the best place to develop and from what we've seen lately, this wouldn't be that. You never know I guess.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I have nothing but a hunch here but I think he ends up in Ottawa or in NY.

I think it'll be Ott or Van. I have a hard time seeing any young goalie signing in NYR when their franchise goalie is locked up for 7 more seasons. It's one thing to figure that it'll take 2-3 years to get your game up to the NHL level where he could compete for a starting job... but to know that regardless of how you do that you'll never be a starter there? Eh... I just can't see it.

Ott, Edm, Van all have the advantage that their starters are not locked in for over half a decade. 2-3 years from now none of those teams have any commitments in place, or their guys are in their final years. I would have to think that that holds some appeal and would factor into the final decision.

Fingers crossed that EDM comes out on top. But like always... I won't hold my breath.

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
I think we will get him.

Sure, he doesn't expect to jump to the NHL right away, but careers are short, and Edmonton is the quickest path.
This team does have a lot to offer.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Am personally hoping he signs with the Senators, they re-sign Hammond, and it frees up Craig Anderson.

I'd be cool to have a legit tandem in Bakersfield, though.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Would be nice if he choose Edmonton simply to provide more comp for Brossoit, but I won't lose any sleep if he chose another. We need a goalie now.

stoff

Apr 19, 2007
There are alot of arguments in this thread about goalies save percentage on bad teams. For more of an analysis go to war on ice. In the goalie statistics page you can sort by High Danger, Medium Danger, and Low Danger shots against and the save percentage. You can further refine it to compare your two goalies. I think you guys are arguing about enroth and lindback. For example lindback has a .789 save percentage on high danger shots while enroth has an .811. Both have similar save percentages on other types of shots.

So go look at it and get some concrete numbers to support your assertion.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
There are alot of arguments in this thread about goalies save percentage on bad teams. For more of an analysis go to war on ice. In the goalie statistics page you can sort by High Danger, Medium Danger, and Low Danger shots against and the save percentage. You can further refine it to compare your two goalies. I think you guys are arguing about enroth and lindback. For example lindback has a .789 save percentage on high danger shots while enroth has an .811. Both have similar save percentages on other types of shots.

So go look at it and get some concrete numbers to support your assertion.

"Concrete numbers".

Subjective silly stats.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
It's amazing how excited everyone (including myself) gets over European and College free agents. Seems like just yesterday that Raanta was considering signing with us but chose Chicago. He hasn't amounted to much.

Damien Brunner from Europe was supposed to be so great and came in and had an amazing first NHL game but hasn't been to special since then.

Couple years back Casey Wellman was the must have college free agent forward. Most of you right now are saying who??

Dekeyser and Sustr are pretty good dmen that were top free agents but they aren't anything special. Not saying there aren't good ones because there are and I'm very happy that we pursue these free agents as it shows me that we are at least doing everything to improve our club but let's not get too disappointed and heart broken if O'Connor doesn't pick us :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad