NCAA Free agents (O'Connor Signs With Ottawa)

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Just like Crosby was damaged goods a few years ago?

The difference is that Crosby was the best player in the world. Lehner has shown at this stage he's merely a mediocre goalie.

So lets say Lehner does come back fully healthy (he probably will sooner or later) he's still just a mediocre goaltender at this stage in his career. Potential to improve on that sure. But far from a sure thing.

McDeathbyCheerios*

The difference is that Crosby was the best player in the world. Lehner has shown at this stage he's merely a mediocre goalie.

So lets say Lehner does come back fully healthy (he probably will sooner or later) he's still just a mediocre goaltender at this stage in his career. Potential to improve on that sure. But far from a sure thing.
If we trade for Lehner, it won't be a high pick and it's in hopes he would be a backup and that Scrivens was being moved in a deal and we were getting a starter

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
I'd be fine with Lehner if he was the backup. If they're bringing him in to be the #1 then that's the same problem as before where you're hoping that other teams' scraps can be your top goaltender.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Lehner's injury is concerning. I want no part of Hammond.

Pack your things Lehner, you're outta there.
fcV2JDY.gif

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Lehner? Ugh he just sounds like a typical Oilers goalie and with that being said, I want nothing to do with him.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I thought everyone out east was saying Lehner had slam dunk starter potential. Just a year ago OTT fans were saying he's a blue chipper for them.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't mind Lehner as long as he isn't the starter. He has better potential than Scrivens.

Maybe we could get Hammond, but again, maybe not as starter. Maybe as a 1b starter.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Lehner is a good backup choice, at 23 he's clearly ahead of the curve for his age. The concusion is obviously concerning but at his age he could be a legit starter if given the chance.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I thought everyone out east was saying Lehner had slam dunk starter potential. Just a year ago OTT fans were saying he's a blue chipper for them.

He started out pretty solid last season, but then fell of a cliff and then got injured.

He's still huge, athletic, talented and uber competitive.

I don't think he's a starter yet and I'm not sure Edmonton is a place he'd really learn to be one too though.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
I would go for Lehner and maybe try to get Darling or Raanta out of Chicago. I'd like to have a proven #1 but those will require an overpay and I can't see a #1 without some question marks being available.

But firstly how do we get rid of Scrivens?

White Water Kayker

Nov 28, 2014
This team needs a STARTER, not a 1B, or a shared net. We need someone who is good, who can give the kids and the coach, some confidence back there... The rotating **** show since Rollie left has to stop.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
This team needs a STARTER, not a 1B, or a shared net. We need someone who is good, who can give the kids and the coach, some confidence back there... The rotating **** show since Rollie left has to stop.

I sooo completely agree.

I get chills thinking about Lehner, Talbot, Jones, ect
We already tried that.
I don't know which starters are available, but I trust Chiarelli to find that information out. Hoping one of Howard or Bernier can be had

White Water Kayker

Nov 28, 2014
I sooo completely agree.

I get chills thinking about Lehner, Talbot, Jones, ect
We already tried that.
I don't know which starters are available, but I trust Chiarelli to find that information out. Hoping one of Howard or Bernier can be had

Craig Anderson might not be a bad option if Ottawa signs Hammond?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Put me in the camp that wants a proven starter on the Oilers rather than more gambles on backups that "might" become a starter.

If the Oilers move out Scrivens... then sure... get one of those promising young players who might have a shot at becoming a starter... BUT then you also need to add a starter.. a Niemi, Howard, Miller type.

I know some of those guys don't even have particularly sparkling numbers.. but they've proven they can play the starter role in multiple seasons and that means something. They have been in the spotlight and proven they have what it takes to be at least average as a starter... and that's all the Oilers need... a decent starter who won't wilt when thrown in for 50+ games.

Sure a Jones, Talbot, Lehner type might be a decent addition... but NOT as a starter.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
if we go for a goalie from Ottawa, we must try hard in my opinion to go for the most experienced in Anderson, because he is what this team needs. if we were ever able to use a combination of picks and prospects, likely guys like Marincin, Musil and Simpson, plus #16 and #33 would also likely have to be in play, to snag say....Anderson and Talbot from the Rangers and move Scrivens out, we will have upgraded the goaltending significantly! add a few good d-men from further trading or from UFA, and get rid of Nikitin, and we are in much better shape on the back end than last year!

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Craig Anderson might not be a bad option if Ottawa signs Hammond?

Anderson is the only choice that doesn't come with flaws although he has had his fair share of injuries and is getting up there in years.

Every other option is filled with big question marks.

Going the free agent route with Niemi, you risk signing an average goalie to a cap crippling contract.

Going the trade route for a proven starter, you run the risk of bringing in an average starter (there's a reason they are on the trade market) who also has a poor contract in Howard, Crawford, Miller or Ward.

Or trade for an unproven in Talbot, Jones or Lehner.

They all have major question marks.
I think Anderson and Bernier if he's stupidly made available are the best options. I think Bernier is a #1 stuck in an awful situation. All the other options don't look that enticing to be honest but the Oilers have to do SOMETHING so there's bound to be disappointment with whoever they acquire.

Last edited:

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I'm in the Craig Anderson camp personally, and would love if they could somehow get a young backup like Vasilevsky or Anderssen/Gibson or something. Bump everyone down a peg on the depth chart. It's way too much to expect I know, but ****it lol.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Anderson, for sure.

I'm just not considering him anymore after Stauffer reported a few weeks ago saying he had 2 seperate conversations with Ottawa guys that both said Lehner would get traded before Anderson.

If Anderson isn't available I'd just avoid Ottawa, Lehner's concussion issue and poor play prior to that and inability to waive him to the AHL so he can find his groove again make him undesirable.

I'd like to know who our coach is going to be cause it does effect things, Babcock coached teams are all about shot suppression and they allow quite a bit less shots then most other teams, so a goalie who is comfortable and can stay focused with lighter workloads is good, the greatest emphasis appears to be on stopping shots in the slot. McLennan coached teams tend to protect around the net most fiercly, prioritize the slot second, and essentially disregard the point and perimeter shots letting those go through at a higher than average pace. McLennan's system actually fit Niemi's tendencies quite well, the fact that he still wasn't great there makes him an obvious pass.

My short list right now (under the assumption Anderson isn't available) is: Bernier & Talbot

if we go with McLennan as coach: Neuvirth, Lack, and Raanta might be decent options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad